PDA

View Full Version : Restarts

JCenduro
10-17-2005, 05:01 PM
What's up with the restarts?I thought the drivers are told on radio when there is a green next time around. Some restarts cost drivers the race. I don't understand why when the officials see this kind of starts, someone should throw a yellow and get it right.

2crew
10-17-2005, 06:28 PM
I agree with you. The last restart for the thrillers was crap. Your first place car was a good 4 to 5 car lengths ahead of your second place car. How can a driver even make an attempt at a pass if he spends the last 2 laps of the race trying to catch up to the leader? I don't know why we can't have consistancy when it comes to officiating the starts and restarts.

richardpetey
10-17-2005, 09:40 PM
The LM's and the SS's used up all the allotted KOTM yellow laps in their races, leaving us with a yellow, mystery green restart................... :eek:
Actually, its the new thriller starting formation, a mandatory 5 car lengths distance between racecars on a green restart, naturally, to cut down on yellows, hehe................................... :confused: :help:
UNCLE PETEY....................... :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Zcar
10-18-2005, 11:57 AM
I think the big problem is the officials don't give a crap about any of the thrillers. I don't know if it's the same for you guys, but they degrade the 4 cyl. guys on the radio like they have no business racing. All they wanna do is get the race over with. During the double points weekend, we didn't even get the flagger telling us next time around. I think that needs to change. Maybe if the ran us first, they wouldn't be so frustrated with all the cautions in the mod's, ss', and lm's.

NEETS-1
10-18-2005, 05:59 PM
I'm not going to disagree with you Scott...I have noticed some impatience myself with the officials....BUT the impatience stems from the "WTF" driving that has been going on in the 4cyl class lately. C'mon...climbing the side of a car in the backstretch??? The "get you back" attitudes...(I have heard it).
I think if you want the respect of the officials...drive like race car drivers and I will do everything possible to get you the respect you deserve from the officials. I didn't start this division just to have more cars out there. I started it as a cheap, learning division so they could try racing and if they liked it maybe move up to other divisions. If the racing keeps up like it is and drivers just don't care....like I said- I started the division, I will also drop it.
The 8 cyl Thrillers have been doing an excellent job and I agree that the last restart was a poor one. It may have not been 5 car lengths, but it looked like three to me at least. You see...this is why I tell you in the drivers meeting to not bother the officials while the race is going on.
The flagger threw the green...and both Ed and I were being deterred by someone...he on the radio and I had someone in the tower. By the time we realized the green had flown...it was too late. I promise you that will never happen again. If someone bothers me again in the tower...I will fine them $100/ dq the car they are with from the track and give the fine money to the division for the purse.
One other thing...I say it in the drivers meeting and it is well known in all divisions. Do NOT rely on the scanner for your starts. As a driver, you should always be ready to go. Start the race like there was no scanner system. The scanner is an optional aid to the drivers. THE main use of the scanner is for line ups and safety such as fire or wheel coming off, etc. The flag calls are optional and could not be used the entire event.
You can ask any driver in any other division if they hear the "green flag" on all starts...they will say "NO". It is not because there is a "no respect" deal going on. It is just the way it is.
Either way, I do apologize for that "lousy" start.

pv18
10-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Billy,
I know that you are not, and can not be, responsible for every aspect of track management. But I spent last season driving a 4 cyl., this year in an 8, and ran both on Sunday. Sunday's 4 cyl. Thriller race was an afterthought to a long day. The tone was set early in the year with the 8 guys/girls that this is not Enduro driving. What happened to the Thriller classes that were designed to inspire a new generation of driver and TEACH him/her the correct way to race? Start him/her out in a class of car that they are interested in building/maintaining so hopefully they progress into the Top divisions. Inspire the average fan in the stands to start racing. The majority of drivers in our classes did not grow up with a MOD or LM in the family. Nor did they get the chance to run go-carts from the age of 6 on. Many need someone to tell them they are wrong or offer a suggestion. All year they have run last, once everyone has gone home. These shows have always been rushed. In my opinion, for these classes to grow, the fan needs to SEE a “melting pot” of cars on the track that are all relatively equal. If the track wants racers, they will need to be patient, fair, CONSISTENT, and treat the drivers as drivers. This means proper consistent Tech, re-starts and officiating, and yes, in many cases, the BLACK Flag for unsportsmanlike behavior. No matter whom it is.

Again, I do not mean to bash anyone. The Mountain is the best place I have run and hope this is not taken out of context. Now is the time for open discussion so we do not see the same results next season.

Patrick

PS - Sorry to take this off topic. If it helps, I had no idea the green was coming either.

James White
10-18-2005, 11:05 PM
The 4 cyl class is always the one to be bashed. It runs last, gets no respect and seems like it's a burden most of the time to be there at all. The one to be picked out on Sunday for the way it was raced. I may be wrong, but there was some pretty rough riding out there in other divisions that was not mentioned. By the way, after the race the 4 cyl guys shook hands and talked about the night. :confused:

BlingxBling
10-19-2005, 12:41 AM
Maybe to resolve the problem for next year, do like they do at MVS, they throw the white flag as indication next time around it will be green. If you have issues seeing the white flag and still are not aware the green is coming out, then personally you shouldn't be on the track.

NEETS-1
10-19-2005, 01:54 AM
Jimmy, First off there is a physical reason why the 4cyl and the Thrillers must run after the other divisions, not because they are "not respected". The tires they both use scrub the rubber laid down off the track. These other divisions need this on the track or otherwise there would be all train racing...especially in the Mods. And yes...there were incidents in other classes, but this thread was brought up about the Thrillers as I was answering "Zcars" (Scott) and jcenduros" posts. Believe me, we are not happy about them either but that is another thread.
This is the 4cyls first year here as a (trial) division and already they are acting like 20 year veterans. I would think there would be none of the bull you usually hear in other divisions. Remember, respect is mutual. If it is given with none in return, you lose it. It works both ways.
You know me pretty well by now...you know I would like nothing better than to see this division thrive. Did I listen to you guys when you said you wanted to race every week? I put you on whenever I could. In 2006, you will be on the schedule every week.
Listen to some of your friends in the division that raced at other tracks and you will find out how you are treated here and how fair we really are to the division.
I made a prediction to Joe Calvinni in the Spring. I said in 2/3 years, this class (and the Thrillers) will have the highest car counts with good people. I still think I am right in thinking that way. So far, I'm on the money.
Now it is your (all of you) turn to help yourselves think of how to become a better class....and improve the racing. I will help in any way I can, because I just love the people in these divisions.

James White
10-19-2005, 06:43 AM
I don't drive my kid 3-4 hours with 2 cars and to do every enduro with 3-4 cars because I don't like the track. The people are great, always kind and considerate, and I know how we get treated on wrong island, LOL :lol:

wshultz
10-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Speaking of "WTF" driving, something needs to be done before I snap and start throwing stuff at cars on the track or someone gets hurt in that 4c class or one of us workers. When we're doing clean up, some of the speeds going on under yellow aren't safe, like Sunday in the 4c, they were driving like a bunch of nuts in that race. :disgusted

richardpetey
10-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Another excellent comment from good people trapped behind the toll booth curtain............... :eek:
Junior and dear ole dad..............perfect together................. :applause:
UNCLE PETEY................. :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: