PDA

View Full Version : top gun to appear at meeting of newly formed support group

tgse
10-18-2005, 06:47 PM
Dear Fellow Sports Enthusiasts:

You are cordially invited to the INAUGURAL meeting of Long Island Citizens 4 Sports on Wednesday October 26th, 2005 at 7 PM. A newly formed not for profit group aimed at heightening the awareness of the drastic need for more sporting and entertainment venues for the young and old of Long Island to enjoy on LI. We need a strong and active base of members to help spread the word to the Long Island media, the public, businesses and rally our Long Island Government Officials. At this first meeting we will be looking for spokespeople and potential members interested in taking on an active role with the organization as well as board members.

Our first guests of honor and speakers will be the folks from Top Gun Entertainment. They will be present to bring us up to date on their proposal for a Sports and Entertainment facility on county owned land in Yaphank. We will be the first group to view the DVD presentation that Top Gun presented to the county in mid September. Visit their website at topgunse.com to familiarize yourself with their proposal.

The meeting will be held at Windows on the Lake at 235 Lake Shore Rd. Lake Ronkonkoma, NY 11779. Directions will appear below. Dress is very casual. Some food, coffee, and dessert will be served.

Please be so kind as to RSVP to LIC4S@cs.com by Monday October 24th 2005.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Bruce Jackson
LIC4S Founder

Directions:
>From Eastern Long Island:
Take the Long Island Expressway (495) , Westbound, to Exit 60. Stay on the service road to the 3rd traffic light. Turn right onto Pond Road (northbound). Pond Road becomes Lake Shore Road, approximately 1 mile ahead, (the Lake will be on your left), continue to Windows on the Lake.

>From Western Long Island:
Take the Long Island Expressway (495), Eastbound, to Exit 59 (Ocean Avenue). Stay on the service road to the 2nd traffic light. Turn left onto Pond Road (northbound). Pond Road becomes Lake Shore Road, approximately 1 mile ahead, (the Lake will be on your left), continue to Windows on the Lake.

CIN
10-26-2005, 10:51 PM
Thanks to Bruce Jackson of LIC4S@cs.com and Peter Scalise of Top Gun for the meeting tonight at Windows. It was very informative. It was also a pleasure to meet with each of you personally and have my questions answered.

I am planning on attending each of the community meetings to show my support for this project.
For those who were not at the meeting there are 3 public hearings scheduled as follows:
November 14 - from 7-9 PM at
Longwood HS, 100 Longwood Rd., Middle Island, NY 11953
November 21 - from 7-9 PM at
Suffolk County Community College - Selden Campus, Nicolls Rd
November 30 - from 7-9 PM at
Bellport HS, 205 Beaver Dam Rd., Brookhaven, NY 11719

Top Gun also has updated their site. Check it out: www.topgunse.com

Tell your friends, come support this project. Also, let your legislators know that this project has your support. After all they count on your votes to put them in office.

Great food too!

See you on the 14th.

Cindy Johnson

Mortgage Guy
10-27-2005, 09:01 AM
I didn't really have a chance to read everything on the site, but a quick question, if they get all of the approvals necessary to build this awesome facility, when do they expect it to be open for business????

The Bullfather
10-27-2005, 09:27 AM
check out the new video are layout plans and ideas, kinda cool watching it. They really pump the Nascar thing, even though they don't don't have Nascar apporval, yet!!! lol

CIN
10-27-2005, 10:10 AM
I asked Peter Scalise of Top Gun the question as to when it would open. If they get approval, then they have to start with all the permits, etc. that goes with the building of anything. They are looking at the possibility of 3-4 years, once they get the RFP approved, with certain areas being opened before others; such as the dirt track (for motorcross) before the paved track. One thing he did mention is working with the MTA to get the RR platform built. You know how quickly the MTA does things.

Go on the website to see all the plans. The great thing about it is this is all around sports and entertainment. Not just racing, so it would appeal to all. The indoor arena could hold indoor football, lacrosse, concerts like at Westbury; outdoor would be like The Beach. A playground area for the little ones when dad is racing and mom has had enough of trying to keep little Johnny or Susie entertained.

They need the supporters to show up at the public hearings though. So think about all your family and friends and figure out who this would appeal to and let them in on this. :help:

Cin

PS: anything to add, this would give the teenagers a place to hang and work instead of just King Kullen. And we sure don't need anymore shopping or big box stores. :p

btgoss
10-30-2005, 02:12 PM
I am sitting in the Tampa Airport as I write this, had a wedding, but it was nice to come to Flordia. I flew out Wednesday morning, so I obvisouly missed the meeting, and hope to get involved with this project. But...
I am not trying to ruin anyones corn flakes, but this project has very little hope of being built. I know that esn't mean we should just throw in the towel, and wait until all racing is pushed off the island, but I think it means we have to take a much more proactive role in helping the Cromarty's keep Riverhead alive and well.
There is so much more that can be done with that facility, and if we can help start a fan/community based group to rebuild/improve Riverhead, perhaps that is the more realistic way of keeping racing alive on Long Island.
I heard a rumor that the Marty Himes museum might move to the track grounds. That would be awesome, combine that with a "mini" Riverhead track for the 1/4 midgets and go carts, and maybe a racing themed restaurant, along with a general upgrade to the facility, and Riverhead could become a great neighbor and money maker.
But of course, I have taken a percoset and a xanax to help me get on this plane I am about to board, so maybe I am just nutz.

CIN
10-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Your are not nuts. I want Riverhead to stay open. But in the same token I also support the building of this facility. And the optimist in me can see them both existing. It works down in Florida and North Carolina. As racers there can never be enough places. And with the support of all racers we can work at getting the Yaphank site and work at keeping Riverhead. After all, just because there is a Wal-Mart doesn't mean that Target won't build a store!

Cin

tgse
10-31-2005, 07:12 AM
I am sitting in the Tampa Airport as I write this, had a wedding, but it was nice to come to Flordia. I flew out Wednesday morning, so I obvisouly missed the meeting, and hope to get involved with this project. But...
I am not trying to ruin anyones corn flakes, but this project has very little hope of being built. I know that esn't mean we should just throw in the towel, and wait until all racing is pushed off the island, but I think it means we have to take a much more proactive role in helping the Cromarty's keep Riverhead alive and well.
There is so much more that can be done with that facility, and if we can help start a fan/community based group to rebuild/improve Riverhead, perhaps that is the more realistic way of keeping racing alive on Long Island.
I heard a rumor that the Marty Himes museum might move to the track grounds. That would be awesome, combine that with a "mini" Riverhead track for the 1/4 midgets and go carts, and maybe a racing themed restaurant, along with a general upgrade to the facility, and Riverhead could become a great neighbor and money maker.
But of course, I have taken a percoset and a xanax to help me get on this plane I am about to board, so maybe I am just nutz.

btgoss

no disrespect intended-but we are prepaing to answer to responses like yours--"this facility has no chance of getting built" would you care to elaborate on your thoughts there---add some actual basis to it----have you done any background or due-diligence on this project and what benefits its brings to Suffolk county if it were approved---do you know anything about the area it is being proposed---do you know that the idea of the proposed facility was actually brought forth by the Suffolk County exec---the list goes on----We too have zero problem with Riverhead Raceway and only hope it stays open for another 50 years---but honestly take a look at what is being proposed--the oval track is just one component of the facility---you cannot compare the two and although your thoughts on the expansion of Riverhead Raceway would be great---i think the sight of more outlet stores over there is more in line with what you will see. If you dont think that LI'ers deserve more than a 1/4 mile oval track with our millions of people and all the taxes we pay then your living in a bubble.

btgoss
10-31-2005, 09:41 AM
TGSE,
I am going to be behind this new project as much as I can. I am serious about that. Unfortunatley I do not live in the town where this project should be built, I live in Babylon, I will help as much as I can.
But I stand by my statement that this project has very little chance of being built. Why do I say that?
Because the motto of Long Island should be "Not In My Backyard."
These types of projects are not seen as politically rewarding, and often cause more negative press then any of our "politicians" have the stomach to endure.
So my saying that this project has very little chance of being built, has nothing to do with the parties involved, it is more of the local climate. If it will make you feel any better I have serious doubts that NASCAR will be able to get the Staten Island track built either. Initial political reaction to that track has been less then positive as well, the key difference is that we all know how much money NASCAR is willing to throw at that track, we don't know that Top Gun has those types of resources.

But honestly, I hope I am wrong.

CIN
10-31-2005, 11:37 AM
To btgoss:
The last I looked, Babylon was located in Suffolk County. I am not sure where you live in Babylon but you can write letters, email or call with your support of this venue to the following:

Mr. Steve Levy - County Executive - email address: county.executive@suffolkcountyny.gov

For Babylon there are a few depending on where you live:
Paul.Tonna@suffolkcountyny.gov
Allan.Binder@suffolkcountyny.gov
Elie.Mystal@suffolkcountyny.gov
David.Bishop@suffolkcountyny.gov

Letters to the editors of Newsday & Suffolk Life.

I, like you, also support Riverhead Raceway. I firmly believe that the Top Gun proposal would not interfere with Riverhead schedule. Top Gun is not just proposing a quarter mile track. They would be able to schedule other forms of racing on the nights that Riverhead runs. So all of us who run the "Head" could still go there, while the drag racer or motorcross could run at Yaphank for example.

Also, "the not in my backyard" people are the ones that come out to public hearings. The people that support ideas usually don't. This time the supporters "HAVE" to come out to the public hearings and show their support.
Check my previous post as to dates, times and places. Hope to see you, your family and friends there.
Cin

DAN D.
11-02-2005, 11:20 PM
BTGOSS, were involved at all in the last lengthly thread here on the jam titled
"NEW TRACK" I really do not remember or want to check.. It had alot of information in it . That was about 3 months ago when the last time TGSE had posted here on the Jam .. and in my opinion ONLY, I will state this concerning my view on this subject ........
A STILL TOUNGE IS A WISE HEAD
some know what I mean and some don't, thats just the way it is..

allhailunc
11-03-2005, 05:20 AM
Wanna know something funny?I have written to just about every official i can think of in Suffolk county,Brookhaven township and even local politicians and know what I've gotten back in response to this?"DICK".While I support&applaud the efforts ot TopGun to bring a "state of the art" racing facility to our region why aren't those in the position to answer questions to the public doing just that?All we know of is what TGSE(thank you for the info you do pass on) is giving us and the synopsis of meetings being held.I ask this.Why are the politicians holding back in either admtting to the public that "Hell yes this is a reality we are going forth" or"HUH- what you talking about?".are they,our local "erected" officials afraid to answer?HMMM I wonder

nuff said and this is just my inifficient rantings here :mad:

tgse
11-03-2005, 07:59 AM
Wanna know something funny?I have written to just about every official i can think of in Suffolk county,Brookhaven township and even local politicians and know what I've gotten back in response to this?"DICK".While I support&applaud the efforts ot TopGun to bring a "state of the art" racing facility to our region why aren't those in the position to answer questions to the public doing just that?All we know of is what TGSE(thank you for the info you do pass on) is giving us and the synopsis of meetings being held.I ask this.Why are the politicians holding back in either admtting to the public that "Hell yes this is a reality we are going forth" or"HUH- what you talking about?".are they,our local "erected" officials afraid to answer?HMMM I wonder

nuff said and this is just my inifficient rantings here :mad:

allhail---for one and most importantly-its election year---no politician on any level will take a position on this or mostly anything until after Nov.8
second--this project has to be officially presented during the county mandated RFP process--this RFP is due out by Dec 31.05---until that time and all potential proposals come in and are looked at --you wont see any official take a stance--its politics 101

all we can do its put forth a massive amount of support for this proposal as the best use for the county property in Yaphank---keep doing exactly what you have been-writing and calling and please attend those public meetings----they are going to be a very major part of the decision process in regards to what the RFP will call for as a use of the property-We need that RFP to mirror as close as possible Top Gun's plans

also although writing your local officials is great --please remember this is a County project--write and call the County exec most importantly--local officials depending or your area will not get too involved until they see where the county exec and county legislators sit on this proposal

allhailunc
11-03-2005, 08:37 AM
I have on more than 1 occasion.I get a better response out of a loaf of Levy's rye than I do from him

tgse
11-03-2005, 09:18 AM
I have on more than 1 occasion.I get a better response out of a loaf of Levy's rye than I do from him

persistance is key allhail--i have seen response letters he has sent out to supporters that have written him--they are all identical and scripted but he does respond

SuperShafts
11-14-2005, 12:43 AM
IF 1 person complains about something.........does it go heard

IF 1 person shows up in support of something......does it get noticed

IF 5,000 people complain about something.......it gets heard, it also gets noticed

IF 5,000 people show up in support of something....and out number everything else, and it is on record it is pretty damned hard to pretend it never happened.

So now read this a few times more and THINK....think out loud if you need to...but no matter what showing up at a meeting involving something you want sure as hell beats staying home...

The only way to change that "not in my backyard" bull is to leave your arm chair like the "not in my backyard" people do and MAKE it happen

SuperShafts
11-14-2005, 12:46 AM
Just to go on a little more

Have any of you went door to door speaking to your neighbors about this proposal? have any of you called friends and told them about this proposal?

No? what are you waiting for..the "not in my backyard" people have and are going to door to door....that's the difference between them and a lot of people that supposedly want something

allhailunc
11-14-2005, 05:29 AM
Well then I have a question for you_have you folks gone door to door or have you called anyone_not that I know of.I have to agree with another posted subject about the "murky" info passed on.As for the "not in my backyard" feeling-the majority of those at Riverhead do not live in the "backyard" of the propsed site-What do the actual people of the area truly feel?maybe those in charge should go door to door and bring forth their proposal with those that will have to live in the "backyard"And one last item-the last time i contacted Levy on this subject i didn't get much of a reply but it did say that is goes well with ham&cheese :disgusted

CIN
11-14-2005, 06:20 AM
I have talked to my neighbors, friends, customers, racers & non-racers, teenagers, 20 somethings, People in parking lots with custom cars, posted on the jam, given out flyers, even went so far as to talk to some street racers parked in a parking lot.
As for info from Top Gun. All anyone has to do is go on their web site and information is available there or email them.
"Not in my-backyard" well this is county owned property and the county "will" put something there.
As for Riverhead. I do and will support Riverhead as long as it's open. Which hopefully is another 50 years. I fully believe that both facilities can coexist.
Charlotte doesn't hurt the other tracks down in NC. No one said this facility has to run circle track on Saturday nights. And every racer I know would rather be strapped in a car than be a spectator. Even if there were a NEXTEL event, which is probably a very far fetched idea. Being on both sides, having driven and spectating, I can assure you the rush of driving beats watching anyday.
And in checking with a site in Yaphank that posted a survey, most residents there would rather have this facility than another landfill.

But, from going to other public hearings on various subjects, I know that most of the time the people that show up to these things are the ones against it. People that are for something tend to have a wait and see type of attitude. Unfortunately, then all the powers that be hear are the "no's". And then they decide against it and go a different route. Maybe that is what happened at Calverton. Maybe we all should have gone out and supported this. But, what we ALL do have now that's different than Calverton is this is
"County" owned land not town.
Cin