PDA

View Full Version : Top Gun Site

CIN
11-14-2005, 12:23 PM
For anyone interested that doesn't already know check out the Top Gun Site at www.topgunse.com to see what is planned. There are discussion boards, what the current project looks like, links and you can also contact them to find answers to your questions.

Also, you can contact LIC4s@cs.com, they are a grassroots volunteer group of racers helping out to get this project approved.

Cin

fastgal
11-14-2005, 12:29 PM
i'll be at the meeting tonite but i have i question and it is which cars that run at riverhead are legal at a 3/4 mile track

tgse
11-14-2005, 12:39 PM
i'll be at the meeting tonite but i have i question and it is which cars that run at riverhead are legal at a 3/4 mile track

there is proposed to be a 3/8 mile track designed inside the 3/4 for weekly racers

RGeeProductions
11-14-2005, 01:44 PM
It's not the size that determines if Riverhead classes would be able to race there, it would be up to the track owners/promoters that make the division rules.

fastgal
11-14-2005, 05:19 PM
I believe Nascar would not let anything other than mods or possibly late models run at a big track, so the 3/8 is good to hear about.

LongIslandJam
11-14-2005, 05:33 PM
However, what would determine if Top Gunse gets a NASCAR sanction. Would it be possible with a NASCAR track right next door... Usually they pick one or the other. Please clarify. Thanks!

Mortgage Guy
11-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Good Luck at the meeting tonight, I really wanted to go but had no babysitter, hope everything went well for you guys.

fastgal
11-15-2005, 07:18 AM
I'm just using their name (Nascar). I really don't think any sanctioning body would let you 'run what you brung' due to the high speeds on a big track. I know there are many safe cars in the lower divisions, but there are many which aren't. There is a big difference between 65-70 at Riverhead and what I would assume to be 130mph on a larger track. I'm just looking at the liability part of it.

Fireitinthere
11-15-2005, 02:08 PM
look at the divisions that run at Thompson on a 5/8 mile track. This track if built would be no problem for the Riverhead type cars to run there as well.

hollywoodmic
11-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Just to clarify something WJ. The Cromarty's have "right to refusal" on NASCAR sanctionings, in their Region. They were one of the parties included in Wall Stadium going NASCAR, also New Hampshire way back when and so on. I would say if they oppose this facility it will not be so easy to get a NASCAR sanctioning. Remember one thing Mrs. Cromarty is on the Board of Directors for NASCAR and they also generate the most money in the country for NASCAR licenses, for a weekly facility for over 20 years. With that said I understand at this time that the Cromarty's are not opposed to this facility at all. If anything having them in the corner of Top Gunse would help more than hurt. I'll be at the next meeting...............can anyone get up and make a speech. I was just at Phoenix over the weekend the local paper said that they expected 300,000 people for the 4 days and the local economy got a $220 Million boost for the weekend. Talk about putting a race track in the middle of no where. What a great facility and such nice people. If they can pull this off on L.I it would be fantastic.

CIN
11-15-2005, 06:01 PM
Hollywoodmic,
There were people that did get up last night and state what a Nascar event brings in in dollars. From reading other posts on other sites, the people that went to other rooms on other choices to put on the property, which mainly were local residents, stated they don't want the facility. When it was brought up about the revenue this could generate they stated that they didn't care how much money Nascar would bring in, they didn't want it. So that is why we are asking people who support this to come to the next two meetings. Emphasize family entertainment. Emphasize that this is for all LONG ISLAND. This IS county owned land, and ALL Suffolk County residents should have a major say in what is to be put on that land.

Cindy

hollywoodmic
11-15-2005, 06:28 PM
Cindy, I will be there.........what is it like a public forum??? Can anyone just get up and speak??? Like how Homestead Florida was devestated by a hurricane and tornadoes. How people lost homes, jobs, family everything and the thing that helped most in the rebuilding of this city was a NASCAR facility. It brought in jobs at local hotels and restaraunts, construction jobs, track workers, ect. people come from all over the country to go there. Heck, Hampton Jitney is sending a couple of bus loads down there this weekend from L.I. Don't they see that people love this stuff. I'm with Cindy, we all need to go out there and support this. Even if it fell on deaf ears and doesn't go through........at least as a group of local race fans who would travel anywhere to see a race, we can say we put the effort in. So we didn't have to travel so far.

tgse
11-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Cindy, I will be there.........what is it like a public forum??? Can anyone just get up and speak??? Like how Homestead Florida was devestated by a hurricane and tornadoes. How people lost homes, jobs, family everything and the thing that helped most in the rebuilding of this city was a NASCAR facility. It brought in jobs at local hotels and restaraunts, construction jobs, track workers, ect. people come from all over the country to go there. Heck, Hampton Jitney is sending a couple of bus loads down there this weekend from L.I. Don't they see that people love this stuff. I'm with Cindy, we all need to go out there and support this. Even if it fell on deaf ears and doesn't go through........at least as a group of local race fans who would travel anywhere to see a race, we can say we put the effort in. So we didn't have to travel so far.

hollywood --def show up and certainly do a speech about the economic impact of these facilities--but stress "family destination"

Tower Man
11-15-2005, 09:10 PM
Hey Hollywood, we've known each other a long time, but I have to correct you...Mrs. Cromarty is not on the Board of Directors of NASCAR. At one time she was on the Racing Commission, but if you look at the latest NASCAR rule book, she is no longer on that commission.

Yes the Cromartys or anyone who owns Riverhead in the future would be consulted, however, NASCAR is a business. A business which makes money and is very profitable. Therefore, if a race track were to be built, and they applied for sanctioning, I would have to think that the all mighty dollar would win out.

Both facilities could prosper under proper management. Maybe have a Long Island crown for competitors who race both facilties, similar to the Inter-club points between EKRA and LIKA.

Now let's all play nice and have some fun.

CIN
11-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Got off the phone a little while ago with a friend of mine who went in the break off group for the local residents at the Public Hearing. The moderator was a gentleman by the name of John Shapiro who said that he can't imagine the town or committe would ever arpprove a NASCAR track. Now I know that they throw the NASCAR name around when referring to any type of racing because that is all they know and hear about on TV, ads, etc.
My question is: who is this guy, he had to be someone involve with the Yaphank Committee to be a moderator and how dare he make a statement like that. Have they made up their minds already? Are we wasting our time with these Public Hearings? Are they just going through the motions?

Well I for one am NOT going to let them get away with this. Everyone and I mean everyone should come out. We have to let the ELECTED OFFICIALS OF SUFFOLK COUNTY KNOW WHAT WE AS VOTING, TAX PAYING SUFFOLK COUNTY RESIDENTS WANT. A PLACE FOR THE 'WHOLE' FAMILY TO GO.

WELL JUST MY OPINION

CINDY

DAN D.
11-15-2005, 10:59 PM
I do not know who the John Shapiro is that was there and who you are talking about, except there is a John Shapiro that is a property planner from a manhattan office that has been involved with numerous plannings, residential, business in connecticut, nyack, etc . then again just reachin to see if the shoe fits? I guess you can call someone in charge of the meetings and ask if it is the same John Shapiro? then again I do not know but seems coincidental that this John Shapiro is involved with land use, Zoning and Land Use Regulation,Comprehensive and Land Use Planning ,

This John Shapiro seems to be a very knowledgeable professional when it comes to land use and planning , again sorry if this is not the correct guy, just trying to make the shoe fit . thanks for all efforts Cin.

http://www.nyplanning.org/directory.html#ppsa

http://www.mas.org/ContentLibrary/abeles%20priess%20shapiro.pdf

http://www.dobbsferry.com/village/Committees/DLandUseCommittee.htm

http://www.nyack.org/residential.htm

http://www.mas.org/ContentLibrary/07-REFERENCES-REC.PDF

hollywoodmic
11-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Hey Tower Man, I didn't know if she was still on the board, but you and I both know personally..............she holds some weight. I know Bill France Jr. didn't show up at Stafford or Thompson for their 50th Anniversary of their facility. He was at Riverhead. I am playing nice, by the way. All I was saying that it isn't "that easy" to get a NASCAR sanctioning. Anyway, I'll try to do some research so I don't sound like a jack*ss up there. I hope to see all the people who are on this site and love to critisize Riverhead and the way it is run..............well now's your chance to create a future for racing on Long Island. Stop sitting behind your computer screen and your screen names and speak out on what could be the future of L.I Racing and entertainment. Even if you don't speak, show up in support of the facility.

Rich Mergl
11-16-2005, 03:46 PM
If there is one giant nail in the projects coffin it is her.

I was originally in the main auditorium. When they asked local residents that had remained to talk about the S&E project to go to a seperate room.

In this other room the gentlemen in charge said (BASICALLY) we are not here to talk about any thing that has tires. (WHEN HE HEARD THE WORD NASCAR).He said the only tires we will talk about is traffic and any other issues. When I protested I was shot down as usual.

As I sat with my hand in the air being ignored, I realized Nanette was always recognized promptly. This was in my opinion set up to be the Nanette Essel environmental show to stop the project, do to the close proximity of the Carmens River. If I were recognized these would have been my issues.

WHAT ABOUT:
1) Suffolk County gas pumps a stone throw from the Carmens River. They service all county vehicles including police.( DO YOU THINK ANY GAS OR OIL HAS EVER BIN SPILLED AT THIS SITE)
2)Suffolk County Vector again a stone throw from the Carmens River. (DO YA THINK ANY TOXIC CHEMICALS WERE EVER SPILLED ACCIDENTALLY THERE) NAAAAAA
3)Suffolk County Farm, What happens to all the animal waist that sits on the ground.(THINK SOMEONE PICS IT ALL UP) Do you think fertiizers or chemicals are used on the crops?
4)Fire Training center, What kind of fluids are used there to start fires that get washed into the ground.
5) Grucchi Fire works do ya think any horrifying chemicals are used there.

With the exception of Grucchi Fire works all the above are much closer to Carmen River. And we should be worried about a S&E project? I don`t think so.
Nanette has done wonderful things for Yaphank Thru the Civic Assoc. but I feel here I`m sorry she is Wrong.

SuperShafts
11-16-2005, 07:19 PM
There isn't water anywhere on Long Island that isn't already ruined, i don't even let my dogs drink the ccw. (cancer causing water)

However i was in the affordable housing room and again no one listened to anything i brought up, no one knew why grucci was moved to where is now and why the property surrounding it is ZONED INDUSTRIAL ONLY, but that didn't seem to matter and the long island home builders owner was there and he has yet to answer the question on how it is he expects to build a house on an affordable issue that they are concerned with. However i am not making it easy for them and i am not giving up and i will make every issue they bring up a disaster for them. I am meeting with the buisness network association of long island and hopefully that will make a huge difference.

Rich Mergl...as you felt in that side meeting so did i in the other that it was full of closed minds and a total incapability for them to think of the mistake on there own as i put it before them.

btgoss
11-16-2005, 08:38 PM
I was not able to make the meeting, and I doubt I can make the next one, it just isn't going to work for me schedule-wise, and I am sorry for that, but unfortunatley this is what I expected, as far as how the meeting went.
Perhaps I am just too cynical, but we are not living in a place that is going to be open minded enough to help make something like this a reality.

Here is an example. I live in West Babylon, they are trying to pass a local ordinance that would set a minimum size on a piece of residential property. This is being done to stop builders from splitting a larger parcel of land into 2 or more plots for housing, (as is happening in Nassau, and quite frankly happened on my block so that my house, and those of my neighbors could have been built.) SO... many of my neighbors are all in favor of this new ordinance, even though had this ordinance been in place 5 or 6 years ago, virtually NONE of them would be living in the homes they are in now. Doesn't make much sense to me, but that is the basic mindset I see on Long Island all the time. We live in a place where the needs of the many are almost never considered (to use a Star Trek analogy).

So I think the decision has alreay been made, and had been made long before it had been made public knowledge that this land would be available for another use. It sucks, and it is not fair, but that is the kind of place we live. I mean think about the Roosevelt Raceway land deal, I think that plot of land sold for about 10 million, which is nothing when you consider the size of the land, with the standard must include "affordable" housing provisions. And what was built there? A Lowes, a bank, a short stay hotel, a BBQ restaurant, a movie theatre, tons of shopping, oh yeah they are finally getting to that "housing" thing now. I know this is Nassau, but honestly, are county politics that different.

This is why I have said in another post, we should still try to help this project happen, but we need to be realistic and start making plan to lead a community effort to help keep Riverhead. Make it a good neighbor, and keep it around. Trust me, on Long Island, keeping something you have is much easier then getting something new.

But those are the thoughts of a cynic....

DAN D.
11-21-2005, 01:21 PM
BT i remember the roosevelt raceway acres went for 1 million an acre back then.. such a deal. now its 2mil at least , and that is so true about what you said here.. thanks for the memory ... btgoss states:
I mean think about the Roosevelt Raceway land deal, I think that plot of land sold for about 10 million, which is nothing when you consider the size of the land, with the standard must include "affordable" housing provisions. And what was built there? A Lowes, a bank, a short stay hotel, a BBQ restaurant, a movie theatre, tons of shopping, oh yeah they are finally getting to that "housing" thing now. I know this is Nassau, but honestly, are county politics that different.