PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Derby....

Mortgage Guy
11-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Just wanted to say that even though I froze my as$ off I had a great time today, we saw some great racing in November and got to listen to Bob Finan in his glory up there in a different booth announcing the Tour Type Modified event, but then again Bobby is always synomonus with announcing anywhere he can, great job once again by Ted Baxter and the whole gang at Hampton Jitney.

RGeeProductions
11-26-2005, 10:06 PM
I second that about Bob. He was great as usual. The racing was great BUT there was A LOT of torn up equipment!!! And I want to send a thanks out to Ted for the ride!!! Pictures and a few video clips will be up, I hope, by Sunday night.

Mortgage Guy
11-27-2005, 10:28 AM
RGee, you were on the bus???? I still am not sure who you are, where were you sitting??

RGeeProductions
11-27-2005, 10:31 AM
I went with JA up but bought a ride back from Ted, 4th row by myself on passenger side going back. The guy sleeping!!! And the pictures are up on mainpage and I will finish video clips when I get off work tonight.

Fat Albert
11-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Steve, I should have taken the bus. Ted said the Islip video was great! I've got to see it. If you make it to the meeting on Wednesday, bring it please. I'd love to see it.

James
11-27-2005, 10:57 AM
synonomous...dit doo dit doo doo synonomous...dit dit dit doo

LongIslandJam
11-27-2005, 11:15 AM
LOL... It was like a Riverhead reunion at Wall, many of which forum folks such as the Halpins (Mortgage Guy & Water Guy), Roger "Turbo" Turbush, Freddie "With my Mask" Kraft, and Art "What's there to Engineer" Bischel, Jim "Where's Hole 19" Wichert, George "The Bull" Sprague, and Bill "Free Agent Crewmember" Stockert to name a few...

Then we had our friends from PA such as the Botts (Ms. NEETS & Mr. Destruction) and Richard "I got no car to be DQed" Petey.

Then we had our friends from NJ such as Gary "The Video Man" Silverman and Big "Jim" Murdoch of JerseyRacing.com. They got great videos, buy them from www.jerseyracing.com.

We had our ModSeriesScene friends such as Walter Newcomb, Ted Baxter, and Howie Hodge in attendance as well.

And yes, the Jam squad of Richie "Too many Photos" Grodski and Fran "Where's the Glare" Lawlor along with myself.

What a great day and Bob Finan topped it off as well. I glad others heard him as for a second I thought I was hearing voices...

Once again top notch Turkey Derby!

RGeeProductions
11-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Also seen was Spider "Where's the 6 Cylinder Modifieds" Ligon, Rusty "Wish I Brought My Car" Turbush, and J.A. "The Foot Can't Stop Going" Ackley!!!!

Teds Race Tours
11-27-2005, 05:11 PM
What a great day it was. I gotta send a BIG thanks out to Steve Halpin for bringing some of the Tommy Baldwin archives to watch on the Bus ride. The videos from Islip and Riverhead from 1984 . Almost brought a tear to my eyes seeing such great footage with all the top Long Island Stars plus the invaders of Richie Evans, Jimmy Spencer, Dick Trayner, and Corky Cookman.I've been humming "Eye of the Tiger" all day. :)

George, you picked the wrong trip to miss, but I enjoyed my conversation with you guys very much before the race. It's always great remembering our hero's of the past, while waiting for our current hero's to hit the track.

It was awesome having Bob Finan take the ride over to Wall with us yesterday. It was fitting having Bob there watching the old Islip footage. All of us were going thru our mental rolodexes to pull out the drivers names. It was great having Bob jump behind the mic and run through the race like he'd been preparing for it all week. I even had a few of my MSS friends that I was sitting near comment on how entertaining Bob was. Good job Bob.

The also to Jim for bringing the old Star and Martinsville Modified race. What a great days worth of videos.

Rgee. Great pics. looking forward to the videos.

J.A. Good seeing you too, as we almost never get to run into each other. You shouldn't refer to me as an MSS guy though. I saw more Riverhead races this year than Tour races, and I'll always be a Long Island Guy. I also have way too much fun in turn 2 at Riverhead with the best group of friends a guy could have so Long Island is truly my "Home"

Jaws
11-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Ted, I hope you worked out a way to make copies of those races???

You know somewhere I have a video of Wayne Andersons 201 lap tour victory at Riverhead. I have to dig that up.

We parked the car not too far from your bus , but we were a little late getting there and left right after the 100 lapp mod race.

Teds Race Tours
11-27-2005, 06:24 PM
Mike.
I told Steve that since i have his address, that I would be breaking in and stealing his stash of tapes. No cash, Jewelry, or other valuables would be touched. Since I'm stealing them anyways, I figured there is no reason to copy them.
Seriously, I think we need to set up some night over the winter to get together and watch these gems.Maybe in a restaurant with some food and drinks would be good.Anybody else agree?

LongIslandJam
11-27-2005, 06:42 PM
I agree Ted... Great Idea!

Name a place and a time and we can name the weekly event. Maybe a (Friday, Saturday, whatever) Night @ the Races...

Fat Albert
11-27-2005, 09:46 PM
I AGREE!!!

hollywoodmic
11-28-2005, 10:31 AM
We can figure something out with the videos. When Tommy Baldwin passed away, we had a night when I was TB's girlfriend's house and she had these 2 huge boxes of tapes, unlabled. I get the task of watching them and determining what races they are. We did have a great time, hell we even got to watch John Meade run time trial laps at Islip. The entire trip brought back a lot of memories. We showed up at the track, Bob Finan announced (he was great) still selling French Fries and stuff, and I ended spotting for Donny Lia. We had a great car, you just can't spot for the people behind you. All in all a great day, and I say thank you Ted for putting us all together and giving us an avenue to have some fun.

TMAC
11-28-2005, 12:33 PM
i read this forum and i agree the racing at wall was great[to bad tc couldnt finish]matt hirshman is going to be some hell of a driver if and when he goes on the tour,maybe he will get dads ride when hes done?would have loved to have been on bus trip,was the bus trip announced through the jam?did anyone check out jimmy blewetts wall mod[they call it the showtime cadillac]really sweet looking and was told jimmy did the shine job on it.a lot of torn up up stuff but no points and just a trophy makes things really interesting
please announce on this site if anyone is having a video night with those old videos
thanks

debbie33
11-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Jimmy actually did the body on that car. The car looked great. He won the 2nd and 3rd Wall SK type mod race.