PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Stadium/Arena?

broz
12-12-2005, 07:13 PM
JA inspired me on this topic...

Run with it :applause:

Past or present venues are fine.

Rich Johnson
12-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Local Saturday nite race trackwise...I always liked Riverside park for its fast paced, nonstop action, not to mention the carnival like atmosphere.
Ace speedway in Altamatshaw N.C. is a super clean well run track.
Charlotte has my vote for "cup" track.

RacinRich

W. J.
12-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Talladega, up high! :p

RGeeProductions
12-12-2005, 11:06 PM
Modifieds - Nazareth, Riverside Park, Wall Stadium - In that order

Jones44
12-13-2005, 05:21 AM
For racing?
Bristol, Daytona, Dover, Sears Point, Watkins Glen....

broz
12-13-2005, 09:33 AM
For football - Mile High in Denver or Soldier Field in Chicago (both "classic" stadiums)
For baseball - Yankee Stadium (sure it's old and amenities suck, but c'mon it's the House that Ruth built) Ballpark in Arlington is one really cool place to catch a game also :applause:
For racing - Indy is one of the most incredible places I have ever seen! (you must go once before you die, for ANY type of race) and....
I'll take that ole', broken down bullring at "The Head" any day of the week. (I will always live with fond memories of my Dad racing there) :wave:

LongIslandJam
12-14-2005, 05:04 AM
Racetracks: Nazareth, Riverhead, Oswego, Lancaster, Watkins Glen
Stadiums: Camden Yards, Keyspan Park of Brooklyn
Arenas: Haven't been to a good one yet LOL

allhailunc
12-14-2005, 05:26 AM
Baseball-gotta go with Fenway(with Toronto a close second)
Nascar-nothin like Daytona under the lights
Football-Baltimore(Ravens)
Lacrosse-our own Stony Brook
Boxing-the mecca of professional sports MSG
Hockey-Orlando

but to me the ultimate in arena's is the wide open ocean fishing(don't give a damn if i catch anything just peaceful)

Jones44
12-14-2005, 05:40 AM
For the "other" sports LOL:
Baseball- Gotta go with Shea- I'll take a pitcher's park over a hitter's park any day
Basketball- Continental Arena
Hockey/Boxing- MSG
and agreed with Allhail- Lavalle Stadium (SBU) is great for lacrosse and football.

Mike Fields
12-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Gotta go with Freeport since I grew up there. For a regular weekly track, there is great competition, as was shown at the North-South Shootout at Concord Motorsports Park.

And you can't beat the professionalism of two tracks like Thompson and Stafford. Like Ricky says, Thompson has Onion Rings!

My thought is that Stafford has great Clam Chowder!

allhailunc
12-15-2005, 05:23 AM
Leave it to Mr Fields to think of the food aspect(lol) and here all along i thought you were hooked on Riverhead golden brown french fries

Jones44
12-15-2005, 05:40 AM
Nah, best race track food is @ Langley (VA).

Tower Man
12-15-2005, 08:49 AM
For us traditionalist and sports arena's, Yankee Stadium is the best. Now broz, when I'm in the skybox, the amenities are great.

Racing wise is tough. Been to so many race tracks, I've lost count. They all have something that grabs you. But for me, if I had to pick one, it is Bristol. Imagine the modifieds there?

Mike Fields
12-15-2005, 10:07 AM
Those (alleged) hot dogs at Martinsville still give me nightmares!

Mortgage Guy
12-15-2005, 08:18 PM
For me it is Giants Stadium, but as far as the races, I love going to Thompson.

Rich Johnson
12-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Mike,
Are you referring to those weird "pinkish" things they like to put onions on to hide the taste?

RACINRICH

Tower Man
12-23-2005, 05:16 PM
At the October race, they also had Ball Park Franks. The sign said, "The official hot dog of NASCAR."

Yes Mr Fields, I still remember the look on your face when you saw the pink hot dogs.

Rich Mergl
12-23-2005, 07:17 PM
POCONO
The longest John, 30 Men's rooms handle 75 @ a time. 30 Lady's rooms handle (NEED SOME HELP HERE) @ a time. Great food, Plenty of pre-race entertainment.
STAFFORD SPRINGS
Great pit party prior to race, good food. Very well run by the ARUTES.

Mike Fields
12-23-2005, 11:45 PM
Never mind the look on my face when I first saw them... Do you remember what my face looked like when I actually took a bite of it? Lori still laughs at that one!

W. J.
12-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Rich, pocoNO is probably one of the worst, (I've been there when they've shut down the bathrooms because of low septic tank capacity!!!)though I've heard about their "improvements". There is a reason that they have the easiest Cup ticket to get. Too many (bad) reasons to explain here. A place like that has no where to go but up. :mad:
You need to visit some other Cup tracks, and see the over all treatment THEY give you compared to pocoNO. Dover is nearby, too, and is in a world of difference! :)

Jeff T
12-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Nazareth??? I'm sorry, it was the worst facility I ever went to. Saw the IRL there. By the end of the weekend, my suggestion for best improvement to the track was to bulldose it and start over. You couldn't see the cars after they went through that short chute in turn 22 (at least it seemed like turn 22) and started out into the back stretch. You lost the cars and then had to find them again halfway down the back stretch.

Now, Lime Rock Park...that is a nice facility. I know it is a road course, but it is a first rate road course. Nice views of racing where ever you go. My favorite spot is watching them come out of the esses, go down no name straight, make the sharp right hander and up the hill they go.

Riverside Park (RIP) was an awesome place to see modified racing. The only 1/4 mile oval where I've seen them go in and come out of the turns 3 wide! The track was run professionally and was a beautiful facilty.

Thompson was always like a second home to me. Just some thing about the place.....

Non Racing facility: Citibank Park, Home of the Long Island Ducks. Not a bad seat in the house and a top notch facility.

Tower Man
12-29-2005, 07:19 AM
Nazareth...oh my God. The first time I directed a race there, I was walking up to the tower with Ed Cox. Halfway up I couldn't breathe and my leg was burning. Ed said, "Buddy, I've got to rest." Thank God, I said to myself. Then once in the tower, it swayed all race. Thought it was going to collapse. The only fun part there was the Piggly Wiggly down the road. (we'll save that story for another time).

And yes, Mike, I forgot that you actually took a bite. Not me!!! Ahh, the stories I could write about you. Nobody would believe them.

Mike Fields
12-29-2005, 02:46 PM
I don't know Joe. Most everybody here knows me... Yeah, they'd believe 'em!

randomrodder
12-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Uhm, Freeport Stadium? I know Islip is not a stadium or an arena but it was sort of bowl shaped. Does that count? Or am I showing my age?

broz
12-29-2005, 05:25 PM
No no, it counts for sure :applause:

The "stadium/arena" tag should have been "venue" on second thought. My intention was to get varied responses. Tried to get people thinking about any and all venues they may have attended at one time or another or wished they had.

debbie33
12-30-2005, 05:04 PM
I have to agree with Jeff T Riverside park was the greatest. You could see the whole track from just about anywhere you were and if you got bored you could go ride the ferris wheel and all the rides. RIP Riverside Park!!!

BlingxBling
01-14-2006, 03:08 AM
Let's see here...favorite race track venue, would have to be Atlanta Motor Speedway. Favorite sports stadium, YANKEE STADIUM, hell yeah! Most of my experiences were intoxicated ones, but I sure do remember learning that a cheeseburger meant "nacho cheese" burger, mmmm mmm mmmm it was good. Shea stadium is running in 2nd though. NYPD being security was pretty rough when drinking the yellow foamy stuff before a game outside of the bus. Favorite arena...gosh, Wachovia Center in Philadelphia is nice to watch hockey games, but there is another up in New Brunswick, Canada where the (the old Calgary Flames farm team) Saint John Flames used to play in. It was phenominal!