PDA

View Full Version : Mod Tour Schedule

Wheel Racing
12-31-2005, 12:02 AM
Wow, 14 races at 6 tracks! What is going on?? I thought the Tour was supposed to be on the upswing. How many guys will run their weekly home tracks this year? Should be interesting, but it is a shame that the Modified Tour seems to be dwindling away.

RGeeProductions
12-31-2005, 02:31 AM
I couldn't believe only 14, but then again, it's tentative. Seems someones doing something wrong here. It may be that NASCAR wants too much to host an event, for race and for purse. A few northeast tracks are even dropping NASCAR Weekly Sanctioning.

Drumz1959
12-31-2005, 06:13 AM
9 races at Thompson and Jack Arute's place....... I love Thompson, but in my view I'll watch a 'Head tour race anyday.... To this day, when the tour runs the 'Head, the hair stands up on my arms when the tour boys come out of two on lap one. Damn shame it's down to one race, before NH the 'Head had the record for the biggest tour purse..... Sucks big time, 1 'Head race, The 'Head is the only T/T track the tour runs .................................................. .............. Watch out for the TS Haulers Team on the tour, The team has put together an awesome crew to work with J.B. in 06 .....................www.tshaulers.com
Did you guys see Nascar's release today about the 07 regional series plans
http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=nascarregionaltour&prov=st&type=lgns

Also best of luck to all the race teams in 06, Happy New Years!

Mike Fields
12-31-2005, 06:06 PM
You want to talk about a dying tour? How about the Busch East Tour (formerly Busch North Tour)? Their schedule was released showing only eight (8) races. Are they really supposed to spend money to buy equipment to run a tour that has that many races?

There has been speculation for the past four years or so that the Busch East is going to eventually go the way of the Goodies Dash Series... or maybe be absorbed by another series.

Tower Man
01-02-2006, 06:48 AM
I love to read all this speculation. Dieing tours...series going away...too big a purse.

If you only knew ...

Wheel Racing
01-02-2006, 01:49 PM
I love to read all this speculation. Dieing tours...series going away...too big a purse.

If you only knew ...
Please enlighten us. I am a huge Tour fan and would hate to see anything happen to it, but so few races and so many at Thompson and Stafford just raises my curiosity. If there is a light at the end of the tunnel, then that would be great news.

modified_fan
01-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Yes, we don't know Mr. Tower Man. But we are intently interested so we speculate and ponder based on what we DO know, which is:

1. As of the present there are ONLY 14 races at 6 race tracks.
2. Riverhead ONLY has 1 race. We can only assume this is a financial decision.
3. Seekonk is not hosting a tour race and Jennerstown is saying that current situations make it unprofitable to host another tour race.

Feed us a bone Tower Man. A glimmer of hope would be appreciated.

W. J.
01-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Also missing is Wall Township Speedway. :confused:

Tower Man
01-03-2006, 05:36 AM
All I can say publicly is this:

Riverhead has one race because that is what they asked for, because they cannot get a sponsor for the June race.

Seekonk has not renewed their NASCAR Sanction.

I do not know about the Jennerstown situation.

Wall is Wall.

Last year the Mod Tour schedule was not complete until after Speed Weeks. I know this because I take my 6 weeks vacation around the schedule and I must pick by the first week in January.

We are continuing to seek new venues. And if you look back, Thompson and Stafford usually get 9 or 10 shows between them every year.

Yes, the purse request are high...must be $6000 to win, last paying approx. $750. As I get the okay, I will keep you updated as we add more shows. IN MY OPINION, look to see 4 more races added to the schedule.

Wheel Racing
01-03-2006, 03:09 PM
All I can say publicly is this:... As I get the okay, I will keep you updated as we add more shows. IN MY OPINION, look to see 4 more races added to the schedule.
Thanx, that is a little more encouraging. I guess we will wait and see

art11758
01-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Well said. I seem to recall the schedule being adjusted as late as March last season. Well before the season starts. I've been saving since the Turkey Derby for the annual travel budget. I'll still travel to the 10 or so races that I made this past year. And hopefully a few other shows that I haven't been able to make in the past.

Teds Race Tours
01-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Tower.
What is the Minimum purse for a 2006 Tour Race? Does this amount include the fees the track must pay Nascar? What other hidden fees might there be for the tracl owner that we don't know about? Thanks. Ted Baxter

GSM
01-03-2006, 07:04 PM
IN MY OPINION, look to see 4 more races added to the schedule.

Hum, 4 more races? Lets see, Watkins Glen, North Wilkesboro, Bristol, and Lime Rock. Hey, I can dream, right. :)

W. J.
01-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Uh, North Wilkesboro? Would that be a lawnmower race, considering how overgrown the track is reported to be? :disgusted

The others sound good. :)

Wheel Racing
01-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Hum, 4 more races? Lets see, Watkins Glen, North Wilkesboro, Bristol, and Lime Rock. Hey, I can dream, right. :)
As long as we are dreaming here, how about a race at the defunct 3/4 mile Pocono track,Trenton, and even Flemington.The "ROC 3"

GSM
01-03-2006, 11:22 PM
Uh, North Wilkesboro? Would that be a lawnmower race, considering how overgrown the track is reported to be? :disgusted

Not too overgrown, especially since the ISMA, USCS, and ASA have races scheduled there for this coming year. That is, of course, if the group trying to buy the track is successful.

www.savethespeedway.net

Jones44
01-04-2006, 05:07 AM
I'd love to see the tour return to the Glen, and since we're in fantasy-land, why not Dover? :D

Tower Man
01-04-2006, 07:02 AM
Purses are negiotiated with tracks. The minimum for a win is $6000. Nothing is hidden, it's all in the sanctioning agreement , which is between the tracks and NASCAR.

GSM...we are dreaming the same dream. Is the overheating fixed?

GSM
01-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Yeah, the overheating is fixed, and hope to not see it again. I actually like the 14 race schedule, makes it easier for me to run all the races with 1 engine.

W. J.
01-04-2006, 03:58 PM
GSM, thanks for the info on N. Wilkesboro, I didn't know about it, and it sounds like good news. Always nice to hear about a track being brought back to life. :) :) :)

Jones44, I've inquired about Dover myself, have been told that today's modern Modified chassis would not withstand the G-forces of the banking at Dover. Older style Mods ran there in the 60's & 70's, but they were on stock frames, not today's 2X3 frame rails, and light-weight suspensions. :rolleyes:

Tower Man
01-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Good point GSM. I never thought of that. Miss you guys.Your team helped make my weekends. The picnic was the best.

Gravel
01-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Good to see you Greg.

Fkraft99
01-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Yeah, Joe, we may have to leave the schedule at 14, the thought of 18 weeks on the road with you...I dunno if we can handle that much trouble in one season... lol, especially with the clown I'm working with.. lol

But hey, all we gotta say though is it's family... Jimmy will take care of the rest... lol

Tower Man
01-06-2006, 07:43 PM
But Fred, your mother pays me to look after you. I need to know who pays you to look after me.

DAN D.
01-08-2006, 09:45 PM
WJ, Today's modifieds with the 2x3 frame could not withstand the G Forces? Where did you hear that from? Maybe they could not withstand wacking the wall going 150+mph on impact? If the Tour cars are doing 145+ on a Thompson straight, not to be overgeared they would hit 175+ on a straight at Dover. Plus, you have to do is allow for the "TWIST" in the frame when you figure out the car set up and scaling...LOL (boy that would be a mathematical problem) figuring the springs and shocks and "TWIST" into the equation ..LOL All ya have to do is increase the front suspension tethers for the saftey of the other drivers. LOL

Fkraft99
01-09-2006, 12:17 PM
I Cant Tell Ya... But I Think I Need A Raise !!!

W. J.
01-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Dan D., as you know, I talk to a lot of people about a lot of things. I don't remember who it was that told me that, but it was a Modified car owner, that much I do know. It came up when we were discussing places the Mods had run, and why they no longer do. That's what I was told, and I've no reason to doubt the veracity of the person who told me that.

Funny thing about all this ado over the schedule. It's sad to lose one of the Mod Tour races at Riverhead, but I remember Mike Fields telling me a couple of years back in a conversation that the Tour races at Riverhead might drop from 2 down to 1, or so the rumor went. He was vilified for that statement (when he made it on the 'Net), and in a reputable paper, no less, but it turns out, sadly, that he was right to mention it. Ah, the irony of being correct. :rolleyes:

Tower Man
01-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Correct or lucky?

W. J.
01-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Correct or lucky, either beats being WRONG! :lol:

Mike Fields
01-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Actually, I was correct. I reported that there was a rumor that Riverhead was going to go to one Tour show. Whether that rumor came true or not is irrelevant. The fact is there was a rumor. That is what I reported on--- not whether or not it was going to come true. I touched on it heavily in this weeks' column.

DAN D.
01-09-2006, 10:14 PM
WJ, I was not doubting the power of conveying or perceiving truth, from the person you had heard this from, just wondering if there was a article about it? I think Mike was LUCKILY CORRECT in not being WRONG. (Did that make any sense?) Ah yes, it made NON-SENSE, LOL. Freddy, keep that avatar, it's great. Hey, it is a loss to see only one Tour Race at the 'Head, except now you will hear only one time from some of the Visiting Tour Drivers that Riverhead is a pain in the A** to race at, and all the rest of the stuff they say negatively about our home boys and their driving. Actually, I am referring to a few years back when JR backed into Fuller and all the tour teams were pissed at his actions.. sorry to stir up the past, except it just came to mind ..

Mike Fields
01-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Dan, what I wrote about a couple of years ago was a rumor that was a topic of much conversation one week in the pits. Whether or not the rumor was true or not WASN'T the topic; just the fact that many people were talking about it. After it was published in the column on my site, I was villified for stating as a FACT that Riverhead was going to one Tour race. That was not what I wrote.

Again, I wrote that there was a rumor. There was no luck involved. People were talking about it and that is simply what I wrote.

hollywoodmic
01-10-2006, 05:42 PM
So I have one question..........If the Tour is so important to NASCAR, and they want to get TV, big sponsors, higher car counts. Why doesn't NASCAR do something for the promoter, for the series, the drivers and the owners? Why not make it a $40,000 purse (promoter) and NASCAR puts up another $40,000 in purse money for a total of $80,000 to pay 26 spots. If a promoter like Riverhead has over $50,000 in purse money already for the show, then NASCAR's $40,000 will just add to the original purse. Watch how quick Beech Ridge, Holland, Seekonk, Wall, Jennerstown, Richmond, Lee, Lake Erie, Oswego, all these tracks the Tour has lost races at, would come back. You think if NASCAR practiced what they preached about there "partnership" with the series perhaps they'd actually become a "partner". What I'm saying is you go to a 20 race schedule and kick in to the purse for "NASCAR's oldest Division", the question is What is $800,000.00 to a multibillion dollar organization. They clear that in parking fees at Daytona. The problem is they really don't care about the Modifieds, hell the Bandelaros and the Legends have a Speed Channel Contract, but big bad NASCAR can't get one for the Modifieds who have 30 lead changes a race at New Hampshire. I am sorry, I find it hard to believe they are even working on it. Tower Man, you know my love for the Mod's, but I am beginning to have a hard time believing they care. I feel the tour is just about dead, I hope I'm wrong. As others have said on other message boards, Richie, Charlie, TB, Freddie, and all the others that have done so much to make this series what it once was must be rolling over in their graves seeing what it has become. JMO

Tower Man
01-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Hollywood, you know my thoughts and you also know I must be carefull what I say here. But I will say this...my series sends home, on average, more cars than many of the other series have attempt to qualify. We'll talk over a cold one or two...