PDA

View Full Version : Suffolk Life Today about Yaphank

tgse
01-04-2006, 02:05 PM
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15867130&BRD=1776&PAG=461&dept_id=213546&rfi=6

could people be this ignorant????

everyone read and then voice your opinion to the article

BWR
01-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Voiced my opinion, you'll see.

maestri fan 1
01-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Just thought maybe that everyone wouldn't mind seeing my opinion. Please tell me if you all agree with it. I'm just curious.

I personally feel that this track should be a definite. It will put Long Island out there in the racing world. As a racefan I see that a way to make the island a better place is to put this facility here. It would be a great asset to the place that I call home. I would do anything to get this track on the island!!!!! I think that the article is in a way correct. Having a racetrack won't take street racing away, But what it will do is get some of them off the streets which will be a start. It will give the ones who want a good place to race a place to go. I also would like to bring up a track that I visit yearly in Barre, Vermont. ThunderRoad Speedbowl. It is in an area similar to Yaphank. Actually, it is right in the middle of a neighborhood. They give the people around the neighborhood discounts, and they love it. I couldn't think of a better way to bring family and friends closer together.

W. J.
01-04-2006, 04:18 PM
What was most laughable about this person's letter is that he admits to being an illegal street racer, which automatically (in some people's minds) makes everyone who is a racer look bad, just because he was stupid to begin with and couldn't keep his appetite for racing within the confines of a safe racing area. There are others like him, unfortunately, but everyone that stays off the street and only races at a sanctioned and safe track is an asset to the community, and makes our roadways safer for all of us. But let's remember, this is about more than just a racing facility, it is about a place where people who have NO interest in racing will still have things to do as a family or group, and will benefit by it being built. As of now, no place like that exists in Suffolk County.

randomrodder
01-04-2006, 04:52 PM
The "letter" sounds staged to me. Note his address is Yaphank. No "Street Racer" is going to admit to his street racing in print, well, ok, some do, i.e. Ricers on Deer Park Ave. The guy most likely is anti racing all together and probably never raced at either venue. But, that's just my opinion. A real drag racer would like nothing better then a dragstrip, they know the value it has for youngsters to turn legit.
There will always be street racing just as there will always be alcoholics. What does one have to do with another? Alcoholics have venues also. Think about it.

unowho243
01-04-2006, 05:29 PM
I posted a really snobby comment to the author, but I dont know how you read the comments you wrote.

CIN
01-04-2006, 06:12 PM
It usually takes a day or so for them to come up.

Tower Man
01-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Yesterday on News 12, Cablevision did an editorial about the site. You can comment at cablevision.com. Or call your cable subscriber and they will let you comment on tape.

If those of us who want this facility work together, it will happen. If we allow the negative people and people from Yaphank who street race, (yeah right), well then we've lost.

We need to flood not only Suffolk Life, but NEWSDAY as well.

I am going to ask S.A.F.E.R. to get involved as well. I didn't see a Figure 8 track in the plans, but most of them could run an oval if necessary.

W. J.
01-04-2006, 06:57 PM
You can only comment to Cablevision if you're a subscriber. Those of us who've moved onto better service (satellite) and don't have account numbers, can't register. I am not the least bit sad about that. :lol:

CIN
01-04-2006, 09:48 PM
I think it's time to contact each of our Legislators with letters and phone calls. As of yesterday there were quite a few new ones who came into office.

The RFEI is currently available at the planning office.

It would also be great if those residents from Yaphank that are in favor of this facility could write letters to the newspapers. It would give some credence to our cause. The naysayers always bring up the fact that we do not live in Yaphank.

Cin

tgse
01-05-2006, 08:27 AM
I think it's time to contact each of our Legislators with letters and phone calls. As of yesterday there were quite a few new ones who came into office.

The RFEI is currently available at the planning office.

It would also be great if those residents from Yaphank that are in favor of this facility could write letters to the newspapers. It would give some credence to our cause. The naysayers always bring up the fact that we do not live in Yaphank.

Cin

BINGO----CIN--the time is know--the RFEI is out and and the new legislators are in office--it's time to bombard them and all newspapers---before the one-sided housing issue takes over----we made our point at those public meetings--but I'm afraid it appears like it fell on deaf ears--thats yet to be seen-but if Suffolk County residents make it painfully clear what will happen at the voting booths in 2 years--they will listen---let's compile a master list of all legislators and news outlets and please let's start calling the editor of Suffolk Life Mr. Willmott and ask him if in all his years of publishing Suffolk Life has he ever seen such an onslaught of opinions posted on articles about any other subject---i know for a fact they have not----Why is he not making a point of that????? we called Levy before public meetings---now it's time to call write and stop down there---THIS IS IT---NO MORE HOLDING BACK---THE PUBLIC HAS SPOKEN---THEY DO NO WANT TO LISTEN___GET RID OF THEM OR PUBLICALLY OUST THEM

CIN
01-05-2006, 01:24 PM
As Joe stated before, News12 had the editorial yesterday on the Yaphank site. You can view the editorial on their website. Also go to www.cablevisioneditorials.com to post your view points...

Hollywood
01-05-2006, 03:57 PM
How about some pressure from the top down..? It's worth a try.

http://wwwc.house.gov/timbishop/zipauth.htm

W. J.
01-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Is there any way to access the RFEI online through Suffolk County .gov site?

CIN
01-05-2006, 09:24 PM
WJ
No you can not access the RFEI..
You can get a copy from the Planning Board though. Isles office on the 4th fl of the Dennison Bldg...There is $100 registration fee for it.

Cindy

tgse
01-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Is there any way to access the RFEI online through Suffolk County .gov site?

will be available for viewing only online next week on the suffolk county website

Tracy87BB
01-06-2006, 09:06 AM
I encourage everyone who wants to see this facility built to let their voice be heard, but we have to remember that we are speaking publicly and we should - at all costs - avoid being rude and nasty and making outright personal attacks on other people's opinions. By being professional and allowing our thoughts to appear well thought out (rather than simply "put out there" in the heat of the moment), we will gain more respect and will be more likely to be listened to. I have heard that proponents of the track have already been referred to by some as "racing thugs," so let's just try to keep in mind that this facility is about more than just racing, and that by being courteous, polite, and professional in our responses, we will be more likely to get others to listen. Let's do what we can to make this project a reality!

W. J.
01-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Ah, everything comes with a fee. Rhetorically speaking, what about the fact that OUR tax dollars already paid for this??? :mad:

To Tracy: Well said, and some very good points. Everyone should take this wonderful advice you've put forth.