PDA

View Full Version : Good Happy thoughts?

BlingxBling
01-11-2006, 03:18 AM
Alright guys and gals, I think we all used enough space on the board with angry posts, so I am going to turn it around. As you know, there is the NEETS newsletter that rolls around each event giving the review of the previous race, and sometimes other information. Most of the time, not much, because there isn't much info that can be supplied. So why not spice it up some, give those readers something to read. Learn a little bit about you. I am looking for stories about the most memorable Enduro racing experience you have ever encountered? Good stories about winning, or your friend winning, or perhaps a not so good one where you crashed your car, or maybe rolled it. Details are great. It will also give me a chance to learn a few more things about all of you.

I will actually start this post with one of mine...my very first enduro, in which I had attended was not this past year, but the year prior. I had only ever been to one previous enduro, which was at MVS. 30 cars were registered to take the green for that event. I thought it was absolutely wild. Well, I did not know what was in store for me when I showed up at my first NEETS event. There were like 100 cars starting the 4cyl race. 100!!!!!! That's nuts, or so I thought just seeing the line up. When the cars took the green, I was in near shock. Still not able to get over the 100 cars. I had one of the best times ever watching this race. I really couldn't tell you who won, because I was uneducated at the time. The 6/8cyl came up next. There was one car that stood out to me. It was bright ORANGE (my fav color) Caprice looking car. Well, this car was flying...around and around and around. Well, sure enough, in turn 1 a disabled car sat. Well, as this orange car got higher and higher, it lost control, slamming the backend of his car into the disabled car, then proceeded to bounce off the wall. That wasn't even the shocking part, but when it drove into the pits for quick repair and came back out looking almost like a truck, my mouth smacked the ground. Looking at the rear, you had the ability to see the frame, due to the impact. This is just one of the many, many, many, many memories I have. Mine isn't as entertaining, since I'm just a fan watching, rather than driving. I hope to read all of yours as well.

EnduroFromDE
01-11-2006, 10:54 AM
I remember watching my first Enduro race at Mountain Speedway, like it was just last year, wait, it was last year, at the Labor Day show, I believe it was a Monday. It was me and my dad in the pits to see what the big Enduro hype was all about (NOW I KNOW). We had a car at the house that we were building to bring up there the next race (FRANKENDURO). I beleive it was about half way through the 4cyl race and my dad and I were talking about if it was possible to flip a car at this track :confused: , being they're only going 65 mph, tops, going into the turns. Well no more than two laps later, there was a little white Civic hatchback (I think) coming out of turn 4, and got clipped in the back left 1/4 panel, and sure enough, spins down into the dirt sideways, clips a stalled car, and over he went, two times, I think. :eek: Luckily, he was un-injured. That got me hooked, too, knowing you can flip like that and just climb out and laugh about it :lol: .

Geno
01-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks Bling. The newsletter from BwH should be done in, let’s say a week. I am still surprised with the response to the thread asking where everyone is from. That information goes a long long way & also helps the announcer dude tremendously. We send the press releases to a bunch of local papers. I only get one of them & the BwH recap was in there today. It mentioned everyone from the area that ran in it & where they finished. Honestly, without those hometowns, they probably wouldn’t have put anything in it. If anyone wants to throw out the names of their local papers, I would be more than happy to add them to the Newspaper PR list. Also, if you saw the results/recap in any local papers, share it with us.

EnduroFromDE
01-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Geno, which paper was running the story? I just checked my paper (The News Journal, a Delaware paper), Nothing :*-( didn't really think anything would be in there, but you never know.

ststock23
01-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Hey Geno,
The Trenton Times has a sports writer that has been around a long time. His name is Harry Blaze. I bet if you included him on your pr list, he'd at least give us a mention.
Tim

BlingxBling
01-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Steve, yeah that would have been Mr Spencer in his 4 door little cavalier. That happened right in front of me. Scariest thing I have ever seen, he looked unconcious when they put the car up the right way. Thanks for that memory of yours..have you got any from when you drove in your first NEETS Enduro?

EnduroFromDE
01-11-2006, 03:22 PM
It was at the Frankenduro in Oct. It was my first race, and everyone I talked to seemed fairly nice. Well, about 1/2 hour before drivers meeting, a young man came up to me and asked if he can use our generator and air pump to pump one of his tires up. We said yeah, and he goes and get's this beat up little purple thing, with a 19 on the side. (yeah, Jimmy White) Anyway, he pumped his tires up, and well to make a long story short, he end's up winning the race, with my air. And how dare he not split the winnings with us. :disgusted , just kidding, congrats on the win......I'm just mad I only did three laps that race :*-(

spier racing 93
01-11-2006, 03:42 PM
I remember one of my first couple of races...It was only 4 cars...2 Verwys, Art Kulik, and me. :lol: I ended up doing horribly because I had very little experience racing a car, let alone driving one. But at the end of the race, my right front wheel broke right off entering turn 2. :help: That sent me into the ground and skidding along, while my wheel went BOUNCING all the way down the backstretch. That was my first (and only) trip back to the pits via a wrecker. Not a very 'happy' memory, but a memory nonetheless. :wave:

ststock23
01-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Going into turn 1 in my street stock. Huge cloud of smoke erupts from under my hood. I immediately shut off the ignition, just in time to hear the announcer saying "That doesn't look like a good sign". Towed the car back on to the trailer. Drove home extremely dejected (rookie year). Finally got the courage to look at the engine. The only hole I could find was where the oil plug should have been. Filled it back up and ran the next week. I will never do that again.

Denise
01-11-2006, 05:22 PM
My most memorable enduro racing experience was the Mutha in 2004. It was the first time I raced against my dad and only the second enuro race I was in. We were both in the same heat race. He was ahead of me going into turns 3 & 4. He got loose in the corner and got sideways and I come right behind him and we both got tangled together. He was able to drive off the and track and I had to get towed. Both were able to race the next day. Also the entire 2005 Neets Series was great for me. Finished no lower than 14th place all season and scored 2 top ten finishes. I was in 11th place in points going into the last race of the year. With double points I made my way back into the top 10 in points and finished in 7th place in the points standings. Starting off great in 2006. Had my best ever finish which was 5th place. Without the support of my dad & stepmother (Dave & Cindy Garrison) I would not be where I am today. Love you both.

James White
01-11-2006, 07:24 PM
That kid in the #19 the same one who put one on its roof and rolled back out to finish the race (isn't he fun?); and yes, his mom and 2 sisters are running :lol: :lol: :lol: :wave: :wave:

Had a wheel come off with 2 laps left at the Mutha (not to mention all the fun in the regular season). Talk to him about that magic race winning air and maybe you should bottle it for sale.

BUSY BEE SR. :lol:

BlingxBling
01-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Mr. Jimmy White SR, you ought to send that young 'un this way for a good story. I'm sure he has plenty.

EnduroFromDE
01-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Not to jinx him, but I just can't believe all the luck he's having in that car, with the rollover and not to mention what the car looked like after the Mutha race and to make it all the way to 2 laps to go :confused:. And to also come back to the B w/ H race with the same car. But I guess that's where all that magic got robbed from him. :(on the plus side, it gave everyone else a chance) :lol: just messin :-B
http://www.mountainspeedwayphotography.com/mutha/small/images/278.jpg?IctQual=100

Hope your luck's a little better at the April race. :wave:

pv18
01-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Ty, As you were having this great memory moment, Pete and I were battling for the win. (It just aint an Enduro with only 4 cars) On the last lap we went to split you in turns one and two, I went high, Pete went low. Ty lost his tire and took me with him to the wall.

I hate loosing to my little brother!

Pat - 18

rcp_ny
01-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Denise, I've been watching you (and lots of others, don't want to creep you out! :lol: ) and am impressed with how clean your races are. You almost never get into trouble. I spun you out once last year (May maybe?), although I claim it wasn't my fault... I was correcting from someone getting into me... but it was unintentional anyway. But my point is that car never seems to have any new dents!

And speaking of Garrisons (ok, that's a weak segue, but work with me!), that brings me to one of my favorite stories.

In the '05 Frankenduro, someone hit me in the left rear and we both did a half-spin, and while we were still banging together getting pointed the right way he was yelling over to me "Sorry buddy, sorry!". It's the only time I've had someone apologize for a wreck while the wreck was still happening. I thought that was just the funniest thing. I just gave him a wave (with all five fingers)... no harm, no foul. I had no idea what car it was until weeks later when I got the video, and it turned out to be number 800, one of your Garrison clan!

NEETS-1
01-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Maybe not my most memorable race but one that sticks in my mind was the week after this incident in the Street stock division at Penn Can Speedway. I was in second place, going under the first place car in turn 1 for the lead, when the 3rd place car hit me in the left rear, spinning me to the infield. I went to the back and worked my way back up to finish 6th with the little time left in the race.
Well, the next week going into turn 1 was the leader...and guess who it was??? The same guy that spun me the week before. It seemed like I had hours to think about what I was going to do while staring at his 1/4 panel going into the turn. I did it...I hit him and spun him to the infield and went on to win the race.
After the victory lane ceremonies, I pulled back to the pits and "he" came up to my car. I thought..."here's trouble". BUT, he shook my hand and said "a little payback, huh". I said "You bet" and that was it....and we raced hard together for years after that, side by side, with full respect for each other without another incident. Both of us finished 1 and 2...2 and 1 many times.
The "he" in question was Billy Trego, who is still running Street Stocks up North and winning many events.

James White
01-12-2006, 06:14 PM
# 19 is ready to roll (hopefully not over) again for April, and no, it's not your first April fools joke. :rolleyes: The kid loves that car.

EnduroFromDE
01-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Well, good luck to him, Jen, Jamie, "Fluffy", and everyone else planning to attend the next race :wave:

SmallCar18
01-13-2006, 12:19 PM
I'm going with my most bizarre enduro racing EXPerience.... This happened in my very first NEETS race. It was June 2003 and NEETS was making its first of 2 stops at MVS. I raced at MVS the night before, and won for my very first time, so I decided to leave the car/trailer there overnight to run again the next day and see what NEETS was all about.

It was a very beautiful, but extremely hot (90+ degrees) and humid day. I remember being concerned which would overheat first, the car or me :). The race got underway and was going pretty good. We were about 20 or 30 laps into it, and I was racing side by side with our own announcer, Geno. I was so focused on him I never saw the official furiously waving the red flag on the "backstretch". Don't know how I didn't see him - from the looks of it, on the endurocam, I practically ran him over! Coming down the "frontstretch" I'm not sure which I saw first, the flag man waving the red, or the entire field of cars stopped going into turn one.

I hit the brakes and they immediately locked up. As I'm skidding to a stop, I see a NEETS official already on the track directly in front of me trying to get all of us stopped. I thought for sure I was going to hit him. Out of the corner of my eye, and this is the bizarre part, I see an old lady in a nightgown, I think she was also wearing slippers, using all her might to climb over the turn 1 wall onto the track! I only caught a glimpse of her for an instant as I was skidding past to a stop. I sat there for a moment in the now sweltering heat and I'm like "what the ^$#@^ was that"! Did I really see that? Am I suffering from heat exhaustion? I thought I was going crazy. I tried stretching around to see what was going on, but couldn't see anything. The ambulance came out and eventually left the track and the race resumed.

After the race, I asked around to see if I really was going crazy, or if I wasn't, to find out if the woman was OK. Apparently she had wandered through the woods and came upon the track. I'm assuming she had Alzheimers. My grandmother had it and I could've pictured her doing something like that. I guess in a way, it's good she wasn't very mobile anymore at that point.

Geno
01-13-2006, 08:21 PM
LOL, how about it Kerry? Man, I bet that was definitely a first to throw the red :confused: Rumor has it that she heard I was running & figured she could beat me on foot :lol:

Speaking of heat exhaustion that day...uh, nevermind!! :disgusted

winky417
01-13-2006, 09:05 PM
One of my favorite memories was back in 1999, at MVS, I was racing my white Nova.(the original417) This was my first enduro race, I'm running good, and just passed this #10 car (the Tide car) going through turn 2, when all a sudden, "wham" I see the infield, the wall, and this Tide car passing me. I still have the picture from this incident on my rec. room wall. Well, then I realized what just happened and the MADDAWG in me came out. I floored the ol Nova, caught that Tide car and spun his a$$ out. Came around and did it again as he was coming off the wall. Well, that shot ended up putting a hole in the radiator and I ended up overheating. When I pulled into the pits, lots of people came up to my car, some clapped, some said what are you nuts, and some just looked at me like I was crazy. Then up came this guy, I won't mention his name, but he said buddy you better load up and get outta here before you get your a$$ kicked, you were messing with the wrong guy out there. This really had me worried, but the adrenaline was kickin. So like an idiot, I go find this guy! Well, let me tell ya's he was big, real big, I don't know, but like 6'4 275 lbs!!!!! Just guessing. I yelled at him "what the **** was that about?". And he did the same. Crowd starts gathering, and I'm starting to think how this is probably gonna hurt. We both calmed down and talked it out and he reaches out to shake my hand, says, "welcome to enduro's rookie". Lesson learned!! We shook hands and stood around talking for a while. Lonnie Behler, one of the nicest guys I've met at a race track. (till ya get on the track.) Story kind of ends like Billy's, we raced side by side, mostly me trying to catch him or wondering where did he come from, the rest of the season, without incident. Became friends, learned a lot following that Tide car, I don't know if I ever beat him, but sure had a lot of fun trying !!!! :) The following season we both won Championships, Lonnie in the 8cyls and me in the 4cyls.... :) :) Funny thing, we both forgot to thank our wives (stupid racecar drivers) during our speeches that night. I get reminded all the time, and I'm sure Vicki reminds Lonnie about that too !!!!! ;) AHHH, memories, Not to worry, I thanked Jody when we got home :) and along came Jacob. ;)