PDA

View Full Version : Rule question

Mobigsly
01-16-2006, 07:56 PM
So can we run say a 205/60R15 with a 215/65R15 or do we have to stay in the same series ie..60?
I read the rules as if we can mix match size and series.
T.J.

DB Motorsports
01-16-2006, 08:01 PM
thats a good question, i would like to know myself.

pappywrench
01-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Good point, In my chat with Billy he stated different sizes within series(205-60-15, 215-60-15, 235-60-15), but it is not stated that way in the rules, a clarafication will most likely be posted. Thanks for pointing it out.

Mobigsly
01-16-2006, 08:17 PM
so you have to stay within the series. correct?

pappywrench
01-16-2006, 08:20 PM
I'm sure billy will clarify it when he sees this post.

NEETS-1
01-16-2006, 08:29 PM
You Can Mix Match Any Size Tire As Long As It Meets all Other Rules....ie; 215-70-15/235-60-15

lefty turner
01-18-2006, 03:25 PM
How about mixing wheel sizes (14"-15")?

Bobby Pease
01-18-2006, 04:45 PM
BILLY...

were people complaining about the NO stagger rule? is this the reason for the change?
thanks...Bobby

NEETS-1
01-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Not altogether...ease in tech is another reason. Plus not all people can get 4 used tires all the same exact size all the time and cheaply. Another reason is spares.
Some will use the rule to their advantage for stagger, others will use it just because that's all they have.
Wheel sizes will all have to be the same...ex; all 15"

EnduroFromDE
01-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Hey Billy, (Or to anyone else who knows)
How do you go about checking the Vacuum on the car?
Not being a machanic, how would I check it myself??

NEETS-1
01-18-2006, 06:19 PM
If you have a bonestock car...don't even worry about it. You'll probably come up with 20" or more. I am more worried about curbing the hot rods.
But if you want to check it, you will need a tachometer and a vacuum gauge. Hook up the hose from the vacuum gauge to a vacuum line, either at the base of the carb, or the rear of the intake. Hook up your tachometer. Have someone step on the gas until you have a steady 1000 RPMs. Read the gauge and that will be your vacuum. It will read in "inches".

richardpetey
01-18-2006, 07:08 PM
If your vacuum guage reads about 11 or 12 "inches of mercury" at about 1200 rpm, it means you have a nice healthy engine, hehe.................. :eek:
The absence of less than one atmosphere doesn't make you a bad person(at least not on my planet)................ :cool:
Two years ago I couldn't spell machanik, now I are one...................... :help:
UNCLE PETEY..................... :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Rich Johnson
01-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Craig mentioned to me..."It would help if we had a marked port to hook the gauge up to" This would speed up the process so our tech guys could "move along the line" and get their job done...What do you think Pap?

RacinRich

vsmidge68
01-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Question....I have a 1986 monte carlo with a stock 305. The engine has 130,000 miles on it. I tested the vac. off the base of the carb. and with a NEW guage (and an old guage) @1000rpm I got 15". :rolleyes: Im not trying to raise a conflict, but I want to make sure Im legal. I know for a fact that carbon buildup on valves, weak valve springs, timing, worn camshaft, do play a factor in low vac. ??? :help: :rolleyes: . Like I said, I just want to be legal.

Thank you.

NEETS-1
01-18-2006, 10:40 PM
I have never ever seen a stock chevy v8 as low as 15" with no work done or with even 300,000 miles on it. You must have a vacuum leak or you are not testing at the right place. Try unhooking your brake booster hose and test it there. Make sure all other vacuum hoses are attached and or plugged up. Also check all your vacuum lines for cracks/leaks.
And, yes, you are right that older stock engines with wear from lots of miles and carbon build up will have a lower vacuum, but down to 19/20 from a healthy stock motor that pulls about 22/23" of vacuum. That is why I set forth a minimum of 17" of vacuum, giving way to older engines and at the same time curbing hot rodded motors.

richardpetey
01-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Sounds like there is 2 inches between you and happiness, hehe.......... :lol:
Even with all those miles, you should be able to get 17"/mercury on a stock engine, unless you have a bad cylinder , early/late timing problem, vacuum leak or checking the vacuum at an unreliable source ............... :help:
Other factors also contribute to low manifold vacuum but, all in all, that motor should be pulling at least 20"/mercury at idle........................ :confused:
With a little effort I'm sure you'll find the problem...................... :cool:
UNCLE PETEY..................... :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

EnduroFromDE
01-19-2006, 08:11 AM
I've noticed other cars, including my own, that have seatbelts holding on the front hood for a quick release, instead of chain. Is this legal?? Also, the chain or seatbelts with the release holding the driver's side door shut around the center post, is that legal as well?

drdestruction
01-19-2006, 09:57 AM
:help: If you still have the pcv valve hooked up, disconnect and plug before taking your reading. Having it hooked up can cause a few inches less vacuum.

Dr. D

Mobigsly
01-19-2006, 07:53 PM
The rear view mirror deal. I guess the blocking game is gonna start real fast.

Rich Johnson
01-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Matt has a flag for that.

RacinRich

EnduroFromDE
01-19-2006, 09:46 PM
In another thread Billy say's, and I quote, "I have a surprise tech inspection man for the 4cyl division. He knows foreign and domestic 4cyls in and out. This will clear up any computerized hot rods in this division." Is there any idea on who the "SURPRISE" guest is. :confused:

pitbull113
01-20-2006, 10:24 AM
As far as the blocking game goes the chrome horn works good for that also. I find it funny that the rules state no tirerack.com tires but there is a link to the tirerack in the helpful tire tech page.lol

SmallCar18
01-20-2006, 11:08 AM
I was wondering about the tirerack.com comment in the rules as well. I was planning to purchase my tires through them. In the past I used to just go to the any tire for $10 places for tires but often they'd blow out for no apparent reason. Tirerack sells the same tires you get at bricks and mortar stores. The tires I REALLY want to get are from vulcantire.com but they are definitely not legal. I think tirerack will shave certain tires for you so maybe that's the reason for the tirerack comment since it comes right after "NO SHAVED TIRES". Glad I waited to buy tires. The tires I was planning to get fit within the rules except they are V rated. Back to the drawing board :)

Sac-Man
01-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Please clarify this comment. I don't understand why it matters where I purchase my tires from. I think there must be some misunderstanding here.

Oh no... Track tire rules. Must buy American Racers... Must have etched in them Greenridge/Mountain hee hee :p

Mobigsly
01-20-2006, 06:09 PM
The secret tech guy is Santa Claus. He's helping out now that the Christmas is over, because he knows when you are good or bad, and he knows if you cheated up your 4cyl..

NEETS-1
01-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Let me put it this way. NO SHAVED TIRES. If I see "new" tires with 3/32 tread on them or the tread wear lines showing, they will be dqed...no questions asked.
:mad: And to smarty pants that thinks my comment was funny....Tirerack.coms specialty is camber shaving tires at 80 bux a pop. ($320 a set) + shipping. Why would you pay that much for tires that you could buy cheaper down the street? This is supposed to be cheap, fun racing. I have seen these tires on certain cars and they are winning....now, don't you want it to be fair??? or should I let it go?...or do you have them?
AND even though they do sell shaved tires, I found they do have a section on their website to help you learn more about tires which I thought would be good for some drivers...so I put the link up!!! Big Friggin' deal :rolleyes:

pitbull113
01-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Take it easy there Billy. Did you have a bad day? Tirerack's specialty is not camber shaved tires, it's selling tires period. They do sell tires for racing, but they sell more tires for cars and trucks to be used for every day driving at better prices than most tire shops, including shipping and no sales tax (which usually offsets the shipping costs). And by the way, it's Mr Smarty Pants. lol.

Mobigsly
01-20-2006, 07:15 PM
These tires, is that 7 inch tread or 7 inch from sidewall to sidewall or 7inch contact patch if you would run the tire throught water?

Sac-Man
01-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks for clearing up the comment Billy. I buy tires from tirerack.com and mavis tire because they are the cheapest new tires I can find. I should also mention my tires still have the new tire nubs on them when I show up at the track. There's a Circuit City behind my house and much to their dismay I circle their parking lot trying to scuff my tires and at least heat cycle them a little. :lol: One of these days five O is going to get me!!!
I didn't really associate shaved tires with Tirerack and I figured you could get them shaved anywhere. :confused:

Sac-Man 81 one days to race day!!!

EnduroFromDE
01-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Well I got 4 brand new tire from pepboys for 19.97 each. The two backs and the left front are the same tire from when I put them on before the FrankEnduro last year. I'll still keep them on for the April races, too, if they don't dry rot before then. I just change the front right after each race and that's it. So I'm looking at only about $20 bucks a race on tires (NOT BAD). Of course, I went through 2 right fronts and a rim at the B w/ H :disgusted so I'm looking at at least 2 new spares and another rim, but still only $50 or $60 bucks.

See ya then :wave:

winky417
01-26-2006, 06:01 PM
The best and cheapest way to get tires is to go to an salvage yard. They will practically give them away. Or go to a local garage and ask them if you could have some of their used ones. Tell them what they're for!!!!! Most garages love the idea of racing! Tell them you'll even put their name on your car. Most likely they will give them to ya. Then they don't have to pay to get rid of them-----Everyone's Happy. Heat Cycle them if ya want. The best way is how I do it. Mount em, put them on car and pull out in driveway and light em up!!!!!!!! Then change front to back and light em up again!!! Does a lot here, heat cycles them, burns some tread off, and lets the neighbors know how much ya love them (lol) :) The best part is when people drive by honking their horn and have to turn their lights on :) :) :cool: Give it a try --------Maddawg417