PDA

View Full Version : Suffolk Life

CIN
01-18-2006, 07:05 PM
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15952273&BRD=1776&PAG=461&dept_id=6365&rfi=6

LINK TO SUFFOLK LIFE ARTICLE REGARDING THE YAPHANK SITE.

CIN

Tracy87BB
01-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Wow, Cin, I just read the article and I was actually pleasantly surprised at the amount of space that was devoted to the Top Gun proposal. I guess maybe somebody is listening to what the majority seems to want to hear about. Let's keep our fingers crossed on the County's response to the RFEI proposal from Top Gun.

CIN
01-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Tracy,
This is just the beginning. We still have to go thru the RFP. We just have to keep letting our Legislator's & Levy know what we want. And since this process is going to take a while, we have to stay positive.

Check out the following website: www.licitizens4sports.com

This is sort of a grass roots group that are supporting Top Gun's proposal. We need to get people to join up with this group to show the county the support that there is for this project. And it doesn't have to be just racing. Baseball, soccer, lacrosse...anyone into any type of sport....or entertainment.
There are 1.5 million people in Suffolk alone...just think of all those VOTES!

Cin

Oh, and thanks Tracy.

DAN D.
01-21-2006, 01:25 AM
a step in the right direction mm I just wishh they use the word "oval" instead of
a quarter-mile drag strip LOL

Tracy87BB
01-21-2006, 06:53 AM
Cin,
I hope the stuff I gave you the other day helped. As I said, I was just sorry that things were so crazy and I could only get you started in what I hope was the right direction. If you need anything else, let me know. I do understand that it is a long process, and that it's still not even "out of the gate" yet, so to speak.

As for the web site, I will email everyone I know who isn't necessarily a racing fan (but who is into other types of sports) to bring it to their attention (yes, believe it or not, I do have some friends who don't particularly care about racing...imagine that!).

To everyone who couldn't make the public hearings...like Cin has said, now is the time to start writing, phoning and/or emailing your legislators and Levy. Let them know that you are a taxpayer and a voter and that you want this complex. Tell them that you want to spend your recreation dollars here in Suffolk County, and that you want others to come here and spend their money too. As I understand it, Top Gun's proposal is due in by May 1st (as is everyone else's). Before that date, we need to make sure that those people we vote into office know what we want...and why we want it. While I personally would love nothing more than to see another oval track here on the Island (as well as a drag strip), it is important to note that this is so much more than that...it truly is designed to appeal to the whole family, and you can't beat that, in my opinion.

CIN
01-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Dan
Yes Drag Strip was mentioned - this time. Times before only a NASCAR type track was mentioned and the drag guys I've met were upset because they didn't mention a drag strip. Doesn't matter what they mention, though. I know for a fact that Top Gun has both in their proposals, that hasn't changed.
But what I will say is this; unless we, the taxpaying, racing, voting citizens of Suffolk County don't let our Legislator's and Levy know that Top Gun's proposal is what we want, it won't matter what type of track you race on, the County WILL do what they want. Right now the RFEI is only an "Expression of Interest". I have no idea how many developers picked up the RFEI. And no one knows who else is out there and what they are going to propose. Also, it is the RFP that will determine what the Yaphank Site will look like.
So we all now have to keep at our elected officials. I realize there were quite a few racers at the public hearings, but there were a lot more that weren't there. We have to have everyone keep letting them know "This is what we want" (the people that don't want it will, believe me. I just joined my civic and went to a meeting that all of the Brookhaven civics had, and they WILL join together if they have too against something)
Top Gun or anyone for that matter can propose whatever they want. If they don't have the backing of the taxpayers, the people we elect into office will do what they want.
I am currently working with Bruce Jackson of Long Island Citizens 4 Sports to come up with facts, draft letters and the list of the Legislator's and their districts. (anyone want to help us just let me know) We'll post the information. Then it will be up to all of us to get this done. Top Gun has the proposal, they have the financial backing, now they need all of our backing.
Cin

Tower Man
01-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Remember, in any correspondence remind them of the economic impact of this Top Gun's proposal.

art11758
01-21-2006, 02:49 PM
When I was doing the letter writing campaign on behalf of Raceway Park, the track owner reached out to the seasonal ticket holders with a simple form letter and a list of people to send it to. Anyone have any ideas on how we might get something like that going? I'll be glad to help out if I can.

CIN
01-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Art,
We are going to start working on draft letters sometime this week. We can use all the help we can get. Please either PM me or you can email me at rcrmsj@optonline.net.
Cin

W. J.
01-21-2006, 09:31 PM
There is one problem with using a form letter; many politicos ignore them because they feel it doesn't really express the "taxpayer's" opinion, but that of whoever gave them the letter to send. I know this becauuse I was involved with more than one campaign of this type started by my union at work. Best to make it short, to the point, and personal. Those they pay attention to. :)

randomrodder
01-23-2006, 07:15 PM
An envelope over lunch works well.

CIN
01-23-2006, 08:56 PM
ssshhhh, this is a "POLITICAL PROCESS" :lol: :lol:

Politician's don't do "lunch and envelopes"..... :lol: :rolleyes: :) :applause:

randomrodder
01-23-2006, 10:53 PM
ssshhhh, this is a "POLITICAL PROCESS" :lol: :lol:

Politician's don't do "lunch and envelopes"..... :lol: :rolleyes: :) :applause:

Uhmm, right, mums the word. I don't care what I've seen after years in the concrete supply industry. I know nothing, I see nothing, I say nothing.
Someone signed on using my user name.