PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Rules Meeting

oldschool
02-01-2006, 10:29 AM
I wasn't there, but I was told there will be no victory lane celebration in front of the fans. If that is true it really sucks. Anything else said that takes the fun out of going racing.

Tracy87BB
02-01-2006, 10:40 AM
After reading Bob Finan's "Eye on Riverhead" this week, I get the impression that it's a topic that the officials are going to revisit. A final announcement regarding procedure will be made either at the warm-up days or on Opening Night.

W. J.
02-01-2006, 12:20 PM
An explanation of this was brought up is in my story. Briefly, a study was done, and on an average night, almost 90 minutes of the show is Victory lane ceremonies (6 divisions X 15 minutes). They discussed the problem of people coming out on the track for these ceremonies, and then not moving off the track again in a timely manner. While not all are guilty of it, it does happen, and the fans in the stands get annoyed and complain to the track management in the office. It's nice to see the peope who did all the work to get a car to victory lane be recognized for their work, but the program lags as far as getting the next feature on the track afterwards. NO cars can roll out until all pedestrians have been cleared from the track. So, now you see the problem. I wouldn't want to be them trying to solve this one, because no matter what, someone won't be happy.

One good thing that could come with this is maybe we'd see a lot less 'shortened by time limit' races if they can save the time.

Tracy87BB
02-01-2006, 01:00 PM
W.J., I completely agree that I wouldn't want to be the one trying to come up with a solution...I certainly don't have one. I think the issue for many drivers, though, comes down to the kids in the stands (even more so than their crews). When a driver who has kids there wins a race (either their own kids or relatives, friends, etc.), the kids definitely get a charge out of being able to say that they got to go out on the track. For the kid whose father spends five or six nights a week at their shop working on the car so they can get to Victory Lane, it's a bit of giving something back to the family. Having been on several crews since I was old enough to have my NASCAR license, I personally wouldn't care if I got to go out on the track or not, though it is a nice feeling to be there. But I do know several drivers and have been out in the stands with the kids (my own husband's children included) and I can tell you that nothing can compare with the excitement on most of those kids' faces when they get to go on the track where Dad races and have their picture taken (especially if it's been a long week and they haven't seen Dad much). However, I do see the problems the officials run into when fans don't want to get off the track, etc., and I do understand that the casual fan doesn't want to spend half the night watching them shuffle people on and off of the track. Like I said, I certainly don't have a solution.
As far as having fewer "time limit" races, I could be mistaken, but I never got the impression that the time limits would be changed if the elimination of Victory Lane ceremonies on the track made the night go faster. My impression is that if a feature runs into the time limit, it will be called as such, whether pictures are going to be taken on the track or not.

hollywoodmic
02-01-2006, 05:26 PM
I've said this in posts before. Why couldn't we put a victory lane in the fan area. Over behind the back gate ticket office. Put security there, rope it off, put a wall up behind it, paint the Riverhead logo on it and have a blast. That means if drivers want to get pictures with the sponsor who is sitting in the stands, or his or her children they have plenty of time. Perhaps a potential sponsor who doesn't go in the pits because it's too late for his kids could shake the hand of his future driver. It just becomes a more fan friendly deal. In essence, every fan could now go down to Victory Lane. Also have a designated Victory Lane person to do a quick interview during the first caution, of the next race. The time will also give the driver a second to think about who he or she would like to thank. You could get a company to sponsor Victory Lane, the possibilities are endless and you can speed up the show. The one negative...........if it's not a "popular win" you may have people marching down to Victory Lane to start a fight.

Mortgage Guy
02-01-2006, 06:32 PM
I think it is a good idea, the only problem I see is the post race inspection, if a driver is taking tons of pictures it may slow down the process to see if he legally won the race. That is just pretty much wasted space there anyway, so in the end it probably would work out well...

Rich Johnson
02-01-2006, 06:51 PM
How about...If everyone had to leave the track from the flagstand gate after the pictures were taken. The gate by turn four could be briefly opened to let people back into the pits. This way, cars could start pulling onto the track while the pictures are being finished up. I hope they can find a way to speed up the process, without taking away the best part of winning.
If the show "moves along" too quickly...Fans might not have enough time to get an ice cold Miller AND golden brown Riverhead fries.

RacinRich

RGeeProductions
02-01-2006, 06:54 PM
How about...If everyone had to leave the track from the flagstand gate after the pictures were taken. The gate by turn four could be briefly opened to let people back into the pits. This way, cars could start pulling onto the track while the pictures are being finished up. I hope they can find a way to speed up the process, without taking away the best part of winning.

RacinRich
Very good idea. This would cut MUCH time and ALL the fans would still see Victory Lane Ceremonies.

Tower Man
02-01-2006, 07:18 PM
W J, I can't help it, but I remember mid season 2005 when I posted that Victory Lane was taking an average of 88 minutes with 6 divisions. I was laughed off the board. Told, I didn't know what I was talking about. I needed a new watch.

Now in your post you said 90 minutes for 6 divisions.

I feel vindicated. The truth always comes out sooner or later.

catfish
02-01-2006, 07:19 PM
How About Stop Trying To Run Every Division Under The Sun Every Saturday, That And Stopping Some Of The Stupid Circus Acts Might Actually Work Instead Of Stopping Possibly The Only Open Air Acknowledgement Some Of The Race Crews Get, But Then Again It Is The Circus !!!!!!!!

Tower Man
02-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Catfish...I have to agree to a point. Yes, six divisions is a bit much. But who do you eliminate? Back in the old days of three or four divisions, we ran every week, sometimes twice a week, (at Islip) and we never looked at a schdule to see if we were running. We just showed up and raced.

But the truth of the matter is that on "Circus Nights", the place is packed and on race nights it's not.

W. J.
02-01-2006, 07:37 PM
"Circus acts", or 'special presentations of non-regular events' is something we are all going to have to live with. They bring in the money, they bring in potential new fans, and if the race program runs a little more smoothly, those new potential fans are likely to return, to the benefit of all of us. It was pointed out to all in attendance at the meetings that a race track such as Riverhead, or any Saturday night track, can no longer survive on revenue generated by strictly racing programs one night a week. Die hard race fans may not like it, but it's reality, so we have to learn to live with it. As Rich Johnson pointed out, shortening Victory Lane ceremonies would take away the chance to get another beer or fries; these added attractions, if we don't care to wtch them, present the opportunity to get that drink and food. "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...." I'll take a glass of lemonade over the alternative of the track closing because it's losing money.

As far as when and where the Victory Lane ceremony is to be held, the original proposal presented Sunday was in an area behind the Handicappers tower, just inside the pits. If it ran like they hoped, it would still leave time for tech, and special consideration was going to be made to allow the same people who would normally come on the track enter the pits to be a part of the photos.
I have recently gotten word that track management is not going with the original plan, but they are trying to come up with a reasonable solution to speed things along AND please as many of you as possible. Stay tuned.

Jones44
02-02-2006, 05:19 AM
I like the idea of moving it off-track.. hollywooodmic, agree 100% with your proposal (did I just agree with a Halpin? LOL). Nobody has any comments (good, bad, or indifferent) on moving re-starts to turn 4?

RGeeProductions
02-02-2006, 08:08 AM
As mentioned above, the letting of people out at flagman gate will remove people quickly, then open gate a bit for pit people to return to pits. If an area is put off turn 4 or in pits for additional photos/interviews, how about the fans across the track and also the photographers? If I am shooting the racing pictures and after 'on track ceremonies' it is moved elsewhere for more, how does photographer get those shots and be on track for next race?

W. J.
02-02-2006, 12:03 PM
As mentioned above, the letting of people out at flagman gate will remove people quickly, then open gate a bit for pit people to return to pits. If an area is put off turn 4 or in pits for additional photos/interviews, how about the fans across the track and also the photographers? If I am shooting the racing pictures and after 'on track ceremonies' it is moved elsewhere for more, how does photographer get those shots and be on track for next race?

This was one of the sticking points in my mind. Would every media outlet now need TWO photographers? If not, then when they run off to take the photos in an off track victory lane, will the start of the next event be held up to let them back out? With all that exercise, there certainly would never be any overweight photogs, LOL. Let's wait until track management comes out with their new idea (mentioned above) before we jump to too many conclusions.

hollywoodmic
02-02-2006, 12:52 PM
The people who sell the photos, have a booth right there. Have them take the victory lane photos, they are the one that sell them anyway. It's all workable.

MalvertyRacing
02-02-2006, 03:51 PM
It is very sad how Riverhead has to have a circus acts to fill the stands. I have been going to Riverhead since I was a little girl. I Just look at the Demo's and Sunday Enduro's for instance, the field would be packed. Sunday's field and stand's would have a nice size crowd. Now the stands are like a Ghost town. The sad thing is they would not have to run any act's if they would start caring about the people instead of making their millions. They can run all six shows AND STILL have time not to cheat the Driver's, Crew's and their Family and Sponsor's OUT of their Victory lane. You drivers need to all stick together, You all make that Raceway, they don't make you. Your giving them your money and you can't even get one thing in return ...Your Victory Celebration,,,,,Shame, Shame on the Cromarty's. It is sad because they keep on running down the track and all of you drivers that put all you time, money, and most of all you heart and soul into it have to pay the price of their selfishness. Good Luck to you all this Season.

VNYLGRFX
02-02-2006, 04:51 PM
I was there at the BB meeting on Sun. What was said at first was The last division of the night would get to take pics on the track. Then what was said was that they were going to move victory Lane off the the track. The main complaint was that a total of eighty to ninety minutes was taken in total
time of the whole night. I think the victory Lane idea is somewhat of a good thing if they do a good job with it? I also suggested rotating the 6 divisions
around from week to week, so that each division gets somewhat what we all want at times PICs ON THE TRACK for the last division of the night. The idea here is all good, I think. like I said if it all looks good in the end.. And what's up with the extra $5 at the back gate for sponsors and family? It already cost a fortune...........

Sincerely,
Dale Arnold ~CEO~ :cool:
http://www.CustomVinylGraphics.com
dale@customvinylgraphics.com

catfish
02-02-2006, 05:47 PM
The above post mentioned "extra $5 bucks at the back gate" did they raise the pit entrance fee?

VNYLGRFX
02-02-2006, 07:03 PM
5$ extra bucks Just for sponsors and family and guests at the back gate.............................

bulldozer
02-02-2006, 07:11 PM
I would love to see every division timed. Maybe J A could get a stop watch or just a watch and see how much time each feature takes and write it on the results. Then maybe we can see what classes are holding up the races. I asked for an extra 5 laps for the chargers and they lol and said we couldn't run 20. I mean, we run 20 laps like the trucks and bb. I thought we were the division up. Late Models run 50 lap double pointers. Why couldn't we run 40 lap double pointers?

modified_fan
02-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Some very good points here. It will be interesting to see what the powers that be arrive at.

As a sponsor, I love that walk onto the track and have the chance to let those crew members who devote SO much the chance to shine in appreciation of their hard work.

However, what is the ideal time lapse between races?

How many times a night does the average fan use the bathrooms......go buy some food......some beer......etc......etc??? How long timewise do those lines last, especially on a crowded night?

I'd think many of those on line would be pissed hearing the races start without them. Certainly the owners would not want to lose concession sales.

AND...How many times MUST we have intermissions because the races are running 'too well'? Do you think the average fan likes intermissions???? I'd feel pretty upset that we can have 6 or so intermissions during a season, but we can't reward those who put up big sweat and big dollars giving us the racing we love.

CIN
02-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Question? How early is the track looking for the night to be over?

W. J.
02-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Around 10 PM.

modprincess8x
02-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Well since my mom runs the photo booth at the track I will say that having a Victory Lane outside the track would not work well. For one we only have one photographer that takes action shot pictures as well as victory lane pictures. He can't do both at the same time if victory lane pictures are being taken during a race. Not only do the drivers and fans buy the pictures from us but they are used on the website by the track and in the program. So I hope they come up with a better solution, maybe make an entrance onto the track from the stands on the backstretch and have a victory lane ceremony there while the cars are lining up on the front stretch and instead of limiting the amount of people in victory lane limit the amount of pictures the driver can have taken (not including the individual driver picture and track sponsor pictures). Let them take say maybe 6-7 pictures, that can give them a group, family, crew, and a couple sponsor pictures or a couple other pictures they want. Do the group picture first so those people can be walking off the track while the smaller pictures are being taken.

LongIslandJam
02-03-2006, 04:50 AM
Bulldozer,

A friend and I actually do TIME the events for curiousity sake. Most divisions take between 20-30 minutes on an average night (3-4 cautions). Some nights its more torturous.

The Late Models on the other hand were a blessing this past year. The Late Models ran a 50-lapper in a mere 11 minutes and a 25-lapper in 9 minutes. The Super Pro Trucks in the past have produced similar numbers too.

Biggest offender of eating time I have to say would be the Chargers. Modifieds are probably up there too (I admitedly never timed a Modified race), but they have longer races and are the highlight of the night.

This upcoming year, we will time the events more often for scientific purposes and see which division is the biggest offender of time. But to be honest, the only thing that affects time of the division is how the drivers of the division behave.

allhailunc
02-03-2006, 05:30 AM
You want to save time? Instead of running heats in all the divisions, even when, for the most part, there isn't enough to fill the field-"Time trial" everyone. Then if there are enough, run a "consi". This running of 5-6 cars in a heat is beyond stupid, not to mention the fact that, without a doubt, one of them will get "Fubarred" and not make the show. Sure the idea of an "off site" pic area for winners & fans is great, too, but as one very nice young lady just pointed out, there is actually only one photographer and unless he's faster than the Flash, that idea is good for the "Porcelain palace". I say time trial all divisions-this way, the qualifying is over and done with quickly, without incident and the races can get going early so we can all get home before the Soprano's comes on. :mad:

fisherman
02-03-2006, 06:28 AM
all the complaining going on pretty soon it will be a junkyard just like it was back when the track was built. it looks like a junkyard from route 58 now . just leave victory pictures on the track interview the winner after pictures while all the crews are exiting the track. that would save 10 minutes between races

CIN
02-03-2006, 06:55 AM
The Sopranos are on Sunday. :)
Wow. Before you know it the whole night will be over before it even gets going. It's going to take less time than a movie...and even at Island 16 that only costs less than 10 bucks to get into. Ticket prices go up/amount of time at track goes down....Who would have ever thought that years ago, when Figure 8's used to hope that they could make it on the track before eleven...Oh well, is it a new town noise ordiance?

Fireitinthere
02-03-2006, 08:08 AM
Take a lesson from Thompson. Their victory lane shots and interviews are done off the track, in front of the main grandstands. This way, the next feature can roll onto the track without any delay .
Yes, this would be a bit more difficult at Riverhead due to less room, but I do think it could be accomplished if given some thought.
Anyway, it's just a thought.

catfish
02-03-2006, 08:39 AM
Forgive me if i ask again, but i am confused, what is the deal with the extra $5 bucks at the back gate

RGeeProductions
02-03-2006, 08:59 AM
The only fair solution for photographers and ALL the fans is back straight OR on track and release all through flagman stand, WITH TIME LIMIT. Off track cuts fans out and photographers from next race. PERIOD....And funny I have to agree that almost every night there is a LONG intermission to fill time, so really not sure why all this anyway!!!!

Tracy87BB
02-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Catfish, there was mention at the meetings about an extra $5 charge for guests, sponsors, etc. at the back gate if they want to sign in without a NASCAR license. As always, though, there will be a limit on how many times a person can be signed in as a "guest" and it will have to be approved by Bill Denniston. Hope that clears up your confusion...

Ace
02-03-2006, 11:55 AM
I agree with a lot of the things said on here. 1st, why BOTHER to have heats? In the chargers, they take 6 out of 7 cars. In the LM and Mods, they take 5 out of 6 cars on MOST nights.

Why not have the cars lined up in the pits in order of starting position?

If THEY do go thru with pictures taken in the pits, when the show is running good, I DON'T want any 1/2 hr intermission or on track out of car driver introductions as a stall tactic. If it means running the last feature at 8, SO BE IT! :mad:

MalvertyRacing
02-03-2006, 01:55 PM
That is true Ace. About four years ago, Robin was saying what can they do for the kids that come to the race track? I said, what about having a clown at the entrance handing out a balloon, a lil matchbox car, or even a lil checkered flag? Then, later on walk around to amuse some of the children with a face painting or a sticker. I said I would be the clown and get my own clown suit, all they had to do was supply the things. Well, I went and spoke to the Cromarty's, they said, No, IT WAS TOO MUCH MONEY. They wanted me DURING INTERMISSION To do the CHICKEN DANCE in the middle of the infield. Who the hell want's to go to the Racetrack to see a Chicken Dance...Now even to add $5- to the back gate is so tacky. People each week spend so much money there they have to lower themselves for $5. They should pay you guy's an extra $5.00 for each person you bring. They want and want, and don't give anything in return.

W. J.
02-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Okay, for those who were not at the meeting, let's clear up this $5 charge once and for all. It is for 'guests' you wish to bring into the pits who do not possess a NASCAR license. In the past, they were charged the same as everyone else. This year, they will be charged an extra $5, and be limited to 2 admissions during the season. Also, Bill D. will have to approve their admission, but in most cases, that would just be a formality. If there were no restrictions on this, I'm sure the pits would be a very crowded and dangerous (for pedestrians) place. As one who spends time there covering the races, there are nights when it gets a little over the top with the number of people in there now. Adding too many more is just a recipe for trouble.