PDA

View Full Version : Snell Helmet / Firesuit Rule

ajsyrup
02-03-2006, 08:44 PM
So I was reading through the rules for 2006. Not many changes, but I noticed a requirement for a Snell 95 dated helmet?? In the past, I don't recall ever seeing this in the rules. I have been running for about 4 years not with a dot helmet?? Does this mean I have to buy a Snell approved? They cost almost double what a D.O.T. one does??

If you are using a harness or racing seat, a fire suit is required?? So no more running a stock seat with a five point for extra safety, because I really don't know many enduro drivers who have a extra fire suit lying around??

In my opinion, these rules are going to stop a lot of people from racing. They are adding a great deal to the cost of a low budget class in safety precautions that don't make all that much sense??

Honestly, I think I could get out of a five point racing harness faster than a stock seatbelt, considering the stock belt would be mounted to the piller next to the window I need to climb out of.

I'm just wondering what other people thought of this??

Do they plan on enforcing these rules?? If so, I think a lot of regular people may not be racing this upcoming season.

Well, just my opinion. I thought I would let others voice theirs as well.

W. J.
02-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Snell approved helmets are mandated for YOUR safety. If that's not worth the price of one, you may be in the wrong game. It's the best 'brain bucket' you can buy.
A used one may not cost as much as you think. The Saturday night guys have to have a Snell 2001 or newer, so I'm sure you might find some for sale if you look around. Your continued good health is worth the money you'll spend.

Rich Johnson
02-04-2006, 12:01 AM
..Walt..
Only use a K mart helmet if you have a K mart head.

..ajsyrup..
The difference between a D.O.T. helmet and a Snell has to do with fire resistance.

RacinRich

Tracy87BB
02-04-2006, 07:34 AM
If you think you can't afford to buy a decent helmet and a firesuit (last I checked, there were single-layer ones you could buy in the $100 range), then how would you afford one senseless trip to the hospital or the time you would miss from work due to an avoidable injury? Better yet, try explaining to your kids why Daddy can't go to work on Monday (or Tuesday, or Wednesday...you get the idea) because of an injury that could have been prevented for just a few hundred dollars. Yes, some injuries are bound to happen no matter what precautions you take, but a dollar spent on prevention pays back thousands in the end. Believe me, I have a husband who races and a toddler at home...I have listened to everyone in the last few weeks complain about the escalating costs of racing in all divisions, due to rule changes, legalization of certain parts, etc. Let me ask you this...do you somehow find the money for a car, gas, tires, entry fee, etc.? If you look hard enough, I'm sure you'll find the money for safety equipment. That's one department that's undoubtedly worth the expense. After all, you wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars to buy your kid a bicycle and then let him/her ride it on a busy street without adequate safety equipment, would you?

ajsyrup
02-04-2006, 03:04 PM
I am not saying that I would not buy the safety equpiment. I already run a firesuit (over 200 at oval speed) and I recently purchased a Snell helmet for drag racing (286.00 summit racing). I am simply saying you are now going to take the people who come for one or two races out of the series. I don't know many people who own firesuits and Snell certified helmets.

Gravel
02-04-2006, 03:06 PM
At other tracks, it's the insurance company's decision on what type of helmet is needed. At the Orange Co. Fair Speedway, for example, the insurance co. requires a Snell 2000 or better. And that's for ALL divisions. Just remember, if you've got a $5 head, wear a $5 helmet.

tstiles
02-04-2006, 05:08 PM
If it is the people who run only 1 or 2 races a year that you are so woried about, let me remind you that it tends to be the same 1 or 2 race per season guy that tends to wreck the guys that are out there every week, who try to keep their equipment clean. It always seems to be the idiot who comes out only once, that thinks safety is a wasted expense, who is a hazard to other drivers.
Racing is not something you want to do if you have the Italian sickness (funds are low) and more importantly, we don't want them out there either. So tell them to stay home.

fisherman
02-04-2006, 05:12 PM
you tell them 1 or 2 race guys to stay home and you will be working at bds riverhead junkyard working instead of racin

CIN
02-04-2006, 05:18 PM
Well Ron,
Let me ask you this. Those one or two guys that don't want to use safety equipment, what happens when they get hurt real bad and them and their families sue the track. We won't have to worry about whether we are racing or not....IT WILL BE CLOSED DOWN. And it won't be a junkyard....just another housing development for old people.

fisherman
02-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Cin, I agree safety is very important. I always had best and safest equipment. what I'm aying :mad: :wave: :wave: :mad: :mad: if you tell guys and gals to stay home, all enduros will be 18 cars just like the grands . They will cancel enduros with that car count. Houses will never be built there, too much DEC stuff.

CIN
02-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Ron, I'm sure you that you value your safety. Other people should feel the same about their own. And I do understand your point. Maybe for those that only want to run 1 or 2 races or for those that are just starting out and don't know if they are going to like it, they should borrow a helmet and firesuit. I did. But, I will side with the track on this one, from a business standpoint and for insurance reasons.
And don't be too sure that they won't put up houses, just look at the Westhampton Drag strip; 55 and over community now. How long before the community right next to Riverhead decides that they want to buy the place. Big thing right now 55 and over communities. Or better yet - it could become "Workforce Housing" "Levyville 2" - the new politically correct development.
All I'm saying is if people are serious about racing, and even enduros are serious, than they should think about themselves. Besides, when you average it out, how many years can you get out of a helmet and firesuit? Does it end up being the cost of a McDonalds meal once a week over the time?

Tracy87BB
02-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Just a thought here...I know divisions like the Blunderbusts were told that they need Snell 2000 or better helmets this season. You could always try to get a hold of a regular Saturday night division driver to see if he (she) is upgrading his (her) helmet this year...a few bucks towards the new one they have to buy could work out to the benefit of you both. And yes, Cin, you are right about borrowing things...I borrowed a helmet and a firesuit the first few times out myself. Chris finally bought me a firesuit for Christmas one year, which I recently passed on to another Enduro friend (it was only worn a few times). I personally question the safety aspect of running a five-point harness with a stock seat, but I would think if you invest the money in the harnesses and the time to properly install them and/or a racing seat, then you're probably not the person who is going to balk at the thought of having to have a firesuit.

unowho243
02-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Go to any one of your local Bike or motocross shops, I got my Snell Aproved Helmet from my bike shop for $95 and I got a lot of use out of it with BMX racing and this season for enduros

ajsyrup
02-05-2006, 03:53 PM
are they going to allow snell m helmets?? or is it going to have to be snell SA like requiired in drag racing??

CIN
02-05-2006, 05:59 PM
SA Standard was designed for auto racing while M Standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. There are three major differences between them:
1) SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not;
2) SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets may not be street legal);
3) SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
The K standards are very similar to the SA standards, however the K standards omit the requirements for flame retardency.

RACINRICH

RebelMtrspts29
02-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Some people look twice at my Grand car when I get to the track, because it could probably pass Busch Grand National safety tech. I guess it is all about how you feel about this issue, but I believe that you should take full advantage of every safety feature the industry has to offer. TRUST ME!!! If you have had a decent wreck, and have broken any bones as a result of it, you will be showing up to the track for the next race ready with a bunch of safety equipment in your car.

Brian

tstiles
02-08-2006, 12:15 AM
When I raced motorcycles out at Loudon, I never cut the budget in the safety department. I watched many of my friends get killed on bikes. In my eyes, no matter what you are driving or riding, you should do it right and spend the little extra money. You might cry a little bit now, but it's sure better than having your family cry later. You know what I mean?
:applause:

Tower Man
02-08-2006, 06:16 PM
My money is going to buy the Snell 2005. My philosophy, get the best possible safety equipment you can buy.

My trip to the hospital in 1996 cost my insurance company $750,000. Cost NASCAR another $75,000. Cost to me....zero. Thank God I had good insurance and unlimited sick time, (didn't work for 12 weeks).

The point is, don't be angry or upset because a rule had to be instituted to protect you. Safety should not be compromised due to cost.

My father always told me, "Cheap is expensive."

fisherman
02-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Yep, Joe probably had the biggest bill ever at Riverhead for a crash. Luckily, I had good updated equipment that year, so thank God 10 years later Joe can talk about it. So safety should always come first.

Rich Johnson
02-08-2006, 08:11 PM
It's always "the other guy" who has the BAD crash...Right?
Joe's crash was a "eye opener" for me. After seeing it, I never ran without a good seat and harness again.
The more I have seen...The more I realize...We need to protect what we have.

RacinRich

GBS Racing
02-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Most of the guys racing do have the right safety equipment. Safety, your safety, should not be questioned. I can only speak for myself, that when I showed up for first inspection in 2005 with my 4 cyl. truck, I had a full roll cage, safety net, fire bottle, 5 point harness and racing seat, not to mention a Snell rated helmet and a single layer fire suit with Nomex single layer gloves. At the inspection, I was told twice I had more safety in my Chevy S-10 than most other drivers. My comment was, " I'm too old ( 50 yrs ) to get hurt, and I have other liabilities in my life." I see safety that way, and I think most people should. I just ordered a two layer Nomex fire suit, better shoes and two layer gloves, paid big bucks, but you know..I have a loving wife and a good family.....I'm worth it, no matter what the cost....And if I don't win, at least I look good...... period.. Gil, Enduro Truck #6

LLBUZZY
02-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Are you talking about the Grand Enduro's or the regular or both. I didn't see anything specific in the regular Enduro's about helmets. Just curious.

CIN
02-15-2006, 02:36 PM
RULE #10

Grand Enduro: All cars must have race seat and 5 point harness. Drivers are required to wear: Firesuit, gloves and Snell rated 95 or better helmet

4,6,8 & Truck Enduros: All drivers must wear helmets, long sleeve shirts, long pants, socks & shoes, boots or sneakers. Firesuit recommended. Any car with a racing seat and/or 5 pt harnes must wear a firesuit. Helmet must be Snell 95 or better

This is according to Riverhead Website Rules.

pitbull113
02-15-2006, 08:54 PM
Can anybody tell me why we have to wear a fire suit IF we have a racing seat or 5-point belts and not if we run stock seat and belts?

art11758
02-16-2006, 08:47 AM
I don't know for sure, so I will offer my opinion. With the seat and harness, the insurance company looks at the vehicle differently and requires the fire suit. In the long run (and this is coming from one of the most painfully thrifty people you will ever talk to) its for your safety. I've worked on other types of racecars where fire is a BIG issue and the suits there make you look like the Michelin man.(don't look comfortable to me) Any time the suit was needed they worked. Small price to pay.

W. J.
02-16-2006, 09:49 AM
Can anybody tell me why we have to wear a fire suit IF we have a racing seat or 5-point belts and not if we run stock seat and belts?

It's quite simple, really: If you use all or even more of the prescribed safety equipment, you'll be around to post your story about your experience after it happens to you.

Simplified, it comes to this: Race car $500, Safety Eqpt. $300, Entry fee $70.
Walking away from a fiery crash in one piece-PRICELESS!!!

pitbull113
02-16-2006, 07:57 PM
I do wear a fire suit, a good helmet, and a neck brace, and if anydody has seen my car, you know it's built with safety in mind. I was wondering why it's basically all or nothing as far as safety's concerned?

W. J.
02-16-2006, 08:27 PM
I do wear a fire suit, a good helmet, and a neck brace, and if anydody has seen my car, you know it's built with safety in mind. I was wondering why it's basically all or nothing as far as safety's concerned?

I can only guess it's because not everybody gets it the way you and others do. It's the same reason we have seat belt and cell phone laws; because some people choose not to take proper care of themselves. :rolleyes:

Rich Johnson
02-16-2006, 09:13 PM
In for a penny...In for a pound

I guess it's a package deal...They do complement each other.

RACINRICH

pitbull113
02-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Yes, Rich, I agree. I was just wondering what was the thinking behind the rule.

GBS Racing
02-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Don't forget, if there is a fire, and the 5 point does not open, guess who is in the car, on fire, till the rescue people come...