PDA

View Full Version : Chad Knaus Thrown Out Of Daytona

maestri fan 1
02-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Following qualifying for The Daytona 500, Chad Knaus was thrown out of Speedweeks due to an illegal rear window in the 48 car. Nascar has said that any additional penalties will be given after the running of the race.

I personally feel in a way this is Nascar's fault. Their templates did not discover a problem with the rear window of the 48 car. Oh Well!!!

W. J.
02-13-2006, 07:06 PM
I personally feel in a way this is Nascar's fault. Their templates did not discover a problem with the rear window of the 48 car. Oh

I agree. Tech inspection there is way more than just about safety, as the broadcast team showed yesterday with Jeff Gordon's car going through it. If they didn't find it prior to the car running, what made them look at it afterwards, and exactly what was wrong with it? They (NASCAR) look way worse than the people they've accused of wrongdoing. :mad:

maestri fan 1
02-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Well W.J. I actually just found an article about the whole thing, and it turns out it was a device that raised and lowered the rear window of the car for aerodynamics. So this wasn't a NASCAR mistake. Although they should have discovered it before qualifying.

Wheel Racing
02-13-2006, 08:09 PM
tsk,tsk,tsk! Hendrick/Knaus/Johnson cheating?? I for one am extremely shocked! :confused: I just can't wait to hear who's fault it is THIS time. Boy this really is going to be a good season for me! hee-hee!

RacinRob
02-13-2006, 08:15 PM
how many times did they get caught?! Enough is enough already with that team

W. J.
02-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Regardless of who it is and what they did, the question still remains why wasn't it found before during tech inspection? Over the least few years they've found, only after an event: holes drilled in roll cages, unapproved intakes, unapproved nose pieces, etc., ad nauseum.... Not to knock all tech people, but some of these things are so blatant the question begs to be asked, "How come you didn't see it earlier?"

allhailunc
02-14-2006, 05:19 AM
Damn good day for Hendrick racing eh?One blewed up,one da-da-binged,one got called to the trailer&one got caught with the hands in the proverbial cookie jar tsk tsk tsk.great start :lol:

Wheel Racing
02-14-2006, 05:57 AM
Regardless of who it is and what they did, the question still remains why wasn't it found before during tech inspection? Over the least few years they've found, only after an event: holes drilled in roll cages, unapproved intakes, unapproved nose pieces, etc., ad nauseum.... Not to knock all tech people, but some of these things are so blatant the question begs to be asked, "How come you didn't see it earlier?"
It is possible that some people are really GOOD cheaters and don't get caught until somebody else rats them out which is why they don't get nailed until afterwards

randomrodder
02-14-2006, 07:35 AM
I recall Johnson's car last years, esp towards the end of the year. I'd say to Pete, doesn't the roof and rear quarter look to be slanted down a bit? Wouldn't bother me a bit to see Knaus gone for the entire year. Seems he thinks he's the only one worthy of any laurels.

catfish
02-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Maybe they did see it before and thought it would be more embarassing to the Hendrick organization to wait till after and make a big deal about it publicly

IDRIVEALARGECAR
02-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Well, when you have an extra track bar adjuster that lowers and raises the window, it is going to create a bit more down force, which caused the left rear wheel to rub and that's when the bells and whistles went off. Because all through practice it never rubbed once and then in qualifiying all of a sudden it's rubbing. Well, the bottom line is they got CAUGHT AGAIN. We all know that it is only cheating when you get caught, and they did again, so dont be alarmed if some real stiff and even more severe penalties are handed out to the most caught cheaters in all of NASCAR Racing. But I have to still agree with Jimmy Spencer on Chad Knaus, he is by Far one of the best Crew Chiefs in the sport and I am a Big Tommy Baldwin Jr. Fan. For Sure, he just knows how not to get caught. Chad is not only good, he is also very good with the engineers on doing stuff to enhance the performance of their cars, so still, my hats off to the Hendrick boys for trying and if anyone is surprised about them cheating, then they should look closer at the competitors at our own local track. Remember this, the engine builders in the Cup level are not the local tech inspectors either, so think about it.

Mortgage Guy
02-14-2006, 09:12 AM
WJ part of cheating is being able to disguise it really well, which I'm sure they did, as far as the inspectors, how many cars have they looked at over and over in the last week? They are bound to make mistakes, but I also like the angle that catfish was looking at, maybe NASCAR is not as dumb as some of us think. Chad Knaus has been caught cheating more than anyone in the past couple of seasons and yet he still tries to undermine NASCAR and continues to cheat, so they wait until he is on national TV with all of this exposure for his sponsor and then nail him when he has nowhere to run and hide. I hope they suspend him for at least the first 5 races, I'm sure Jimmie Johnson will be fine with or without him on the pit box but up to this point there have been to many slaps on the wrist. Start them at -50 points, give them the last pit selection each race, and don't let them qualify and make them use all of their provisionals while he is out, then they will think twice about cheating. In the end, it is a team sport and he should not be the only one to suffer.

W. J.
02-14-2006, 02:29 PM
I don't disagree, it just seems that these things are always found after the fact, never before, or, if they are, we never hear about it. My point was also that after the scrutiny TV gave to the inspection process, it seemed odd to me that it wasn't caught in the beginning. They could have been totally disqualified from even taking time, and might have suffered the ultimate penalty, missing the 500.
Maybe Gary Nelson is thinking about hiring Chad into the position he once held, Chief Inspector, to catch cheaters. Sometimes it's good to let the fox watch the henhouse, huh?

GSM
02-14-2006, 08:35 PM
What was found was a piece inside of the car that would raise the rear window after the car went through tech and passed the templates. Probably what happened is that whatever they used to do this didnt bring the roof back down, or JJ forgot to flip the switch to bring it back down.

DAN D.
02-15-2006, 12:24 AM
So was the car fast or faster in practice or qualifying? Even with a tire rub, was he the one that had the fake bottom to the fuel cell last year?
Hey maybe Knaus did not know that there was some sort of loose mountings that made the rear window move going about 185mph..? LOL
Imagine if there was some sort of device that Mods at Riverhead had in them that sort of acted like a reverse anti-lock brake on the left rear wheel that caused sparks to shoot out of the left rear wheel coming out of turn one and turn three? That would bring attention to the cars? and the tech committee. LOL

W. J.
02-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Imagine if there was some sort of device that Mods at Riverhead had in them that sort of acted like a reverse anti-lock brake on the left rear wheel that caused sparks to shoot out of the left rear wheel coming out of turn one and turn three? That would bring attention to the cars? and the tech committee. LOL

Lol-WELL PUT-lol!!! :lol: