PDA

View Full Version : LI Champion Additions

Captain History
03-01-2006, 03:24 PM
I ran across Bill Schindler as the 1945 Freeport T.Q. Midget champion so that moves back the track's 1949 beginning date.
I also have three of the last Islip champions that I e-mailed twice last year, but I thought I'd post it here as it fell through the cracks so to speak/didn't make it up. 1984 champions were Ray Grennan in Mini Modified, Jim Malone, Jr. in Charger (Novice) and Jim Nocella in Blunderbust. :applause:

W. J.
03-01-2006, 09:14 PM
They probably didn't fall through the cracks, they got caught in cyber space. Our email was screwed up to a fare-thee-well, but it's been fixed. Send them again if you like, we'll get them in a timely manner now. Thanks. :)

oldracer
03-07-2006, 08:34 PM
I would doubt that there was any racing there with the gas rationing and the metal and rubber going to the war effort. I don't know where you are getting this info but I would tend it not to be reliable.

LongIslandJam
03-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Actually... I do believe there was racing before 1949 at Freeport. I've got to check with the copies of programs I have of Freeport from the inaugural season.

I'll get back to you with an answer within a day...

Captain History
03-09-2006, 04:43 AM
I'm going by what I've read. That doesn't mean mistakes can't be made as I've run across misprints or things that were just plain wrong.
You can check this out for yourself then about Bill Schindler in particular about 1/3 of the way down the page: http://www.speedwaypromotions.com/nearal.htm

My grandfather was Buffalo, NY's Civic Stadium T.Q. Midget champion in 1945 and the first race held that season was in late August after WWII had ended (the track had been closed since August of 1942 until it returned to racing action three years later because of the war aspect). It is possible to have champions from that year is my point.

If stats or statements aren't correct, proving it is the way to go. I've heard of stranger things......

DAN D.
03-09-2006, 03:33 PM
I have the original program that says Meet #1-1946 and on the inside cover it says, in part ..
Racings New Set Up
THE AUTOMOBILE RACING ASSOCIATION
The advent of a new racing organization came into being on Friday evening , May 17th, 1946.
Car owners and drivers, disgruntled by treatment recieved from other associations, formed this new group to be know as The Automobile Racing Association(ARA).
Under the new club, the entire membership has a voice in the guidance of the organization, where in the past, the dictates of one man or of a favorite few, decided the policy of the majority.
The Organization is made up of many well known drivers and car owners in the Midget auto field, and the competitive spirit is very high, presaging a keen racing show for you, the Midget racing fan.
The newly elected president is a local favorite, JOHN SWEIR, of Astoria. His picture embraces the the cover of tonight's program. John, a former big-car driver at Roosevelt Raceway, took to Midgets in 1936, making his first start at Freeport Stadium. He has just returned from the West Coast circuit, where he met with excellent success. Johnny formerly drove a Carlheim Cycle owned by Eddie Bourgnom, but it is rumored that he will be at the wheel of an Offenhauser this season. Last week he scored top honors at Paterson, N.J., in his debut, winning the feature race.

I do have copies available at request. The inside pages also have the features winners and finishes along with 8 features of 18-20 laps and heat races of 12 laps each. Names like Jack Duffy, Red Raynor, Russ Klar, Smith, Cook Fusco, Moore ,Marty(69).

W. J.
03-09-2006, 07:11 PM
So this says the first racing took place at Freeport Stadium as early as 1936. Interesting. Thanks Dan.

Captain History
04-06-2006, 11:39 AM
http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus.php?db=ct&n=593
Here's 1946's Midget champion.....

Mod134
04-11-2006, 06:17 PM
ISLIP 1982 Champions
Modified John Blewett Jr.
Figure 8 – Doug Huber
Street Stock - Paul McEllearney
Mini Mod – Jerry Solomito
Novice - Dave Veltman