PDA

View Full Version : more knowledge needed -- freeze plug (I think)

rcp_ny
03-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Hi, I've discovered my car has a water leak, and it's coming out of a round hole about half-dollar size... I assume this is a freeze plug? Anyway, I found the plug, so my question is:

What's the proper way to put it back in? Does mere snugness hold it in place, or do I need to use some sort of high-temp epoxy or something?

Thanks,

W. J.
03-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Freeze plugs are generally held in by the pressure of the tight fit they should have. Clean out the opening (lightly sand the opening to clean it), get a new one, and put it in straight, tapping with a hammer. Epoxy would defeat it's function, which is to slide out under extreme pressure, as when your coolant freezes.
Good luck, work carefully.

spier racing 93
03-06-2006, 03:00 PM
There is no such thing as a "freeze plug," it is actually called a "core plug." Use a hammer and a punch to get the old one out. Clean the opening lightly with sandpaper. Apply a THIN coat of Permatex #1 Hardening Sealant around the contact points of the new core plug and the opening. You can NEVER use a silicone based sealant for a core plug, or you will have MAJOR problems.

That is how we do every engine in tech school. :wave:

RGeeProductions
03-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Correction: They are called "Freeze Out Plugs"..All above replacements are correct...

Rich Johnson
03-06-2006, 07:24 PM
I would like to add...
Using a socket that fits into the plug helps to drive the plug in straight.
There is a special tool, If you have that option.
Look for cracks running along the block.
Good luck.

RACINRICH

pappywrench
03-06-2006, 07:33 PM
I agree with racinrich on this. Check all the other freeze plugs too. After you get them in, run the motor good and hot and check for bubbles in the radiator and check the oil for water. A lot of times the block cracks before the plugs pop out.

pitbull113
03-06-2006, 09:13 PM
When you go to the parts store, don't get talked into the rubber plugs with the washer and bolt. IMO, they suck.

rcp_ny
03-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Even looks like a warm weekend coming to work on it!

CIN
03-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Technically: According to Labor Guide: They are called "Expansion Plugs" :D

spier racing 93
03-07-2006, 06:10 PM
They dont expand at all though...They seal the engine core.

unowho243
03-07-2006, 06:50 PM
I've always been told they were called freeze out plugs but ....I say tomato you say tomahto.

CIN
03-07-2006, 07:34 PM
I've always heard "freeze out" plugs too...but everytime I have to price out a job, I have to look up "expansion" plugs, go figure...but as long as you find a good parts guy/gal, they will know what the "heck" you want.... :D

W. J.
03-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Hmm, expansion...They would let the ice expand out of your frozen block, instead of cracking it, so I guess expansion is a good term, too.

CIN
03-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Hey what can I tell you...probably some College type engineer that never even looked at an engine gave it that name...

Mobigsly
03-12-2006, 07:27 PM
And there you have it folks!!!! The history of the water hole opening things in your engine block.

NEETS-1
03-12-2006, 07:39 PM
I bought a cherry '63 Plymouth Fury convertible w/ a 318 from a older guy when I was a "young'n". One problem the guy told me... one of the freeze plugs was leaking and I have to keep filling it up w/ water. Well I paid the guy the $15 (yes, fifteen dollars) he was asking for it...went to my car, got a pencil from my glove compartment, broke it in half, went under the car and stuck it in the hole where the freeze plug was leaking. I started it up, the water swelled the wood up and sealed the hole...I drove the car for a few months like that until I sold it for $50. (I threw in the pencil for free), lol.

ststock23
03-13-2006, 07:54 AM
Ahh, if only we had kept those cars of our youth..

rcp_ny
03-13-2006, 08:25 AM
Well it appears the plugs did not do their job, and the block is indeed cracked. I assume there's no fix for that, other than a different block. True? That's way over my head, so it looks like I'll need to bring the old Sundance out of mothballs (mouse nests?) for 4/1.

In a way that's ok, I've had a lot of fun in that Sundance, and you can tell by looking at it. :lol: It deserves another ride, even if the rear end is all screwy.

NEETS-1
03-13-2006, 11:01 PM
You don't even need the rear axle :eek: or just drive it like a pool player and put a little "English" on it in the corners :wave: