PDA

View Full Version : s-10 question

RacinRob
03-27-2006, 10:06 PM
I'm on the verge of purchasing a race ready s-10, late 80's. The owner stated he raced it once but it had no power. He recommended a tune up? Could this be the remedy? Maybe it's the distributor? Please try to help me out.

MOTORHEAD
03-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Could be the motor is plain tuckered out. See if the person will let you make a compression test, that will tell you a
lot about the life of the motor and how much more life is left in it.

Rich Johnson
03-28-2006, 07:22 AM
A compression test will weed out a tired motor. If you can not make that test, You can look for obvious signs. Listen for a "dead miss" which would be a steady "Putt-putt" at the tailpipe with the engine at a idle. Look for signs of an overheat. Check for "milky residue" on the underside of the oil cap.
See if the engine smokes on start up and if you hear any knocking in the engine once it is warmed up.
If all these things sound OK...There is a better chance of being able work with what you are looking to buy.

RacinRich

art11758
03-28-2006, 08:12 AM
I don't know if this is even relevant anymore, but check to see if the exhaust is "clear". If there is a catalytic converter that is not flowing well it will act like a cork in the exhaust. Or the obvious bent/crushed pipe.