PDA

View Full Version : Racin' Rich Johnson passes away

chris061
04-01-2006, 05:03 PM
I just received a call that Rich Johnson had a heart attack while racing in todays enduro at Mountain, and hit the wall. I am not sure of his condition, however I wanted to be the first to say GET WELL!!! Rich is a great guy and I wish him the best! If I hear of any other news, I will post it. Please do the same!
Chris Busick

LongIslandJam
04-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Indeed I wish him the best as well. Rich has been one of the Jam's best friends and racing's friends in general. Get well Rich!

pitbull113
04-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Yes Rich is a class act and hopefully he wasn't seriously hurt. get well soon dude.

chris061
04-01-2006, 06:01 PM
I just recieved the call I did not want to receive. Rich Johnson has passed away. No further details were given. I send my condolences to his family.
REST IN PEACE RICH!!!!!
CHRIS BUSICK

JCenduro
04-01-2006, 06:31 PM
I am very sorry for your loss,from the entire cooper family.

RebelMtrspts29
04-01-2006, 06:33 PM
I am a "the younger guy" in the class, and have had the pleasure of 5 seasons racing with Rich. I had looked up to him as one of the best in the class. He was one of those guys who was friends with everyone and who would help anyone out. Just this past off season Rich had started helping me get me to the front. I am speechless right now, and I do believe that our whole class has lost a good friend. Rich was the Dale Earnhardt, the Richard Petty, the Junior Johnson of Enduro racing in the north east, everyone knows his name. Things are just not going to be the same. RICH we all miss you already.

# 1 FOREVER!!!!!

We all send our thoughts and prayers
Rebel Motorsports
Brian Obiedzenski # 29 Grand Enduro

RacinRob
04-01-2006, 06:54 PM
wow.....speechless is a good word to describe how i feel. I never personally met Rich, but I was always in contact with Rich about questions about the enduros and he was great with advice. I know Rich died doing what he loved and I really hope Rich is in a better place. God Bless his soul.

Mortgage Guy
04-01-2006, 06:56 PM
I can not believe this, I just saw Rich recently and he looked great, ready to race. He was probably one of the nicest guys I have met in this racing community and the poster child for the Enduros, he would live, eat and breath Enduros and I feel, was going to step up and do very well in the Blunderbusts this year, it is such a shame to lose such a good man. My condolences to Cin and the entire Johnson family. You will be deeply, deeply missed.

Tim Halpin

LongIslandJam
04-01-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm deeply saddened by the news. Rich was Mr. Enduro. He helped folks in the Enduros to help grow the class. If it weren't for him, Enduros would be treated like a "circus act," but instead Rich showed us all, including myself, that Enduro racing is the purest form of racing, and one of the best forms.

Today we have lost a great competitor, a great friend, and a great guy all-around.

On behalf of LongIslandJam.com, I wish to send my deepest condolences to Cin and family, along with his friends.

RGeeProductions
04-01-2006, 07:10 PM
This is a very sad day. My deepest condolences go to Cin and family.

Golf Guy
04-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Rich you are a friend, a mentor, and an all around class act. Thanks for everything, I will never forget it or you. God Bless- Jim

maestri fan 1
04-01-2006, 07:24 PM
This is very upsetting news. I didn't know Rich at all, but Jim had been talking to him and got some good advice for our 4 cylinder enduro team. It just makes me speechless that this week Jim was asking for advice and now he's gone. On behalf of BSG MOTORSPORTS, Jim Laird and Myself send our condolences out to the Johnson Family. You are in our prayers.

Tracy87BB
04-01-2006, 07:29 PM
We send our deepest condolences to Rich's family and friends at this time. Rich truly was one of the "good guys," all around, and someone that we have deep respect for. There are no words that can convey the sadness that we feel over this news. Cin, you know how to get a hold of me if there is anything - and I do mean ANYTHING - that you or your family need. You have more of a support system at your disposal than you can imagine. Feel free to use it.

Chris, Tracy & Bryan Chirico

W. J.
04-01-2006, 07:31 PM
I am speechless and dumbfounded. Rich was a really classy racing guy, a 'go to person' for whatever you needed. He embraced racing as the sport that it is, always showing the sportman like qualities you'd hope to find in any competitor, but only found in some. I suppose the best thing about him was that he'd help you beat HIM, if you asked the right question, because he always gave a straight up, honest and helpful answer. That we have lost him is unthinkable, but it is an honor to have known such a good and decent person.
My condolences to Cin and his family, and I extend to them any help they might ever need. You know how to reach us all, through this forum, email or over the phone; just let us know what it is you want.

04BB
04-01-2006, 07:51 PM
This Is Horrible News. Over The Years, Rich Has Been Nothing But Helpful. Just Thursday Night I Was At His Shop Picking Up Carburators That He Built For Me. It Has Been Great Racing With Him Over The Years. He Will Be Missed, my Condolences Go Out To His Wife, children And Brothers.

W. J.
04-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Just to let everyone know, we have heard from Cindy Johnson, and she will be letting us know about arrangements for Rich when they are made. We will have them up on the Jam when we receive them.
For those not familiar, we temporarily deleted this and one other thread so that family members could be told about this tragedy by other family members, and not accidentally read it here. We thank you all for cooperating during that period of time.

Malverty23
04-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Dearest Cindy,
We were speechless when Wolfe called last night to tell us the news. Our thought's and prayers are with you and your family. There is no word that can be expressed loosing your husband. May God give you the strength to get through this tragic loss.

With our deepest sympathy,
Eugene & Michele Malverty

gzenduro12
04-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Our racing community has lost one of its all time greats..........
We have all lost a friend........
Cin & family look deep inside yourselves to find the strength you will need to endure this trying time. So sorry for your loss.
Greg Zaleski

NEETS-1
04-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Racin' Rich Johnson....My friend, your friend forever.

Cindy had given me the honor of seeing Rich one last time at the hospital. I shook his hand for all the racers. I cannot begin to say what I feel, I will just say I will never let anybody forget his memory. He is the true example of what we all should be in racing. We are the lucky ones to have known him. He left us doing what he loved and with all his friends.
I love you Rich

Wheel Racing
04-02-2006, 10:00 AM
When I first read the posts, I thought it was a cruel April Fools Joke. Now after reading the story on the main page, I wish it was a joke. What an absolute shame. Rich was one of the nicest guys I ever met in racing. He was always smiling which meant to me that he was happy and enjoying what he was doing. My condolences to the family.
Neal Jr

CheckerWon
04-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Very truly sorry to hear the sad, sad new's.......I didn't know Rich very long, however he was a very nice man....He was looking forward to racing in our division (Blunderbust) this coming season....Cindy , if you need anything, do not hesitate to ask...I can't believe this we just spoke at the L.I.K.A. show...Rich, Godspeed.........Artie and family...

Lori/39x
04-02-2006, 10:21 AM
To the entire Johnson Family,

We are very deeply saddened to hear of this tragic news. Though it's always difficult, take comfort in knowing that it happened doing something that Rich absolutely loved, with all of his closest friends. We're so very sorry to hear this news. Losing a fellow racer is such a terrible feeling for the entire racing community. We all carry very heavy hearts during this difficult time. Rich will forever carry the checkered flag now.

Our deepest condolences,
The Laubach Family
Dave, Lori and Madison Laubach/ 39x

2j Late Model
04-02-2006, 10:26 AM
THIS YEAR JUST PLAIN SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! Words cannot express the sadness that is felt by so many people. To watch the actions of everyone from the time that Rich hit the wall until the doctors told Cindy that it was too late. :disgusted It was like a huge nightmare. I personally was able to be there with Cindy at the Hospital and cannot tell you how devastating it was to see yet another person told that their life long companion is no longer with them. Rich was like everyone said, the Dale Earnhardt Sr. of NEETS, that was an honor for him, but why did his life have to end the same way???? :*-( :*-( :*-( :*-( :*-( :*-( :*-( :*-(
Cindy, it goes without saying how extremely sorry we all are. :( :( :( Times will be rough now for a long time for you and your children, especially, but try to take comfort that you will find peace in your heart knowing that he is in a much better place. Please, if you need anything at all, do not hesitate to call on any of us. We know from personal experience that the thoughts and kind words from the racing community DO help when you feel like you're alone. We love you!

Marissa 2AM
all of Mac Brothers Racing

pinkswifee
04-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Cin
Words Cannot Express Our Feeling. Rich Was A True Gentleman And A Good Friend. He Will Truly Be Missed. Our Prayers Are With You. May God Comfort You And Family.

Vinny And Tammy Marshall

racing#s
04-02-2006, 10:48 AM
I always made it a point to find Rich at the track because he was ALWAYS a guaranteed smile. After I found him, we always shook hands, spoke a bit, said our hellos, then I'd take his picture and off I went. He was always busy in some sort, either caught up in getting his car better, or helping someone else getting their car better. One thing for sure was that I always walked away with a smile thinking what a great guy he is and and how important it was to have people like him in our racing community. He was basically a legend-veteran in the enduro world. I was a fan of his when he was racing his classic #1, or when he was just out and about. God bless the Johnson family, I'm sorry for this tremendous loss, Godspeed.

lefty turner
04-02-2006, 10:52 AM
To Cin, my condolences and prayers to you and your family. I did not know Rich, I am new to NEETS, but from what I've read, I'm saddened that I didn't get the opportunity to. I am also the announcer at Path Valley Speedway, a little clay oval just north of Chambersburg, PA. I wish to extend the sympathies of everyone at our track and he will be remembered with a moment of silence at our track as well.

Rob Keller
#1 Trux

MonaLisa5869
04-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Words cannot express the loss the racing community has endured with the passing of Racin Rich, He was a true gentleman both on and off the track. Our condolences go out to Cindy and family on their terrible loss. May God watch over you and give you the strength to get through this.

Danielle and the crew from the pit stand

"Enduros won't be the same with out him, His big smile and thumbs up before the start of a race will be missed, He will be forever a part of the Riverhead family and will never be forgotten , My condolences to his family and friends"

Bumper Boy (Ed Laspina)

Sac-Man
04-02-2006, 11:34 AM
My sincere condolences to the entire Johnson Family.
I race with the 4 cylinders and didn’t have the fortune to directly talk or race with Rich but I knew who he was. I have been in his presence and felt the positive and welcoming energy that he exerted on all those around him. I knew he was great…

John Saccomandi

unowho243
04-02-2006, 11:49 AM
He was a true gentlemen, and although I only met him once, his helpful Information will be with me, as well as all of us, forever. He had helped me out with a lot of info on the enduros this year and I never got to thank him in person. You will be missed Racin Rich, by everyone, watch over all of us this season and all seasons to come forever #1.

Jim Laird

Duke22
04-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Cindy, may you find the strength to carry on. I've known Rich since the Barry Estler figure-8 days and I'm friends with his Uncle Joe. A great man and a great loss. My prayers are for you.

Bill Batsche Jr.

DB Motorsports
04-02-2006, 12:08 PM
My deepest condolences go out to Rich Johnson's friends and family. It is a very sad day for our sport.

Mobigsly
04-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Article from local Standard Speaker Newspaper.....RIP Racin Rich........

Man dies in Butler auto race
Sunday, 02 April 2006
A New York man apparently died of natural causes before his vehicle crashed into a guiderail at a Butler Township racetrack Saturday afternoon, township police said. Police believe that Richard Johnson, 49, of Mastic, N.Y., suffered a heart attack before his vehicle slammed into guiderail on a curved section of track at Mountain Speedway.
Witnesses told police that Johnson appeared to have been slumped over the wheel just as a late afternoon race began.
Police said no other injuries were reported.
“He didn’t hit any other cars,” police said. “He went straight into the guiderail.”
Emergency personnel performed CPR on Johnson, but could not revive him, police noted. Johnson’s family has a long history of heart conditions and it is not clear as of press time whether an autopsy will be conducted, police said.
He was pronounced dead at 4:49 p.m. Police said they are treating the incident as a “death investigation” rather than an accident, particularly after learning about Johnson’s health conditions.
Valley Regional Fire and Rescue assisted township police at the scene.

pitbull113
04-02-2006, 01:53 PM
What can be said about Rich that hasn't already been said. He was a great guy that always had a smile on his face and was always willing to help others at the track and on this forum. He left a void that will never be filled. On behalf of Elicati Motorsports Steve,Lynwood and Eric our deepest sympathy goes out to the Johnson family.

DOR 58 FIGURE 8
04-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Oh My God!! Speechless, Shocked to say the least. I wish this was an April Fool's Joke or even a BAD Dream!! :*-( It has taken me almost a half hour to read this post because I couldn't stop crying. :*-( I am just So Sorry for your loss. If it wasn't for Rich and Cindy, I don't think I would have gotten the wins that I did in the Ladies Enduro. Rich truly is the "Enduro King"!! Even when he didn't win, he still had that Big Smile on his face, and would just say "I'll have to be just a little bit smarter next time," or "I think I got something that will be able to beat him next week."
Rich was even a Great Mechanic, who cared about All his customers. I pulled into his shop late, long after he was closed, and asked him to look at my truck, he did, and told me what to tell Kenny to get to fix it. Knowing Kenny was very busy getting ready for a Blizzard, Rich called me Saturday morning, a day he doesn't work, and told me to bring my truck back down to him so he could fix it, because he didn't want me to get stuck while I was out plowing. He didn't do it because he needed the money, he told me just come by during the week, just because that's the kind of guy Rich was.
All who knew him were truly blessed, if we all were a little more like Rich, this world would be a much better place.
Cindy, I know all of these words that everyone has to say about your husband are nice, and right now they don't mean very much, because all you want right now is your husband back, and no one can blame you. But just remember that there are a lot of people here to help you through this heart breaking time. If you need anything, PLEASE call us, we're here if you need us.
Our Sincere Condolences and Prayers are with You, your Kids, his Brothers and the rest of the Johnson Family!!
Godspeed!!!
Kenny, Dorothea, Lil Kenny & Kimberly

Bobby Pease
04-02-2006, 02:48 PM
#1, My family and I send our condolences.. As you come down the front straight, closing on the leader, God says it's time... Not while working, cleaning or doing yard work... On the race track, in the race car that you love.. encircled by others who race and love racing as well.. Rich, you will be very much missed by all that knew you, and by those who only heard of you. I had the opportunity to know you very well, and I am lucky for that. Also, I had the sad / hard task of trying to pull you back from God's hands, I also had the opportunity to shake your hand goodbye as they pulled you from the car. I will miss you my friend, and I will Never ever forget you #1...
Love always,
Bobby Pease

99racing
04-02-2006, 03:48 PM
We are still in Shock.. Our condolences go out to Cindy and the kids and Alan & Stevie on their terrible loss.. We are so Sorry to hear about your loss.. If there is anything we can do for you guys please dont hesitate to call us..

God Speed # 1 Racin Rich..

Kim and Jason Carpenter

The Bullfather
04-02-2006, 03:50 PM
The word "no" just came into my head. This can't be! I really got to know Rich this past year and had many deep conversations with this wonderful and caring man. He was one driver I was looking foward to seeing and talking with again in 2006. We can't take for granted each other. Watch your words and your actions, because they leave lasting impressions. Rich, you were one of the best people in the pits. I will miss you! Godspeed.
selah
peter

I will miss you, my friend.

Tower Man
04-02-2006, 04:57 PM
What can I say....

Just recently I had the opportunity to visit the shop and talk racing. We talked about his plans and my daughter's plans. He enlightened me that day and believe it or not, I was touched by his genuine concern for my daughter and his willingness to help guide her.

Rich and I didn't always see eye to eye at Riverhead, but at the same time we learned from each other and shared our thoughts about racing and I think we both walked away respecting each other a little more.

(Rich I know your reading the Jam up there, so if you see my uncle, Johnny Kraft, help him with his race car, cause he could never get it off the corner without spinning).

May God give Cindy and her family the strength needed during this difficult time.

vsmidge68
04-02-2006, 06:02 PM
The Crew and families of OC Racing wish to extend our deepest sympathies to the entire Johnson family. Our cars ran in the enduros with Rich and he was a tough competitor but a clean driver and a gentleman on and off the track. He will be missed and remembered fondly.

# 42 8 cyl
# 55 8 cyl
# 34 8 cyl

spier racing 93
04-02-2006, 06:07 PM
I am still in shock about this...my deepest condolences to the Johnson family.

nobandwagonhere
04-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Where do I start. Rich and I may not have seen eye to eye with certain issues, but all of which was PETTY compared to this. This is a whole different ball game. I loved racing against him because of what a GREAT competitor he was. One of the cleanest drivers with the ability to race as strategic as playing chess. He was the one guy who when it came to enduro racing, he can make it happen. He will definitely be missed. I kind of wish I was not there to see it happen, but then again how many times do you see someone pass doing the one thing they absolutely love to do. To the Johnson family, my condolences and prayers are with you. To the friends, especially all of us who were there...well....what to say. Nothing that hasn't been said or felt. Rich is racing on tracks of gold. God speed.

Donny Oliver #55 8cyl

:(

chealy7296
04-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Cindy-our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. He will be missed.

Christine and Mike R

Phantom17
04-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Our thoughts and prayers to the entire Johnson family. We lost a great one.
The Meola family

RacerChick56k
04-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Our deepest condolences and prayers are with the Johnson family. We are new to the NEETS family also. Although we didn't know him personally, we will greatly miss a fellow NEETS racer deeply.

The Kovach family 56k
John,Maria,and Kayla

Teds Race Tours
04-02-2006, 06:35 PM
What a sad day this is! I wasn't good friends with Rich, but I knew him from the races. In the mid to late 90's Rich usually ended up sitting near me on the backstretch during the tour races. He would always ask for the modified frequencies which I would gladly give him. We'd talk about Racing, and he loved to talk about enduros. He was so passionate about them, just like I am with modifieds. It was fun listening to him talk. He was always nice and personable.
I guess the last time I spoke with him was last summer at Riverhead. I saw him over by turn 3 and we chatted about buses, and scanners, and enduros. He always had a smile for ya.
Rest in peace Rich, you'll be missed.

enduro13x
04-02-2006, 07:14 PM
I never got the chance to meet Rich in person, but he always raced me clean on the racetrack and I have a lot of respect for people like him. Our deepest condolences go out to the Johnson Family and the entire #1 team.

Nick Shaw and everyone on the #13x Big Car pit crew

miller78
04-02-2006, 07:23 PM
My first enduro was May 30/05, which we all know Rich won that day. I'm out there running bottom thinking no one going by my me on the inside. Next thing I know, here comes the red and white number 1 under me on that torn up concrete dirt below the line and I'm looking like... he's gonna upset that car and take the guy above me out. He went on and passed like 2 other cars in that turn. It looked like something that Dale Earnhardt would pull off. Yesterday, I talked to him for the first time for about 5 minutes, & asked him stuff about his car. Rich told me a lot good stuff that I might try on my car, so my prayers go out to the whole Johnson family and God speed, Rich.

J & J Racing 41
04-02-2006, 07:23 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to the Johnson family. I have many great memories racin door to door with Rich and BS'n in the pits. We're going to missya bud.......

Geno
04-02-2006, 07:38 PM
I still can’t believe it… :*-( Cindy, anything you guys need…just name it. Little did I know that the handshake I received from Racin’ Rich before the race would be the last one I’d receive from him. He was a good friend and always had something to smile about. I’ll never forget that he won the first NEETS race that I announced, and the smile on his face in victory lane. God took Rich while he was chasing down the win. He is now in God’s victory circle.

Our condolences and prayers to you & your family,
Gene, Jeralyn, Tyler & Rose Ostrowski

racenut38
04-02-2006, 07:48 PM
To Cindy and the rest of the Johnson family, our heartfelt condolences. What can I say that hasn't already been said. He was an inspiration to me and will be missed by all. Bob Haeger

enduroracer131
04-02-2006, 07:57 PM
We will all miss Racin Rich, our hearts and our deepest condolences go out to his family. At least he lost his life doin what he loved. Everyone will miss you Rich. :*-(

John Cozza
04-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Who would have thought that when I helped you pull the trailer in yesterday, it would be our last hours to be together. I am glad however that we were together doing what we love best, racing. There are really no words that can say how I feel. Our thoughts are with you Cindy and your family. If there is anything at all that we can do for you please do not hesitate to ask. Rich, you will be sorely missed by all and the full impact will hit us very soon. It is still all so hard to believe......you will never be forgotten. :*-(

John, Janet, and Emily Cozza

May God hold you all in the palm of his hand.

wayne
04-02-2006, 08:19 PM
I never met Rich Johnson before, but when I posted that I was switching from Riverhead to Mountain Speedway, he was the first to PM me and offer me his help, and back and forth we went a few times on the computer about racing. That really shows what kind of man he was. To the Johnson family... our condolences, Meyer Racing.

Wayne Meyer
Jamie Curtis
Joe Roth
Jennifer Meyer

pappywrench
04-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Racin' Rich, words cannot describe how I feel. NEETS has lost one of it's founding fathers. His love for the sport has touched so many people and he will forever be etched into my memory. He helped take guys from different states with different veiws and helped forge them into a solid force, a family.
I know it's a family, because I feel like I have lost a brother. To Cin and the rest of the Johnsons, may God give you strength to endure. Pappy

BlingxBling
04-02-2006, 09:00 PM
I am at a complete loss for words. My prayers and condolences are within the entire Johnson family during this time of loss. I often find myself questioning God and the things he does. It is always the good who die young. I wish I could write a novel stating how well I knew Rich and that we were the awesomest buddies, but unfortunately I didnt have enough time to get to know him better. One of the few short memories that stands out in my mind dates back to this past October. It was at one of Billy Bartley's famous after race parties. I was about 2 beers from being 3 sheets to the wind, and Rich had approached me. He had said Hello and all. Since I am not the best with names I usually just remember what car and number. So of course Rich throws me for a loop asking me if I know who he is. I muttered out ever so quietly, "yes you drive the number one". Since he didn't quite hear me and thought I had said something else, he said no. He proceeded to tell me his name, and again I had said "yes you drive the number one". Just as I had suspected he didn't hear me when I first said it. It was just a few weeks prior that I came out of the wood work and became known other than a poster on these boards. I knew that "Rich Johnson" was a pretty popular person amongst the Neets family, so I felt pretty darn important that he knew who I was. He then proceeded to tell me who a few of the other Long Islanders were. I apologize for my short term memory, but the only one I remember him pointing out was Tom Slee. After that, every time I saw him he made sure to say hello. I wanted to share this memory because it is probably one of the very few that I have.

Rich...I know you are up there somewhere, but if you get a chance, watch over all these guys and girls. I am not sure we can handle any more losses and if you can network those Lottery numbers for me for Wednesday, that would be great. You will be greatly missed. You may be gone forever, but you will never be forgotten! Rest in peace...

KYM
04-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Our Thoughts And Prayers Go Out To The Johnson Family. Kim & Joe 22B L/m

VNmotorsports
04-02-2006, 09:19 PM
We were saddened when we read the news about Rich, what a complete shock. Our condolences go out to the Johnson family and all the people he has touched. He was a great man and will be truly missed.
A.J. & Michelle VanNess

JKLawlor
04-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Richie was a true friend. He brought so many of us together. His advice on and off the track will never be forgotten and sorely missed. To Cindy, Rich, Mikey and Samatha, he was a great husband, and a loving father. I know myself and my family will surely miss him always and forever.

The Lawlor Family
Big Kev + Tilli

michael
04-02-2006, 10:16 PM
The Owner and Crew send Our Thoughts And Prayers To The Johnson Family.

Al Johnson
04-02-2006, 10:20 PM
As you all know, my brother Rich passed away doing what he loved to do, enduro racing. It all started back in the early 90's when Rich mentioned how cool racing at Riverhead Raceway was. We (me, Rich and Steve) all got cars together to go enduro racing. At the time there were four races with 125 cars in each race. It was a challenge just to finish a race. Of course, without Rich's help this could not have happened. He was instrumental in starting us in enduro racing. We learned through trial and error how to become competitive, improving our driving skills and cars. I was lucky enough to win a race in 1996 and of course my brother had a lot to do with it. We were from a racing family. My father raced go-carts, speedboats and quarter-mile. He would have raced circle track but trying to convince my mother, they went to Freeport Racetrack and unfortunately, someone died in a midget car that day. He would have been proud of Rich and how much he contributed to enduro racing. Rich made many friends and helped people when he could. He wanted to race blunderbust this year and I'm sure he would have excelled in that division. He lived and breathed racing, he was a successful businessman, owning a repair shop and was a dedicated husband and father. I am touched by the response of his fellow racers at this tragic time. His life was too short, but he made a difference to many and will not be forgotten.

Thank you.
Al Johnson

White Lightnin
04-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Our thoughts and prayers are with the Johnson familly at this time of sadness from the past and present owners of the Crossroads Inn. The after race parties will never, ever be the same. God's speed brother.

Bob and Debbie Hatcher
Dean and Brenda Kline

BBI1432
04-02-2006, 10:57 PM
My condolences go to Cindy and family. Rich was a great person. He always had a smile and was always willing to help a fellow racer. He will be missed by everyone!

Brian Brown

kathyc41968
04-02-2006, 11:23 PM
We Will So Miss You. You Have Touched Me And My Children In So Many Ways That You Left A Lasting Impression. You Have Been A Part Of My Life For Over 26 Years And Will Live On With Me Forever. I Have Never Meet Anyone That Was So Accepting Of Everyone And That Was One Of Your Best Quialities. You My Dear Brother-in-law Were One Of A Kind And My Sister And My Niece And Nephews Were Blessed To Have You As There Dad, Husband, Buddy And Friend. Bless You Rich I Will Miss You

TheVinylAnswer
04-02-2006, 11:46 PM
We were very saddened to hear this devastating news.. We send thoughts and prayers, and pray for strength..

kathyc41968
04-02-2006, 11:51 PM
This Goes Out To All Of You.

Rich Is My Uncle , Also An Amazing Guy. And I Spent A Whole Day With My Aunt And Cousins Helping Them Out With What Ever They Need ! I Know That All The Great Things You Are Writing About Him, I'm Sure He Is Very Proud Of Himself To Help Out Many People With A Lot Of Different Things, And That One Day, My Aunt Will Sit Down And Read All The Great Things You Wrote About Her Husband And Sure She Will Be Very Thankful For All Of You Trying To HeLp Her Through This Horrible Time. :*-( Thank You For All Being My Uncles Friend. God Bless You Uncle Rich! Also, My Aunt Knows That Anything That She Needs We Will Be There For Her No Matter What, And The Same With My Cousins! I Am So Very Sorry!! .

Love You Aunt Cin, Sam, Mikey, And Richie

rest In Peace Uncle Rich
You Will Be Forever Missed, We Love You !

Love Always ,
Anthony And Crystal

rockandrollcafe
04-03-2006, 12:29 AM
This is the saddest thing I've ever posted- What a good guy Rich Johnson was. The last 2 days I've been reflecting. Looking at racing pictures- reading messages that I saved from Rich. This SUCKS. There's no other way to put it. I lost a great friend. My heart goes out to you Cin. I am heartbroken for you and your children and as I already told you- if I can do anything for you, I would be honored. Whenever I got heated up over a racing situation- Rich would talk to me in his diplomatic way. He never convinced me that I was wrong- but I would drop it-only because I liked Rich and if it mattered that much to him- he had my respect.
I always told Rich that I was going to beat him, (maybe if he got a flat I would have a chance) but anyway, my block cracked last winter, and Richie called me and said "come to my shop, I have a running 350-its yours, you can't beat me without a motor". I think that anyone that wins a Grand Enduro Race (which was Rich's choice for the name of our division) should point that trophy towards the sky and thank Racin Rich Johnson for making it possible for you to be there,

Racing Rich Johnson - A fierce competitor!

Rich Johnson - a true gentleman

I will always be indebted to you my friend-
Godspeed and God Bless you and your family.

stockade racing
04-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with the Johnson familly

310fig8
04-03-2006, 08:03 AM
Five pages of posts to this point is a testimonial to the person and racer Rich was. I had the pleasure of meeting Rich only a few years ago. I wasn't sure about driving Enduros. Rich offered me a ride in one of his cars for opening day at Riverhead 2003 to see what it was like. I had a blast!!!! I purchased the car from him and ran it at Riverhead and with the NEETS Tour that year. Rich opened up a new world for me. Any time I needed help or advice with the car, I was never turned down. The world would be a greater place if there were more people like Rich in it. I know my world was better because of him.
Cin and all of the Johnson family, from me and the Stockert family, our deepest condolences. Rich will never be forgotten!!
Bill Stockert

NJ Chick
04-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Words can't express how tragic and how sad it is to have lost such a great man. Rich was there from day one of NEETS and has always supported it, promoted it, even in the early days, when the series was floundering, he still believed in it and helped it to become the success it is today. Cin, our hearts are broken for you, your entire family, all of Rich's good friends, it's just unbelievable. The entire racing community has suffered a horrible loss, Rich will be deeply missed.

If there is anything at all we can do, please don't hesitate to ask.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Howie & Cindy

Rubbin&Racin
04-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you, may God Bless! So sad to read that another one of our drivers was taken, another giant of a man so loved and cared about, Rich was kind, warm and sensitive and always willing to help others. Rich was a son, husband, father, brother and uncle to so many. May you find comfort at this time that Rich is at peace and he truly was loved by all. Life is so short so if tomorrow never comes tell that loved one how you feel. God Bless!

Love,
Andy & Jo- Lokkeberg

Lad3der
04-03-2006, 02:50 PM
To Cindy and the entire Johnson family,
Words can't explain what happened Saturday at the track. First, I would like to send my sincere condolences to you and the family at this unfortunate time. Rich was a great guy and a friend to all. Rich has helped out many, he was one of the nicest guys you'll ever know. I am glad that I am able to call Rich a friend. I want to let you know that your family, you and he will be in my thoughts and prayers during this hard time. Please, if there is anything I can do, just let me know.

sincerly
matt odwazny
stephanie grippi

CJ MOTORSPORTS
04-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Sad Is Not Even Close To The Way My Family And I Feel! Richie And I Go Back Over 15 Years. He Asked If He Could Use My Car For His First Enduro Ride. He Raced With My Wife Christine For Years And Always Said She Was One Hell Of A Racer. I Was His Crew Chief When He Raced The Blunderbust Car. We Didn't Always See Eye To Eye, But He Would Give That Smile And All Was Good. I Asked Him If He Could Put My Son Jimmy In His Car To Practice At Mountain Speedway.. His Response To Me, "I Would Be Honored". That's Just The Way He Was... Whole Hearted! I Am Sorry You Didn't Get To Do That, I Know How Much You Liked Jimmy, He Will Be Racing Soon, Pal... Give A Look In On Him. I Will Always Smile When I Think Of Richie And I Think He Would Like It That Way. My Family And I Give The Deepest Sympathy To Everyone In The Johnson Family. Anything I Can Do For You, I Will!!!

SINCERLY
Scott, Christine, Cassandra, Jimmy

woot lawrence
04-03-2006, 04:43 PM
My sincere condolences to Cindy and the entire Johnson family. I've spoken with Rich a few times at Riverhead Raceway, Mountain Speedway and even at his shop, what a nice guy, always made you feel welcome. We've lost one of the best. He left us all doing what he loved, racing. He will be missed by all. God bless you Racer Rich.

Tink 09
04-03-2006, 06:09 PM
I have spent the last two days trying to put into words what Rich meant to me and my husband, and alas there are too many. He was family not only to us, but to so many, not by true blood, but by the racing that runs in our blood. It ran through his veins like oxygen to most people. Rich and Cindy have done so very much for the sport of enduro racing, not only in the public eye, but in the emails, the telephone calls, the "stop by and let me see's" that he was so infamous for.

I cannot think of a time in the past 15 years that he has not looked at my car when "it's making a funny noise", or when I would just call and say I need my oil changed and he would have Bobby bring it by that evening. They'd check it over before I would take it on a trip - Just to be sure I was safe.

The numerous late nights they all spent on the eve of an enduro, getting all the cars ready for the race the next day. The countless people that would call with an question that tortured them for days and Rich would be able to fix it in a matter of minutes. He was the true "enduro car" go to answer man. And let's not forget the Tuesday after the race; stick out your chest and strut around the shop while they watched the video of the race. You could see the cloud of testosterone all the way to Montauk.

No, I can't put it into words, because the actions of this great friend spoke for themselves. We will truly miss you Rich and all the times we have shared will never be forgotten.

God Speed - The pit gate to heaven is now open!

Bob & Kelly Baker

Hobo
04-03-2006, 07:09 PM
I just dont know what to say. Rich has done so much not only for me in my enduro racing but racing in general. Always with a smile and words of encouragment. Our condolences to Rich's entire family. We are so sorry.

John & Mary Totten

speedy123
04-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Our condolences go to Cindy, her children and Rich's brothers and family for this tragic loss of a true gentleman. I asked Rich a lot of questions about racing and he always gave me the right answer and never steered me in the wrong direction. I never saw him mad, he was always calm and willing to help. He will be missed and never forgotten.

God speed Our prayers and thoughts,
Caesar & Joanne

winky417
04-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Our Thoughts and Prayers to The Johnson Family.
Bob, Jody, Eric and Jacob Wink---Maddawg Motorsports 417-12

James White
04-03-2006, 09:28 PM
With our deepest sympathy to Cindy and family please keep the happiest memories close to your heart throughout these tough times we all know you were blessed with plenty, and remember family will pull you through.

In these tough times please let us be of any help necessary

BUSY BEE RACING

richardpetey
04-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Words won't change the emptiness in their hearts............
As the Johnson familys' patriarch departs....................... :(
It's sadness that marks his final earthly races plight.................
But in heaven, Racin' Rich will be driving at the speed of light............. :cool:
He will be missed at more than one track or another.............
I'd give the world for one more race with my NEETS brother................ :disgusted
Behind every good man is a loving, caring wife...............
May Cindy and her children find strength in the GRAND memories of his life......... :cool:
Its hard to bid farewell to a really great friend................
I pray your #1 spirit go on without end............................. :wave:

UNCLE PETEY........................ :*-( :*-( :*-( :*-( :*-(

CIN
04-04-2006, 12:44 AM
I would like to thank everyone for the heartfelt comments. I will post more when I get by the next couple of whirlwind days. For now I would like to let everyone know this:
For as long as I can remember Friday night after 6 PM at the shop was the guys night - to work on race cars, to sit around and have a couple of beers and conversation. From me to all, I will have the shop open this Friday nite - April 7th, after working hours - 6pm, for any of you who would like to come down, beer, soda, some food and conversation...all (including the females, this time) are welcome. If you feel the need to bring anything feel free. It will just be hanging out at Constant. Knowing my husband like I did, he would not have wanted it any other way.

Oh, for right now one more thing....is there anyone out there that knows how to work on carburators?

I will be in touch again....

The kids and I love you all
Thank You
Cin

Banana Girl
04-04-2006, 01:37 AM
I am one of the newer racers at Mountain Speedway, but have already had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Rich and his brother for quite some time at the Crossroads at the last pit party. I thought it was funny that Rich invited his brother to come be with him, but purposely neglected to tell him they were staying over so that he was sure his brother would stay!

Saturday at the the track I stopped Rich right before he got on the race track and I told him I had to give him a good luck kiss. Rich died with that kiss on his cheek.

We all need to give a shout out to Bobby Pease who tried to do everything possible for his friend. I watched the whole scene unfold and Bobby was there until the end.

God Bless the Johnson and Pease families.

Gwen Sakowski
#75 4 cylinder

17Racer
04-04-2006, 11:21 AM
My whole families hearts go out to the Johnson family in this time of need. Rich was a great person and he will be deeply missed by all.

The Bullfather
04-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Rich you touched many lives. I hope we can all take a lesson or two away from such an honorable man. Going to miss you buddy!

CJfilms
04-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Cindy, I, as well, have to thank you for giving me the chance to pay my respects at the hospital along with Billy... Rich was loved by all and will be missed dearly. Tomorrow night will be hard for all of us, but we will all be there for you...

From Philly with love!

Charlie's Angel
04-04-2006, 04:46 PM
:( Charlie and I would like to send our deepest sympathies to the entire Johnson family! I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Rich will be truly missed. You are all in our prayers and thoughts today! May God give you peace and comfort at this very difficult time. :(

Angel & Charlie Rittenhouse

SmallCar18
04-04-2006, 06:40 PM
I met Rich in 2003 when NEETS travelled to Wall Speedway. He certainly saved the day for me that day! I was unaware window nets were mandatory there and I didn't have one. He happened to have an extra one. He had never met me before and even though he was leaving before I raced he said just bring it with you to the next race. I can't tell you how grateful I was. I can see from all the posts here this was nothing out of the ordinary for him.

My deepest condolences go out to Rich's family and many friends and fans.

rabbid1
04-04-2006, 10:51 PM
The #17 gang sends its condolences to the Johnson family. Take heart in the many many people who truly cared as much for Rich, as he cared for them. Rich's memory and spirit will live on in the hearts of all he touched. That's all anyone can ask for. His was a life well lived and heaven is now a better place. Matt Pepitone

Clean-Burn Jim
04-04-2006, 11:07 PM
Cindy & family, so sorry for this great loss, all our love and prayers
from the Rushforth family.

jimwhite
04-05-2006, 08:00 AM
Cindy, we have such fond memories of you and Rich. You both have been such strong forces in our lives; we have had some laughs about our racing as well as some cheers, but always it has been fun. Rich had taught us so much over the years; he was always there for everyone. He will always be remembered as #1 as a racer and as a friend. We are here for you if you need us. Laura, Jim and Joey.

DAN D.
04-05-2006, 09:16 AM
No Words Can Express The Sorrow Felt For The Entire Johnson Family, My Condolences . Dan Dombal

hollywoodmic
04-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Unfortunately, we loose another great person way before their time. All we speak about is the amazing way Rich touched people, he always made you feel comfortable. He and Cindy would support anything, as long as it had a little something to do with racing. I am glad he made it to our Daytona 500 party again, I am glad he came out to see my brothers band the last time they played at Brunos. As I said, Rich supported everything racing. The best way I can describe Rich was as a proactive guy, not a guy who bit*hed, a guy who tried to make things better for the racers around him. I'll miss that big ole mustache. Godspeed to the entire Johnson family.

Steve Halpin

ray fitzgerald
04-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Rich I could not of had a better person to call my BEST friend. We helped each other out and never kept a secret from one another and we always wound up racing each other door handle to door handle. I'm gonna miss busting your balls and we will never forget you. Foot to the floor coming out of four is the way I know you would of wanted to go and I am going to miss you buddy.Ray FitzGerald

EnduroFromDE
04-05-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm fairly new to this Enduro world, and never got a chance to meet Rich or talk to him, beside the normal "hey, how you doing". But if he got nearly 100 post in only 3 days, he must have made an impact. So many peple are talking about him, not only in the enduro world, but in so many people's hearts. You will be missed, but never forgotten. Thoughts and prayers do got out to Cindy and the entire Johnson family. The Sapp Family

Pitboy
04-05-2006, 10:05 PM
We, too would like to express our condolences to Cindy and her family. Listening to the many drivers talking about Rich's generosity with his time, advice and racing expertise, it is quite obvious that there was not a driver whose car will race this season without Rich. This is his season and he will race each and every race!!!
al and jean waldron

rocket
04-05-2006, 11:18 PM
My thoughts and prayers to Cindy and family. The first time I met Rich he gave me a handshake and his big smile. I told him I just started racing enduros. Well, he gave me some pointers right away. He gave me that same big smile and a handshake Saturday for the last time. I will miss him.
Rich Johnson truly was a #1.---- Rich Onorato #7Trux.

debbie33
04-06-2006, 06:15 AM
Kenny and I would like to send our deepest sympathies to the entire Johnson family! We are sorry to for your loss. You are in our prayers during this time of great sorrow.

Ken Heagy & Debbie Fleming

art11758
04-06-2006, 09:34 AM
I'm fairly new to this Enduro world, and never got a chance to meet Rich or talk to him, beside the normal "hey, how you doing". But if he got nearly 100 post in only 3 days, he must have made an impact. So many peple are talking about him, not only in the enduro world, but in so many people's hearts. You will be missed, but never forgotten. Thoughts and prayers do got out to Cindy and the entire Johnson family. The Sapp Family
I can add to this. Rich and I were 'net buddies. I actually only met him face to face three times, but we had a rapport, if you will. We discussed setups and other ideas via this board and email. I guess it is a reflection of the world we live in today. Regardless, I was shocked and saddened to learn of his passing and was able to pay my respects to him and his family last evening, feeling the loss the "old fashioned way". Rest in peace Rich.

greenflag
04-06-2006, 08:20 PM
I begin by extending my condolences to the family of Rich Johnson. I wasn't able to attend this past Saturday afternoon's race, so when I logged on to read the NEETS board, I was totally shocked and stunned as to what I had read.

I am also fairly new to the NEETS scene, and am getting to know some of the competitors. I never had the opportunity to meet Rich. When you watch the drivers race, though, it seems like you already know them. I was sitting there the day that Rich won a NEETS enduro last year, I believe it was in May. He drove a great race and captured the victory.

We're really going to miss watching car #1 out on the race track. Again my thoughts and prayers are extended to the family.

LLBUZZY
05-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Unfortunately due to personal problems I couldn't field a car for this upcoming season and have kind of been out of touch with what has been going on. I planned on going to tomorrows opening day so I logged on to the jam. I started reading a thread about a free Enduro, well to make a long story short I saw it said In memory of Rich Johnson. I feel terrible, my story is probably like so many out there. I love Racing but like most of us life stands in the way of actually doing it, but because of Enduro racing and someone like Rich Johnson we get to taste a little bit of a dream and think what if........ When I first talked to Rich it was on-line here at the jam, I knew who he was from going to the track. I had raced Enduros before and had taken 2 seasons off, we talked about what cars were good and he even offered to help find one with me, imagine that and he didn't even know me. Well we did meet at the track and when I found a car he offered advice and he was very helpful. In return I brought my everyday cars to his shop for oil changes ect.. and I will never forget when I brought my Z-28 there for a brake job which he saved me a fortune. At that time at the shop I met his wife Cindy, I thought it was cool that they both worked at the shop and I'll never forget how many phone calls and how many people showed up while I waited for my car to be finished, it's amazing how many people he helped. Oh and by the way Rich I just wanted to say Thank You for giving me what tire pressures to run. To the Johnson family I hope you are doing better, what can anyone say to someone who has lost a loved one, we've all been there and feel your pain, may your family, friends and god help you through.

Lou B (LLBUZZY)

CarWarsVet
05-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Life. It appears you didn't waste a moment.