PDA

View Full Version : Somthing to think about SAFETY IDEA

Mobigsly
04-02-2006, 06:10 PM
I thought about this before and would like to suggest making all cars run a track radio, like they do with their weekly racers. It's fairly cheap to purchase a Radio Shack special scanner, easier than putting a truck on corner 3 with a siren and safer than having your head flag man jump in front of a pack of speeding cars. I also think it would make it easier to line up, make red flags easier, and let the drivers know what is going on during accidents and transponder malfunctions. Just my 2 cents

enduro13x
04-02-2006, 06:31 PM
I, too, believe that this is a great idea, because we sat on the track for a long time and had no idea what was going on. It would also help to avoid making a small accident a big one. Great Idea!
Nick Shaw
Big Car #13x

EnduroFromDE
04-02-2006, 06:48 PM
I'm in!!!!

RacerChick56k
04-02-2006, 07:01 PM
It's a good idea he came up with, and this would make it easier on all of us. I'm in for it too!

RSP
04-02-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm all for this. I was part of the pack of speeding cars that was headed for the flagger and by the time I knew what was going on I wrecked the radiator on my car. It would be nice to have an insight on what was going on before I got there and it was too late. Great Idea!!! :) :) :)

spier racing 93
04-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Yeah, sounds like a good idea, or ya could just put a gate on the flagging stand so the flagger doesn't jump out on the track...sorry Matt, but that was a dumb move.

W. J.
04-02-2006, 07:48 PM
So, actually paying attention to the GREEN, YELLOW, and RED lights around the track would no longer be necessary??? That's where the real problem seems to be.

spier racing 93
04-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Most people don't pay attention to the lights anyway, everyone always looks for the flags...but ya don't have to jump onto the track in front of cars to get them to see...

W. J.
04-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Most people don't pay attention to the lights anyway, everyone always looks for the flags...but ya don't have to jump onto the track in front of cars to get them to see...

I agree with you.

pappywrench
04-02-2006, 08:48 PM
RADIOS, Yeah I like the idea, but I'm a realist and know it will not happen. It took a year and a half to get everyone to get a $15 dollar window net, imagine trying to get them to fork out $90 for a radio.

enduro13x
04-02-2006, 09:20 PM
I would rather pay $90 for a scanner than hundreds of dollars to fix something that happened in an accident because I was unaware of what was happening on the racetrack.

wayne
04-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Jumping on to the track in front of a pack of running cars!!! One of the dumbest things I have ever seen in my entire life. He's lucky to still be alive.

pitbull113
04-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Jumping on to the track in front of a pack of running cars!!! One of the dumbest things I have ever seen in my entire life. He's lucky to still be alive Lucky no one got hurt in the melee that ensued after his bone headed move.

sk8077
04-02-2006, 10:09 PM
I agree with the scanner idea. I've seen them for as low as 60.00 for a 10 channel 1 way.
As for the flagman, maybe get one of those leashes that parents use on kids to tether him to the flagstand. In all my years of racing that was one ofthe dumbest moves that I have ever seen.

EnduroFromDE
04-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Well, on the plus side, if he can dodge 20 something monte's and buicks going 40 mph, just imagine, he could be a hell of a dodge ball player. :lol:

Lad3der
04-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Yeah, the scanners would work, we tried this in the start of Neets and it was more of a hassle.
As far as the drivers go, they need to pay attention to the lights and me, the flagger, neither of which came out. I do agree it was a stupid idea to jump on the track, but I figured they would notice that and they weren't going that fast yet so, that's why I did it. I wasn't really thinking, but we can try the scanner idea again to see if it could work.

EnduroFromDE
04-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Does anyone know how much it would cost to get them little red or yellow lights to mount on the dash of our cars that will turn on if the track lights go on? I notice they do that on indy cars and the lower ranked racing like Hooters pro cup and the Mods. The drivers would have to rent them race to race along with the transponders for a small fee of $5 or $10. Just another idea being thrown on the table.

W. J.
04-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Those red and yellow lights are radio controlled, meaning each car would need a radio receiver and other electroninc equipment for them to work. Scanners would be cheaper, paying attention costs NOTHING, but the result of doing so is PRICELESS!

racenut38
04-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Scanners would be great, but don't make them mandatory. Hey Mat, don't forget, you're not Superman, lol.

ststock23
04-03-2006, 07:25 PM
How about a strong enforcement of the no passing once the red/yellow comes out. Start penalizing the "not paying attention" drivers a lap for each car they pass. Of course there would have to be some subjectivity to it. Don't want everyone locking them up when the red comes out, just don't pass anyone.

NJ Chick
04-03-2006, 08:50 PM
ststock23, when the red flies, everyone that is in the tower (registration tower) watches for anyone passing others under the red and it is written in my big purple notebook. They are then either put back to where they should be or they are penalized 3 laps for the pass. (Usually they are just put back to where they should be, if that happens, then they don't get the 3 lap penalty, it's either one way or the other, not both.) Hope that helps!
:wave:

ststock23
04-03-2006, 09:23 PM
I wasn't questioning the enforcement of the existing rule. I was suggesting a new, tougher rule. What does "putting them back in their place" accomplish, in terms of safety? It's kinda like most rule/law infractions, the weaker the penalty, the more likely the infraction. Please understand, I'm not complaining. I know the people in the tower do a great job. Everyone is talking about buying new equipment for safety. The beauty of NEETS is the low expense. If there is a way to solve the issue without expense....

W. J.
04-03-2006, 09:26 PM
If there is a way to solve the issue without expense....

EXACTLY!!! :)

J & J Racing 41
04-03-2006, 09:31 PM
The scanner idea only works if 100% of drivers have them, because cars with them would start stopping sooner than ones without. Another thing to think about is what if the guys at the front of the pack had been looking in their mirror when Matt jumped out. There could have very well hit him. I don't see the need for mirrors in these cars, and 100% of focus should be out the front window. Just my 41 cents worth .....

SLYFOX26
04-03-2006, 11:41 PM
The scanners will also aid in lining the cars up, warning drivers that are rough riding. The biggest thing would be everyone would know there is a red flag, so there would be no excuse for any cars going a half lap or more when the red came out, or getting blasted from behind because some one didn't see it.

enduroracer131
04-04-2006, 12:47 AM
Anyone can pick up a cheap scanner at Walmart, Radio Shack, or my favorite, EBAY. On EBAY, you can find them from $15 and up.

rpkulik
04-04-2006, 12:35 PM
More money, another thing to break/fail, another tech item; sounds like a lot for something that hasn't worked before and has little chance of working this time.

danielleallen89
04-05-2006, 01:10 AM
Well, jumping out on the track, for one, definitely wasn't too smart of an idea. No matter what. The whole lights thing. It's not too easy to see those lights when the sun is glaring. The flags are there to be waved around to get your attention. It's not like we're driving on a highway paying attention to the traffic lights. I think scanners would be a big help, but not everyone has the cash for them. :confused:

Phil Levering
04-05-2006, 10:18 PM
I am not quite sure how a racer can be unaware on the track!

If you want to see the checkered flag at the end, you HAVE to be totally aware of what's happening all around you.

Phil Levering 20 year Enduro veteran