PDA

View Full Version : Opening day...

BlingxBling
04-09-2006, 10:18 PM
The 2006 racing season has begun!! The sun was shining, the temperatures were near 60°, and a full field of modifieds has shown up for the opener at Mountain Speedway. I had my fingers crossed as I pulled into the parking lot, as I had brought my dad with me. He has not been to the track since Joe Callivini took over as promoter.

The street stocks were the first on the agenda. Only two heat races were necessary for qualifying. As last years biggest and most competitive division, I was slightly surprised to see a lack of cars this year in the division. Brad Kline showed that he was no newcomer, as he took not only the win in his heat race, but also dominated during the feature event. Todd "Hollywood" Geist showed heavy pressure eariler on in the main event, but didn't have what it takes to be in the first place position when the checkered flew. Paul Frantz ran a solid race, while Bill Vanderveen was moving quickly through the pack, both drivers showing promise for additional competition throughout the year. Rodney Gruber, Glen Heckman, Chip Wanamaker, and Robert Fink also adding to the field for exciting racing. Long Islander Jimmy White Jr, in the 19x, making his debut in a street stock, kept up with the pack. Within a few more races, I have no doubt we'll see this young man running up in the top. Eric Danyluk back behind the wheel, after missing part of last season. He, too, will be on the heels of the leaders in races to come.

Larry Fisher took the feature win for the late models. As I participate as a spectator at both MVS and MS, I would have thought Mike Sweeney in D11 would have been the one to give Larry a run for his money. Joe Hoffman gave it a shot earlier on in the feature, but failed as he took a spin going into turn 1. Mike Coll ended up being the one in the end to make it exciting, shooting to the inside of Fisher during the final laps, but he too was unsuccessful in passing Fisher. Jim Lamoreaux held steady through out the race in his beautiful # 37 and finished the night in third place.

The Mighty Modifieds rolled out for their 30 lap main event. I am not sure who was scheduled to be on the pole, but it appeared to be the #8 of Earl Paules as the cars warmed up, but when the green dropped it was Donny Wagner in the grocery getter looking # 22. His attempt at the win had soon come to an end when Pistol Pete Brittain, driving what appeared to be the car Tony Hanbury put in victory lane at last years KOTM, flew past him as if he were standing still. A multitude of cautions took place in the first couple of laps that eliminated many cars. No one challenged Brittain through out the race. The remainder of the pack raced for position as Zane Zeiner, young gun Kory Rabenold, John Swartout, and last year's Modified Champion, Brian Defebo, finished in the top 5. Some of the other drivers that were in attendance were Amanda Sesley in the Troxell #48, Ryan Russo, Lou Strohl driving the #43 Breiner machine, Eddie Brunnhoelzl III, Tony Hanbury, John Markovic, Alan Decker, Marisa Niederauer, Andy Walko, Bobby Jones, Tim Santee, Matt Clemmens, and Ernie Dengler. 24 modifieds total had shown up, 20 qualified. An upsetting way to start the racing season, as Ryan Preece, Chaz Serman, Steve Reed, and Rodney Gruber didn't make the main event.

The Thrillers came out and put on a pretty exciting show. The 17 car field started with Bill Price Jr on the pole. Price didn't have it easy for the 20 lap event. Shaun Burd applied pressure from the high side, from the low side, and from behind throughout the entire race. Steve Hoffman was right there looking for the two to make a mistake which he could capitalize on. A heavily smoking Derek Kline also added to the competition. When the checkered flew, Price was the first to collect it, while Burd settled for second Skelly, Hoffman, and Kline finished out the top 5. While Uncle Petey finished right outside of the top 5 for a respected 6th place and Josh Oswald close behind for a 7th place. Howie Bott was collected in an incident early on in the race that caused him to retire early. Even though he wasn't a lead car, it was good to see TJ Rentschler back to racing. It was always a fun time watching him run the DA's down at MVS.

The final division to take to the track was the 4cyl thrillers. Harry Sagar, driving a car very similar to the car that was crushed in the car crusher back in November, after he won the NEETS Mutha Enduro Race, was on the pole. When the green flew, he was quickly out front, but not by himself. Bob 'maddawg' Wink was quick on his tail. Several times through out the race, he dove to the inside line, giving some heavy competition for the entire race. On the final lap, a lapped car came to the rescue of Harry Sagar, which eliminated any chances of the 57 of Wink from challenging him going into turns one and two. Sagar put a car length in between him and Wink as he took the final turn to take the checkered. Chris Meeker, Travis Fisher and Jamie Damon finished out the top 5.

Today was a great day of racing. The car counts were decent, the crowd was a healthy size. I think with the exception of a few jump starts, Dennis did good as the head flagman. Very clear and visible directions to the drivers as to when the green would be coming out, when to double up. The clean up crew was on the ball in the event of rocks or rubble on the track. No long delays for drivers who are insisiting they should be in a different position than an official tells them. In fact, I don't recall any delays. The food line moved quickly. I would also like to say that the program book is HOT!! Good job Joan. So I would have to say two thumbs up to Mountain Speedway on a fantastic start to 2006!

ps. Gino, we will have to work on you talking a little bit louder, or perhaps turning up the volume on the speakers. I had a very hard time hearing you today. I was taking guesses at who was driving the 71 modified until he pulled into victory lane.

richardpetey
04-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Your gett'en pretty good at this reporting stuff............ :applause:
Their gonna have to get you up in the booth with Geno...................... :cool:
UNCLE PETEY....................... :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: