PDA

View Full Version : mechanical help

RacinRob
04-15-2006, 05:04 PM
I have a 85 s-10 truck.......changed plugs, wires, rotor, distributor cap. When I got the truck it ran fine. I drove it off the tow truck and all. It was sitting running at an idle for about 15 minutes, then it just shut off. That's why I did the full tune and all. Thought maybe it ran out of gas and that still wasn't the problem. After changing all the plugs, wires, distributor cap and all, it starts, idles rough for 10 seconds, than dies out again. Was wondering if somebody could help me out and tell me what the problem could be? I'm thinking timing. I made sure all plugs are hooked up right, so I'm assuming timing. Please help, the season is near! Thanks in advance.

p.s Could it be the ignition coil?

racing#s
04-15-2006, 05:51 PM
Have you checked for spark ? Make sure you're getting spark to the plugs. Make sure your getting fuel to the cylinders. Sometimes if the fuel pump goes it will only send a burst of fuel then shut down.

W. J.
04-15-2006, 07:35 PM
If it has an electric fuel pump, check the fuel pump relay. I had the same problem with my RV (a Ford) a few years ago, and that's what it turned out to be.
It seems that what happens is fuel is momentarily siphoned in, but when it has to run fast or more than a few seconds, the siphon lets go = no fuel to carb/injectors, and it stalls. Good luck.

WEEZER
04-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Also add some fuel treatment to the gas in the event that there is water in the fuel and also check the fuel filter (could be clogged). If it starts and runs, even for 10 seconds, then you know you have spark, like WJ says, if the relay shuts down after it gets hot, that too could be a problem. See if there is another relay that's the same and swap it with the fuel pump relay, if the trucks runs then you've found your fault. Remember to always go the cheapest and easiest route first. Don't spent anymore money on parts until you've gotten some more feed back, also, if you know somebody with a fuel pressure gauge, hook it up and watch the psi while it's running and when it stalls.
Wish Racin Rich was here, the f@cking thing would be running by now.

CIN
04-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Rob,
Tell you what, give me a call at the shop on Monday and I'll have James talk to you about what might be the problem. We can go from there. Even though Rich is not around, I'm still here to try to help any of you. We'll get to the bottom of this. I know that is what he would have wanted. The shop number is 631-654-5931. We usually take breakfast around 10am and lunch about 2:30pm. That would be the best times.

Cin

RacinRob
04-15-2006, 11:10 PM
Thank you so much everybody. CIN its funny, I was on the phone with Steve Elicati for about fourty five minutes and I was saying to him that when I usually had these problems, I would ask Rich. So it's so kind and generous of you to offer me the helping hand. If I don't getting it running by Monday, I will definitely be calling the shop. Once again, thanks a MILLION!(everybody). Any more ideas, keep them coming.

RacinRob
04-15-2006, 11:19 PM
Oh yeah, and one more question? I'm sure I'll find it easily, but by any chance does anybody know off hand where the fuel filter is on the s-10?

jimmy'z
04-16-2006, 06:36 AM
I think it's right inside the frame rail, by the driver's side door...almost positive.

tstiles
04-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Yes it is in the frame rail. Be careful not to damage the lines when loosening it.