PDA

View Full Version : Carburetor Problems

RebelMtrspts29
04-16-2006, 10:52 PM
I have a different carburetor than I ran last year in the Grand Enduros. Another driver/car used this same carburetor and had no problems. The car idles smooth as can be, and can be slowly brought to high RPM. When the throttle is mashed, the carburetor stumbles, and breaks up, but regains itself a little while after.
This is the same problem I had with the carburetor from last year, which was a computer controlled carburetor. I had removed the computer, and ran it as a mechanical carburetor.
The only vacuum line I have attached is for the power boost. This is a pre-computer Rochester Quadrajet, and there is no choke on this carburetor. I am guessing that it has something to do with a vacuum advance on the distributor??? I don't have any vacuum line on the distributor where the vacuum port is. I'm out of guesses.
Any ideas out there of what could be happening.

CIN
04-17-2006, 07:07 AM
Brian,
I was just checking out the new issue of Circle Track this morning. There just happens to be an article on Carbs in there. I'm not sure it will help with what your problem is.
Wish I had paid attention when Rich tried to teach me Carbs.
I'll look around the shop and house to see if I still have the books on Carbs.
Cin

WEEZER
04-17-2006, 10:23 PM
What type of fuel pump do you have and is this a 4bb or 2bb? How is the timing, and are the lifters and valves in good shape, or do they have some miles on them.
If the valves are floating under heavy rpm, it'll cause a misfire or poor running. If it's a 4bb and the secondaries aren't opening, it could be dumping too much fuel in .

VNYLGRFX
04-18-2006, 08:49 PM
If you are asking about a Q-jet

Check to see if the secondaries are too loose? They might work fine
on one car and not an other.. Because of Timing, cam (etc), You might have to tighten them up. :cool:

RebelMtrspts29
04-18-2006, 11:15 PM
I got it all figured out at around 10:30pm this evening...im sure the neighbors loved the noise!!!

Brian #29