PDA

View Full Version : Questions I have after the "Food" thread.

btgoss
04-17-2006, 08:44 PM
We have made and or read the comments in the food thread, and it got me thinking. I have a number of assumptions that just might be wrong about how things are done at Riverhead (and many other tracks) and I was hoping that someone might be able to give me a real answer.
First, I had thought Riverhead was making a large part of its money from the back gate. Someone had told me this, or perhaps I read it somewhere, but it made sense. With Riverhead regularly drawing well over 100 cars it actually made sense that this might be the case. When combined with the fact that the actual front gate crowd has been in decline, while stock car racing in general has been on the upswing, it really seemed like that I had heard the truth. So I have always seen the raise in ticket prices and food prices as a way of earning a profit from the business. The back gate covers the day to day costs, and the front gate covers the profit. This also plays it why I thought the track had given up some of its “real” racing dates to have room for the twice monthly enduro/spectator drag/truck shows. (Again, not to bash those shows, but I would think those are fairly low-cost shows to run, with what might be the larger crowd, although those have gone down in recent years from what I have heard as well.)
So, do I have it all wrong? Would there be anyone who knows for certain that this is either right or wrong. I don’t think we need any speculation, although that does make for excellent forum discussion, but some real answers would be great.
Obviously a business doesn’t normally share that much information with it’s customers, but in many respects the Cromarty’s are like the Steinbrenner’s, in that I really feel that while they own the track, they do have to answer to the fans, at least in some respects. I know that the General Steinbrenner doesn’t answer to the fans on every issue, but we know how many people come through the gates, and what his deals are worth, we see the cost of the players. So we can see where our money is spent. It is his team, but in many respects he has to run it as a public trust, and I know that many of us feel that Riverhead should be run in the same way.

LongIslandJam
04-18-2006, 02:40 AM
What you ascertain Brian is correct,

Riverhead is not the only guilty party, as nearly every track I've been to is guilty. Even the New England tracks; as you may have noticed that they are starting to add more divisions. This isn't just for the sake of having more races during a given night...

This is why it's important to have good car counts to break even, and then the concessions will provide the gravy to cover any other expenses and earn, hopefully, a modest profit.

allhailunc
04-18-2006, 05:35 AM
Only problem is that that "gravy" has lumps in it. :lol:

W. J.
04-18-2006, 12:58 PM
I've bounced this whole concept off some people I know who regularly bring sandwiches with them for 'dinner' at the track. I'm getting negative feedback from all of them. These are not occasional visitors, but weekly, hardcore fans. I think the point to be realized here is that you can't sell ANYTHING to someone who just plain doesn't show up! I hope this whole concept gets a thorough review sometime real soon.

allhailunc
04-18-2006, 02:25 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause: Well said, Walt. I for one (along with Jones) am one of those who have been doing it that way for years. I really hope that the whole thing is carefully thought over. The season begins in less than a month. Let's see what is/isn't the final word. :disgusted

Rich Mergl
04-18-2006, 05:17 PM
I would no longer make 90% of the races. I'm thinking Mod double point races, Baldwin Memorial, and one Tour Race, that's about it, if no changes are made with the food policy.

fisherman
04-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Hey guys, the rules have been changin the last 5 years. At least when I go on my boat, I eat whatever we want to and no bs from the head. Good luck, they want no body in the stands. Look at all the true regulars that have left in the last 5 years. Figure at least 200 per year. So times that by $25 a head. That's how much they want the food to pay for. :mad: :mad: :cool: :wave: :applause: :) :) :-B :cool: :cool:

W. J.
04-18-2006, 06:48 PM
At least when I go on my boat, I eat whatever we want to and no bs from the head.

Whatever would Riverhead have to do with what you do on your own boat??? I don't get the analogy at all.

allhailunc
04-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Methinks what he is saying that when he does something he likes to do (go on his boat) he can eat what he wants to, or am I incorrect fisherman? :) I'll bring that bait. :applause:

RGeeProductions
04-18-2006, 08:26 PM
It's the "head" reference.....

N.Y. racing
04-19-2006, 01:54 AM
I think the best idea that I've seen on here so far in the food topic is someone (cant recall who) said that Riverhead Raceway should rent out the food booths to some well known (and liked) food businesses, such as Pizza Hut or McDonalds, a variety of things. I think this would bring in the revenue that the Cromarty's want/need and it would make the fans extra happy, at least if we have to eat there, we can enjoy good food that we all enjoy. I hope someone relays this idea to them, because I believe it will be best for the track as a whole.

I have been to several tracks before that do this and all the fans are happy with it, not to mention the bleachers are packed.

allhailunc
04-20-2006, 05:13 AM
I guess the closing of the original thread shows that there is little more to say in favor of the policy. Just a shame that, more than likely, this will not change. Maybe it will effect attendance of the regulars-maybe not-time will tell-I know 2 that have other plans already working. :rolleyes:

W. J.
04-20-2006, 09:28 AM
I guess the closing of the original thread shows that there is little more to say in favor of the policy.

If you read JA's closing statement, it says all that can be said, either way, has been written. Now, time will give us an answer about how this will turn out. Beating a dead horse will not get it to move.

We are still open to construcitve ideas that people have. No need to announce further plans of any individuals. Everyone will do what's right for them.

maestri fan 1
04-20-2006, 11:48 AM
The only question I have is, why is it that no one from Riverhead has come on to the forum to answer all of our questions?

W. J.
04-20-2006, 11:51 AM
It's just something they don't usually do. All your questions will be anwered opening day, or you can find someone at the open practice sessions and ask them directly.

LongIslandJam
04-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Riverhead will not officially answer any questions in a public forum. If they answer any questions it will be one-on-one or via press release.

allhailunc
04-21-2006, 05:14 AM
True there, Walter. They already have to me in an official e mail answer. Not happy, but it's their ball and they make the rules. :(

art11758
04-21-2006, 09:45 AM
I've got to ask though, if no outside food or drink is allowed, why are there coolers allowed? I mean complete with dimensions and construction specs. Just for ice or am I missing something here?? I think there is a piece to the whole situation I am not seeing or understanding. Granted it would not be the first time, I know......

W. J.
04-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Maybe so you can bring in a... cold rag to wipe off sweat on hot nights...dry ice and a battery operated fan to cool you off on hot nights...or just something to sit on in those dangerous seating areas near the fence in turn 2.... :confused:

allhailunc
04-21-2006, 11:24 AM
More likely to hold yer binoculars & all the racing magazines you can buy.

fisherman
04-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Check out Rverhead's website, updated for the 1st time in years. No coolers allowed, just a bag. :mad: :mad: :applause: :applause: :wave: :wave: :lol: :lol:

Jones44
04-22-2006, 06:04 PM
well in that case what about a 'cooler-bag" :disgusted

allhailunc
04-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Blame me, not Jones, for that last post (forgot to log out/in).

Rich Mergl
04-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Just got off the phone with Stafford Springs Raceway which is were we are going Sunday. What ever food you can fit in a 6X6X12 Softsided Cooler Bag.
Juice Boxes, Plastic Bottles,Snacks (including Sandwiches) NOOoo Alcohol.
You can leave and reenter the track as often as you want. YOUR HAND MUST BE STAMPED BEFORE LEAVING THE TRACK TO REENTER.

If anyone doubts me call 4Yourself (1-860-684-2783)

allhailunc
04-26-2006, 04:33 PM
good one Rich.thanks for that info,.seems that a couple of others i contacted have the same basic policy