PDA

View Full Version : fuel problem

RacinRob
04-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Since last time i posted I have made some progress. I ruled out an ignition problem (spark). Have a great spark. So I then turned to fuel. Figured start at the cheapest route first, right? Wrong... changed the fuel filter which was no fun becuase it was right under the power steering pump. Very restricted area to work in. I must say after I changed the filter, I got the thing running for a few seceonds at a time. Before the filter change I just had the thing turning and turning with no start. Now it starts and will stay running when I hit the gas pedal and rev it up. But it won't idle and stay running. So should my next step be to drop the tank and change the pump?? Need to know soon because season is creeping up on me. So please, if you guys have the time, drop some advice on the ROOKIE lol. Thanks everyone so much for the help so far.

racing#s
04-18-2006, 06:37 PM
I had a similar situation and it was bad, or poor quality gas. If the gas sits in the tank for a period of time, it picks up condensation (water builds up and accumulates inside the tank). In addition, gas will weaken if 'stabil' or a gas additive isn't added to it if it's sitting for a while. Take a gas sample, see if it smells potent & has a nice goldish appearance. I wouldn't rush to change the pump. There's a way to test it first, I'm not sure how but it's supposed to pump a certain amount of gas in a certain amount of time.

W. J.
04-18-2006, 06:58 PM
To test the pump (rather than remove the tank), go back to the gas filter. Remove the line you took off before, put a pan under it to catch the gas, and crank the starter for about 10 seconds, then see if you've moved any gas that way. If you have, the problem is somewhere forward of that point. My guess after that would be fuel line or exit side (*) of gas filter mount. Check both. If the line into the carburetor isn't putting out gas the same as you saw in the pump test, check the outlet side of the fule filter next (only recommend this as 2nds step since it's in an awkward area to work). Good luck.

* Even though you changed the filter, there is a path out after that to the fuel line and it might have a clog.

RacinRob
04-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Ok, so take the line off the bottom of the filter? Is that correct? Then crank it for about 10 seconds and see what kind of flow I get?

RebelMtrspts29
04-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Is this fuel injected? Electric or mechanical fuel pump? Also, silly question, but have you checked the air intake? Sounds like possible air restriction.

W. J.
04-19-2006, 10:09 AM
RacinRob, your response shows you do understand the procedure. Give it a try, and I hope that isolates the problem.

tstiles
04-19-2006, 08:18 PM
I will share something that I dealt with once. I had a great running truck, put it away for the winter, came back to a no start........ hmmmm? It cranked and cranked, but no start, but it was not cranking hard enough. Evidently, the battery was weak. The computer in the s10 I guess needs a strong12 volts, and not just a so, so 12 volts. After I changed the battery, I never had a problem again. It would only run with the charger on it.
I know it sounds silly, but I'm telling you, it's true. It cranked, but not good enough.

hey, you never know.

Gravel
04-19-2006, 09:49 PM
This is true. A electronic ignition system needs 12 volts to run. Also, if this is a throttle body, the sensor could be bad.