PDA

View Full Version : welding

RacinRob
04-19-2006, 06:41 PM
If I pay welding insurance at the track, will they weld my doors shut for me?

pitbull113
04-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Yes. Get the welding insurance every race, it's well worth it.

RacinRob
04-19-2006, 07:33 PM
how much is welding insurance this year?

W. J.
04-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Probably the same as last, $10.

N.Y. racing
04-20-2006, 04:21 AM
Is it dumb to ask what welding insurance actually is???

LongIslandJam
04-20-2006, 07:10 AM
The question never asked is the dumb question...

Welding Insurance basically covers you in the case you need welding. For a regular Saturday night racer this is awesome as if you get damaged in practice or heats, Sonny and Iron Man Welding will get you fixed right away with quick and professional service.

For the Enduros the same service applies basically. You pay your welding insurance, your services are covered for the day.

Its good stuff... Highly recommended!

art11758
04-20-2006, 08:18 AM
Just a point of reference. If you are going to need any extra material for the job at hand, say a piece of flat stock for the aforementioned door weld job, bring it with you. If the welder has to supply it expect to pay for it. It's only a few dollars to get what you need and saves the possible dissapointment of if you are the fifth door weld job of the day and materials are in short supply or nonexistant.

RacinRob
04-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Thanx Art, I'll keep that in mind. What should I bring with me then?

art11758
04-20-2006, 04:25 PM
For your doors, 4 pieces of .125 cold rolled, say 4 inches by six inches. Any flat stock should work though. Find a fab shop and ask to pick thru the scrap barrel. Or try a recycler, although some don't sell. To buy from a supplier is an option too, but it's the most expensive way to go.

RGeeProductions
04-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Keep in mind, the welder is not a chassis fabricator. He is there in case something happens during the night not to build parts for your cars. In other words, he is not going to weld doors shut, weld plates in, cut hole in hood , etc etc, things YOU should have done before hand.

DAN D.
04-20-2006, 11:48 PM
or should it be Weld Said?...lol If time permits, Sonny could weld some doors shut, only if time permits, and for a PROFESSIONAL, that Sonny is, with a ton of years experience. He should get paid what he asks for, which is not part of welding insurance. Sonny has always been MORE than fair with any extra welding needed that was beyond the Emergency welding/cutting insurance.

pitbull113
04-21-2006, 12:32 PM
I don't know what goes on Saturday nights, but during the enduros the welding insurance is there to insure you can pass pre-race tech. We only get one time out on the track, so we don't need anybody to fix the cars after a race so we can get back out there. If you need doors or your sunroof welded, or anything else, thats what he is there to do. He has welded this and more for me in the past and never charged a thing, except a few dollars for materials.

W. J.
04-21-2006, 06:40 PM
I might add here you couldn't find a nicer, more helpful guy than Sonny and his crew. He's been around racing forever, and hopefully will be around for years to come.