PDA

View Full Version : Brooklyn & Racing

LongIslandJam
04-25-2006, 08:01 PM
http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4816160&nav=menu36_2

Mod134
04-26-2006, 01:09 AM
Here is a link to another article: NY Daily News Article (http://www.nydailynews.com/04-25-2006/news/story/411831p-348334c.html)

This is an interesting development. Hopefully the NIMBY's will lighten up on auto racing and NYC. :mad: If the Staten Island track comes to fruition, the NYGP will be an interesting precursor if it happens.

I see some positives here: benefits to charities - Something that Paul Newman has been well-known for for his camps for children , the hole in the wall gang camps, his brand of salad dressings, etc. He has been a partner in the Newman-Haas racing team that has had a lot of great drivers over the year - Andretti, Mansel, DeMatta, Bourdais, etc. He also has worked on the proposal to bring Champ Car to Philadelphia. :applause:

New York City - America's largest city - has a long history with auto racing dating back to the early 1900s. Most recently, the Big Apple almost hosted an F1 race around the World Trade Center in the early 1990s, w/ Marlboro support. Since that event dissolved, F1 and Champ Car have both tried to run races in NYC. I think the most recent was F1 and Flushing Meadows, if my memory serves me correctly.

I've also included a link to the initial track layout.

LongIslandJam
04-26-2006, 07:07 AM
Track has nice hairpins...

If Newman could get this passed (and I feel only someone like Newman could do this), then it would be a huge shot in the arm for all racing around the NYC area. He's got some huge hurdles to do this, but if it happens, I'm all for it!

Mod134
04-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Yes he has a lot of hurdles to jump to make this happen. Between the environmentalists, the politicians with their own vested interests, folks that don't care or understand racing, etc. it is going to be very interesting. Correct me if Im wrong on this, but the last I heard, Mayor Bloomberg is supporting the Staten Island effort, I wonder if he will do the same for Champ Car and this airport race proposal.