PDA

View Full Version : A Figure Eight Vacation

DOR 58 FIGURE 8
05-01-2006, 10:37 PM
How many of you want to go on a nice little vacation this summer, but not sure where to go? How many would like to take their racecars? How many people like to go on vacation and come home with some kind of money, even if it's just enought to pay for your gas? I know you had to say YES to something. Well, I have the vacation for you...
The week we are off from Riverhead, July 8th, Black Rock Speedway upstate N.Y. would like to have ALL the Figure Eight Cars at their track and show them how we race Figure Eights.
The track is paying $100 per car, as well as kicking back the ENTIRE back gate admission to us. They told us that they could only give us $100 per car because they were only charging $1.00, yes One Dollar, to get in the front gate. So S.A.F.E.R. is looking to obtain sponsorship to help make this trip financially feasible, as well as collecting lap money at $25 per lap. Anyone wanting to sponsor a lap, or two can see me. I will be working on getting a sponsor for the race and selling laps. We will double sell laps if we can, to get more money. Everyone will get the same amount of money as a payoff, first and last and everyone in between. Why? Because this will be like an exhibition race, once they see what kind of show we can put on, they will want us to come back and be willing to pay more. We are looking at a minimum of $200-250 plus, plus back gate money, for everyone who goes. As of right now we have 11 laps sold and growing.
Now that sounds like any racers kind of vacation. Really, think about it, your little vacation is somewhat kinda paid for or close to it. Kids over 12 (I think it's 12) are allowed in the pits.
So who is interested???? We need a mininum of 10 cars. If you're not going, that could only hurt the rest of they guys who want to go. So think about it and if you have something else to do, try to change those plans, and go on a racing vacation!!

Also, all race sponsors would have preferred seating in one of the VIP Suites.

Jaws
05-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Isn't Black Rock a dirt track?

LongIslandJam
05-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Indeed Jaws!

Mike Fields
05-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Actually, it's clay.

The Figure Eight track is under construction, and will be completed well before the scheduled race.

To view photos of the construction, track, and VIP Suites, logon to www.safer8.com. As we get more photos sent to us from Black Rock, we'll make sure to post them.

I'm not one to do a lot of plugs on here; however, I'd like to thank our list of current lap sponsors---

Lap # Sponsor

1 Oval Speed Unlimited
2 Blast-It Sandblasting
3 JYD Hoosier Tire
4 'The Ax' Carl Baxter
5 K&K Enterprises - All junk vehicles wanted
6 Karen & Ricky Miller
7 Paul, Karen, & Michael Specht
8 Good luck Kenny! - Love from Kenny & Kimmy
9 Joe Larson - In memory of John Kraft
10 In memory of Maryann Sprague
11 www.LongIslandJam.com
12 J&J Auto Body
13 Mike' Auto Service of Quogue
14 Rainbow International Cleaning & Restoration
15 Insula Dome Skylights & Eastport Feeds
16 RGee Pro
17 Stuff A Bagel
18 Not Just Ice Cream
19 Blast-It Sandblasting
20 Bob Finan & Riverhead Raceway
21 www.TimothyHalpin.com
22 www.IslandMovingSupplies.com
23 Program Dynamics Inc.
24 Sunoco Race Fuels
25 Victory Fleet Maintenance

To buy a lap (or two, three, four, etc.), shoot an e-mail to either Dorothea or myself.

End of plug. Ain't gonna make a habit of it.

LongIslandJam
05-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Hey Mike,

If you're going to plug this on the Jam, why don't you mention our sponsorship??? :confused:

W. J.
05-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Hey Mike, if you fall down in CLAY, do you get DIRTy? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike Fields
05-02-2006, 09:11 PM
JA, it's simple; Of course I added it. But I first wanted to see if you'd notice after I did the (shameless) plug! hehehehe

WJ, I have no idea. But I don't think I'll get dirty if I fall in the pressbox!

One thing I didn't say in the original post is to thank the sponsors that we have so far. All of your participation is very much appreciated!

unowho243
05-02-2006, 10:39 PM
that track looks small and how are the asphalt cars going to handle on that dirt?

Mike Fields
05-03-2006, 06:43 AM
Ken Hyde told me that since it's a separate track, that's obviously smaller than the one they thought they were running on, they wouldn't have to change the gearing on the cars.

How will the asphalt guys handle the dirt? I suggest investing in Wet-Naps! :lol:

art11758
05-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Dorsey (Md.)was dirt/clay and the transition wasn't that difficult IIRC. Those guys used to come to Islip and were fast. (Sonny Eaton in particular) I'm pretty sure Roger Maynor ran at Dorsey and I think Joe Biondililo Jr. won there. (Got to pose with the "Dorsey Dolls" in Victory Lane and everything) So IMHO it shouldn't be too much trouble. Plus you will all be on equal footing more or less.

Tower Man
05-05-2006, 03:18 PM
I believe Tommy Ryan won that race.

Mike Fields
05-05-2006, 08:34 PM
I've updated the lap sponsors above to reflect the additions as of today. It's easier to update than to retype the entire post. Again, thanks to all who have bought a lap. Anyone that would like to be a race sponsor can contact either Dorothea or myself.

Mike Fields
05-07-2006, 12:56 AM
After only trying on one warmup day and Opening Day, we now have 22 of the 25 available laps sold, with three laps remaining. To help us fill up those three laps, please send an e-mail to me to reserve one (or more) of those laps to liracenews@hotmail.com.

The list of lap sponsors further up on this thread has been updated.

Jaws
05-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Not to be negative, but, if Riverhead only had 12 cars start the feature on their home track how are they going to get any cars to travel to Black Rock???

Mike Fields
05-07-2006, 11:53 AM
There are drivers that have commited to run at Black Rock, including Joe Saraceno. We already have 8 drivers who have commited to going. You're not being negative; it's a valid concern that we all have.

BTW, how can we talk you into buying a lap, Jaws? LOL

Jaws
05-07-2006, 07:05 PM
How much per?

Mike Fields
05-07-2006, 07:42 PM
$25 per lap, which will pay for part of somebody's tolls with the car hauler!

Mike Fields
05-09-2006, 09:34 AM
I'd like to thank everyone that stepped forward to commit to buying laps for SAFER's 25-lapper at Black Rock Speedway. The list is now filled up. If you look back at page one of this post, it's been edited to reflect all of our sponsors.

AJ17x55
05-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Black Rock is a great track and is very similar to Riverhead with slightly smaller banking and larger corners. Inside walls were installed within last couple of years too. The blue clay is very thick as well. The cars get a lot of bite. used to go when i went to college up there. Great prices, great food, and the place, when I went under different ownership, seemed to be run very well. It is in the middle of nowhere, but it is definitely worth the trip.

btgoss
05-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Seriously tho'... I think it is great the Figure 8 guys are branching out... almost a full days travel for a race on a dirt track... not so much... but I honestly wish I could go, it is going to be something to see... hopefully there will be a nice car turnout, and I would hope that SAFER is going to run this one like a World Championship and open up the rules a bit and see if any local guys bring their DIRT prostocks out (which I think aren't too different from a Figure 8 car... but obviously someone who actually knows could please feel free to correct me._

W. J.
05-09-2006, 08:05 PM
I don't know exactly, but I do believe a dirt prostock is very much like the Fig 8 cars, at least the dirt prostocks I've seen run at upstate tracks. Great idea, bt.

LongIslandJam
05-09-2006, 08:11 PM
One thing I believe is different with a DIRT Pro Stock is they got some major horsepower while a Figure 8 only has modest horsepower. That's an issue of concern...

W. J.
05-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Ah, that may be so, but do they have what it takes to race through the X, LOL??!!

Mike Fields
05-10-2006, 06:43 AM
As far as I know, this race will be run under current Riverhead Raceway rules. The only change allowed so far is that drivers may switch to a dirt tire that is sold at Black Rock. However, many drivers have told me that they are planning on running tires from JYD Hoosier Tire and grooving it themselves.

Any other changes would have to be approved by S.A.F.E.R.--- not the track. Realize that the purse and all funds collected will be equally shared between all drivers.