PDA

View Full Version : Thriller driver in hospital...

NEETS-1
05-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Shaun Burd, driver of the #17 Thriller, was badly burned today at his work place. I received a phone call about this and do not want to print hearsay. I will post any news as I hear it.
If anyone else has first hand info feel free to post here.
(Hope ya get better soon "Wallbanger")

EricaR
05-05-2006, 11:06 AM
I just wanted to update you all. We received some information from Mike Odwazny, who went to the hospital to see Shaun. Apparently, he was working with a parts washer and the chemicals inside hit the pilot light while Shaun was standing next to it. He was life flighted to Lehigh Valley medical Center in Allentown. He was put into a medically induced coma for 48 hours. During that time, he was to be put in a gel bath to remove the skin that was burned. He has third degree burns on 25% of his body, mostly his face, neck and chest area. The doctors have said that he will remain in the hospital for at least 3 weeks. But he will make it through, as far as we are aware at this point. PLEASE, PLEASE keep him in your thoughts and prayers, as he has a long, hard, painful road ahead of him. As soon as I can get any more information, I will post it, as well as an address where cards can be sent, as soon as Shaun is awake and beginning his journey. We are thinking of possibly doing some sort of benefit for him, as his girlfriend Kareen is now 8 months pregnant, and medical bills will more than likely be a huge issue for them in the weeks and months to come. Please keep watching for updates as I can get them!

Geno
05-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Wow, what shocking news! Thanks for keeping us updated Erica.

Thank God it wasn’t any worse. My wishes & prayers are out to Shaun for a speedy recovery.

NJ Chick
05-05-2006, 01:57 PM
We were so sorry to hear, Shaun and Kareen are great people and we'll help out in any way we can, just let us know. Thanks for the info Erica. Our thoughts and prayers are with Shaun, Kareen and the whole family.

richardpetey
05-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Isn't there ever any GOOD NEWS....................... :eek:
Get well soon Shaun, were all pulling for ya..................... :wave:
I'll be there to cheer you up as soon as they let me.......... :confused:
UNCLE PETEY........................ :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

CJfilms
05-05-2006, 03:45 PM
You'll be in our prayer always Shaun...I'm sure that hospital bed will be slammin' into the hallway walls in no time!

Keep us posted! :wave:

Lad3der
05-05-2006, 08:33 PM
I spoke to Shaun's girlfriend Kareen at around 5pm tonight she told me that he went into surgery for skin grafts at 11 am and they were waiting to hear how it went. She also told me that he will be in the burn center for at least a few weeks. If I hear anything from my uncle or her, I will post it. But I would still like to wish a buddy of mine a good speedy recovery, my thoughts are with you in this endearing time. Get well, buddy.

Geno
05-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Well, what are we waiting for; let’s do something for Shaun! First off, by the sound of it, if he is in the hospital that long, he can very well miss the birth of his child. :disgusted

Anyone have any ideas??? A benefit concert at the track (if Joe agrees) with local bands??? Charge a small cover charge to help Shaun out? Anything, something! :help:

17Racer
05-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Get well soon Shaun
Geno,
a big event like that would be a good idea. we have to do something to help them out.

2crew
05-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Shaun get well soon.

For a benefit, I will tell you guys that the band called the Poptart Monkeys will be a big, big, BIG hit in this area. They have fans that follow them everywhere. Every place they go they pack the house. If this is something that you all would like to do, let me know. I work with some of the road crew who might be able to set this up. Also, if it's possible to get a temporary license to sell booze, that is a rapid, easy return on your money with a good band. Shaun is a great guy and I will do what I can to help him out. We do block parties at the fire house and usually do a good return every year with this band and others.

here is their web site.
http://www.ptmmusic.com/

Jeff

The Frog Lady
05-06-2006, 08:16 AM
If you want to take the route of a benefit concert, my husband works with Rock Street Music and knows several bands in the area. Country music rock music, etc. I know these bands are always willing to help out with stuff like this. I would be more than happy to help out any way I can.

Shaun I hope you get well soon. Both you and Kareen are in my prayers.

Ginger, The Frog Lady

krt5199
05-06-2006, 08:56 AM
I was the one who had to break the news to Kareen on Thursday. As expected she was a wreck. I talked to her yesterday and she seems to be doing better. Shaun came out of surgery friday night at 7:15 from the skin graphs. His right hand is the worst. His Palms were hardly burned. Thank God. The graphed his arms and finger and portions of his hands, as well as some of his face. He wasn't put into a coma he was under the "anestisia" (sorry for the spelling) the doctors said that they would try to eas him out of that today. (Saturday). When i saw Shaun Thursday afternoon he still had his sense of humor. But he is really scared. He kept telling me to take care of Kareen. We all need to be there for her. I know first hand that it is scary enoguh to be a first time mom, but to boot she has to deal with this. She was to the doctor Friday and she told me that the baby is doing good. We are keeping an eye one her. Shaun is very afraid that he runied everyone's summer. I told him that it all has just begun. Summer's not hear yet. We will see him through it. As i sat with Kareen in the family room of the burn unit Thursday afternoon I was trying figure out how we were going to do this. Aamco will have to pay for Shaun's medical bills, but if anyone was ever hurt really bad you know that it doesn't go far. The helicoptor ride alone will be $5000.00. Whatever Aamco doesn't pay for Shaun is responsible for. Being out of work for A LOOOONNNNNGGGG TIME they will need help. I am sure that he will have to have extensive Physical Therpy for a long time, especially for his hands. Kareen now will have to travel with a new born to take him. We all see the gas prices. It is going to kill her. Remember that she to will be out of work just having a baby. They will have little or no income. I already told Kareen that we are more than willing to take him where ever he needs to go.
As a I type this I am crying and shaking so please bear with me. I am going Monday moring to talk to a bank in our town that is right around the corner from Shaun and Kareens house. I want to start a fund for her so the will be the last thing on her mind. I am going to contact Channel 13 (who cover Vicoty Lane) and let them know what is going on for Shaun and his family. Channel 13 News covered the accident and had an update on there yesterday. SO please when something is decided please let me know so I can inform them.
Any news that I get I will forward on. I will talk to Kareen this afternoon I will let everyone know what the verdict is. Please keep Shaun in your hearts when you all hit that track this weekend. We all know that he wanted to be there. He was so excited to drive his new car this year. We put so much work into it.
I will forward on to Kareen all the prayers and wishes from his family at Mountain. Maybe they could say a prayer for him at the start of the race. he is in great hands, I know in may heart that Mark #77 is taking care of Shaun.
Get better buddy.
Kathy

KYM
05-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Shaun Get Better Soon You'll Be In Our Thoughts And Prayers And Kareen If There Is Anything We Can Do Please Let Us Know . And What About Having Everyone Bring A Baby Item To What Ever Everyone Is Going To Do For Shaun And We To Will Do Anything To Help Just Let Us Know. Joe & Kim 22b L/m

krt5199
05-06-2006, 10:26 AM
I Think That The Baby Item Would Be Really Nice. Their Theme Is Winnie The Pooh. I Think That Kareen Would Enjoy That. We Are Trying To Keep Her Mind Off Of It. It Is Hard Of Course.

#9SS
05-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Billy,

Could we possibly post a notice with a collection jar at each of the gates for donations for Shaun. I know I would be happy to put some money in as well as my husband. We got to know Shaun a little better last season and he is a great guy. And whoever sees Shaun next tell him we will be waiting for him to get well so we can go to another Skynard concert. We had a blast snow and all.

Shaun will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Jim and Sue Yamelski
#9 SS

krt5199
05-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Every Penny Counts!! Great Idea

krt5199
05-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Everyone
Shaun's Mailing Address Is
Hc 1 Box 298
Sciota Pa 18354

As Of Now Nothing Can Go To The Hospital Because Shaun Is In The Burn Unit. It Is Like Being In The Icu.
Thanks Everyone
Kathy

krt5199
05-06-2006, 11:56 AM
I Was Asked To Post That Shaun Is Only Allowed To Have Immediate Family Right Now As Visitors. Because Of Infection. A Website Is In The Process So Anyone Can Get Information And Ask Questions.
As For Her "shower" She Is In Desperate Need Of Diapers Of All Sizes And Wipes.
I Will Keep You Posted
Kathy

CIN
05-06-2006, 12:45 PM
My thoughts are with Shaun and Kareen during this difficult time. Having gone thru a difficult time myself this past month I can say this...the racing community is such a great family and will be there to help one and all.
If there is anything I can do, please let me know.
Cin

toots
05-06-2006, 07:49 PM
I will also put a collection can in the souvenir booth at both windows ( fan side & driver side ) If there is any other way that I could help, please let me know. This year has been a total tragedy so far. With so many losses and now this. It can only get better, I hope. I may also be able to help with music entertainment. One of the men that I work with belongs in a band. Don't really know the name of it or what type of music they play, but I can see if they would be interested. I also have an acquaintance with Richie Molinaro, ( 50 & 60's music ) so I can talk to him also, once things are more definite. My email is dancho@intergrafix.net . Another idea would be to maybe have a Chinese Auction on the same date. Maybe each driver and interested person can donate one brand new item ( we could set a monetary amount ) and they could be auctioned off. Items can be left at the souvenir booth. People LOVE Chinese auctions and I have access to the tickets. I have been to many and can do all of the arranging.

2j Late Model
05-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Shaun & family,
Please find comfort in knowing that so many people are praying for you. It goes without saying, if there is anything needed the only fear you should have is that you may get too much help by asking. We have all stuck together thru thick and thin over the last several months so now will not be any different except for the fact that we WILL be able to see you up and running again.
Get Well Soon!!! Kareen---just try to take it easy and try to stay calm for the baby's sake. It will be hard but in a year from now it will all just be a bad memory and you will be getting ready to celebrate your child's first birthday.

Jason & Marissa
and all of Mac Brothers Racing