PDA

View Full Version : Car Counts

WEEZER
05-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Registered wednesday: 40 8 CYL stocks, 15 Grands
Don't know the rest.

LongIslandJam
05-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Weezer is trying to give a hint.... Get registered! The fees have gone up for late entries. Call the office today to get your entry in!

racing#s
05-04-2006, 11:06 PM
I got the letter today, I'll be drawing 26th. So,there's at least 26 trucks already, nice field.

stockade racing
05-05-2006, 03:58 PM
As of Tuesday, I was 12th in the 6 cyl.

racing#s
05-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Geez, it seems that the car counts really are getting mad low these days. I hope everyone is aware they will get wacked with an additional fee at this point if they register now.

WEEZER
05-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Hey Stockade, I did'nt even know you were alive, beings you've never answered my emails/phone calls etc, you know stuff like that, good to here from ya number 12, see ya sunday.

stockade racing
05-06-2006, 09:54 AM
hey weezer if you call my cell i need a new one
seeya sunday

pitbull113
05-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Well did anybody get their starting spot for the next enduro? Just wondering who's attending.

racing#s
05-20-2006, 03:36 PM
I mailed my application mid week, got a letter today. I'm drawing 4th (for the trucks). I hope everyone remembers they will get wacked for a late fee if they wait to much longer.

Bobby Pease
05-20-2006, 10:31 PM
MMMMmmmmmmm......wonder why?

pitbull113
05-20-2006, 10:42 PM
I don't know Bobby why don't you enlighten us.

Bobby Pease
05-21-2006, 01:37 AM
What I can tell you about the GRAND enduro car count is.....

Rules say, Stock appearing motor, and there is a claim rule...

I saw the 21 car, In tech, take his Distributor off, wires off, carb off, intake off, rocker off, push rod out, lifter out, and drain his radiator (had 20 below coolant in it)..... I asked what his prize was for 3rd... No trophie, and he collected $100.00 NOW, his motor passed tech obviously, but, the 21 car owns a business and his time is money... To put the car back together, it will cost him probably 2hrs, plus parts... (intake gaskets, coolant, TIME).. My guess to get back out on the track, about $200.00....So, you tell me what you think... I think stock appearing means no HOLLEY carb, Headers, Alum high rise intake, MSD, etc....

I run Enduros for the Love of the sport, not for the $$$.....
My 40-50-60 or 100 laps are mine forever!!

Steve, did this enlighten you? Remember I say it as it is, no @$$ kiss'n here brother!!
BOBBY PEASE :cool:

pitbull113
05-21-2006, 02:05 AM
Well I admit that teardown does seem a bit extreme but it's also not the norm. The grey area in the rules has always been a problem, but none of this IMO is the reason for the low car counts. The first race of the year always has a low car count and holiday weekends can also effect the turnout. Time will tell. But the only other option is a three hour drive and a fleecing at Mt. The main reason I moved south was due to the lack of decent racing on or near L.I.

rockandrollcafe
05-21-2006, 08:40 AM
There is an alternative. Drive past tech and go straight to your pit. You know if your cheating or not- the guys your racing know if your cheating or not. Why would anyone in their right mind let someone do 200.00 worth of damage to collect 100.00, not to mention question your honest and integrity?
I am not a mechanic, so if they took my car apart- it would cost me a small fortune to have it put back together. Fortunately for me- I don't cheat so I probably won't end up in the top 5 anyway. But if the racing gods do shine down on me one day, I will let the tech's look- if they want to tear my engine apart, I will refuse tech- and forfeit the prize. The following day I will take 60.00 and go buy myself the finest trophy in the trophy store.

And just a note to the cheaters: If I won a race by cheating, I would feel like a real mutt. Not only are you lying (or trying to) to the fans and your fellow racers- but what are you actually saying about yourself? If your good- go out and prove your skills-win it fair.

One last note: the tire rule is not fair either. I can't compete with someone with new tires- and I can't see spending over 400.00 on tires to have a 25:1 chance at winning 250.00.

pitbull113
05-21-2006, 10:57 AM
The problem is what if you're not cheating. Don't you want to prove to everybody that you're not? If you pass tech and load your car up then it's like admitting you're cheating even if you're not. Unfortunately teardowns are common in racing, I just started racing in the SCCA and there is no $$$ for winning just a glass trophy and it cost close to $300 to enter a race. Anyone in the field is subject to a teardown which can include engine, trans, rear or anything else the tech guys seem fit. Many a racer has gone home with a box of parts instead of an engine. This is an expensive hobby. We all know the joke about making a small fortune in racing, start out with a large one.

Bobby Pease
05-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Steve,
I think your forgetting this is an Enduro! The Grand enduro is just the officals letting us put camber in, fuel cell, cage... Hey, If It was a points series and tear down were part of the gig, so be it... I dont run a points series here, and the point was to keep costs down, and car counts up.. To each his own, you race in the SCCA and tear down are a given, enduros are different...Especially, when there is a claim rule and stock appearing rule...
If I told you to chop your car in Half and let me check all the bars for lead would you do it? NO, youd load it up and go home... So do say if you dont tear an enduro motor down, your cheating... I think Im done with this, unless you race here, you wont understand....
Bobby Pease :cool:

pitbull113
05-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Bobby I don't think you understood what I was trying to convey. I agree the teardown of the 21 car did seem extreme. As far as passing tech and loading up it makes other people think you are cheating even if you're not. Maybe reread what I posted. And by the way I do race at RR and have been off and on for the last 12 years.

rockandrollcafe
05-21-2006, 02:33 PM
No Pitbull- I am not the least bit interested in proving anything to anyone at Riverhead. I am fully aware of how I conduct myself and am very happy with the results. Like Bobby stated- Enduro is ground floor racing. It is supposed to be affordable racing for the working stiff. I go there- pay my fee and race my car around "their" track. (For as many laps as they decide to let us Endure that particular race.)

I'm not going to let the rules-sudden policy changes or politics interfere with my day of racing. I know who's cheating and who's not and I'm not even a mechanic. So as far as "tech" is concerned, I say let them
"go tech themselves".

Please don't feel I'm bashing Riverhead either. I love the track and I've met some great dedicated people there.......BUT Riverhead Raceway is a privatly owned business. I am not a stock holder or partner in the business- therfore I do not have a say so in any matters there. Let them worry about car counts.

nobandwagonhere
05-21-2006, 04:08 PM
As far as Im concerned, the grands are a blunderbust division w/out a weight rule. The grand rules are "STOCK APPEARING" motors. Now honestly, how far do you think racers will take that? As far as tearing down motors, if the rules say stock appearing then if it looks stock it shouldnt be torn down. On the other hand if there is something that doesnt look stock then yes they will tear you down. If there is a reason to then they will. It is the tech officials descretion and we all know that. You know where you are racing....you know before hand that if they want to tear your motor down they will. Thats just how it goes. It may not be agreeable but like I said, remember where you are. Now, the grands got ruined when certain people asked for Hoosiers, cages, fuel cells, full safety gear, etc. The field was then limited to basically those who asked for these things. Riverhead allowed it and Riverhead payed the price. Car counts dropped dramatically. There really is no difference between Blunderbusts and grands in my opinion. My opinion is, if you dont like it, then why run? Some run for fun, some run for points, god knows nobody is running for the money..because there is no payout. So why aggrevate yourselves. My opinion is, you go to a track, you watch the race and if you like it you run. But dont run and THEN try to change the rules...and THATS what happened. This past weekend we tried an out of town track because we had a week off. We tried White Lakes. It was a ride, yes. The price of fuel these days is crazy, yes. But we just wanted to run for the night. Our car was 95% legal for that track, but we were allowed to run. There was really no car count, but I have NEVER been welcomed like the way we were welcomed. Hey....it was worth it.

vsmidge68
05-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Just wondering....... What exactly does " stock appearing" mean.....If you " appear" to be faster than everyone else, can they tear you down? also is shaving tires legal? :confused:

Bobby Pease
05-21-2006, 11:23 PM
Read my earlier post, you will see what stock appearing means... As far as Faster than anyone else??? Do you think a 1969 blown 454 chevelle is faster than a 1986 monte carlo?? (think about that) :confused: .... Being faster on a circle track has TONS to do with seat time and set up.... So if someone appears to be faster, hes probably got some time in a car....

vsmidge68
05-22-2006, 05:53 AM
Ok so basically what you are saying is they should start looking @ things like caster & camber, springs, shocks, sway bars & tires? All of that is supposed to be stock as well ( with the exception of a % of camber). As far as seat time there are several drivers who have been in these divisions for 10,12 years without a win. I also happen to know for a fact that some of these cars have faster lap times than blunderbust cars. Does that sound stock to you? I think this division has turned into way more than was originally intended. By the way don't quiz me on what cars can be faster than others. I never met a 69 Chevelle I didn't like. :wave:

In response to Donny's post:
Cost of fuel $3.25 per gallon :eek:
Tolls: $60.00
Respect for the drivers & crew: PRICELESS :) :wave: ;)

Bobby Pease
05-22-2006, 06:55 AM
10 - 12 yrs without a win.... I was 13yrs without a win.... OK, faster laps than Blunderbust, I know for a fact that the 4 cyl division had cars faster than blunderbust as well..( last year Both Verways cars)..enough about lap times..... Guess its because Blunderbust is 4000 lbs! Some grand cars are 2800 lbs... Lots of factors here... Have a good one!!
Bobby Pease

art11758
05-22-2006, 09:56 AM
What "stock appearing" means to me. It says that at time of manufacture for the stated model what it looked it like. That would mean that for the say 1978 Chevrolet Impala you would be allowed the following: a cast iron intake mainifold with the carburetor of choice that was available that year (a 2 barrel rochester or a Q-jet) It means cast iron heads that if pulled, have intakes that measure max 1.94 and exhausts that measure 1.50 with stamped steel rockers,stock adjuster nuts and balls, rotaters on the exhaust valves and hardened seats for the exhaust. They have unmodified chambers that layman cc at 74 or so. If they have been "serviced" you might see new guides.The pistons in this engine are somewhat dished with valve reliefs. The cam has non roller hydraulic lifters. And the block has 2 or 4 bolt maincaps. The whole engine is internally balanced which is easy to check by looking at the harmonic balancer(cast iron with the rubber ring) and or the flexplate. The fuel pump is plain looking with fixed inlet and a single threaded outlet. The rocker covers are stamped steel 4 bolts to a side with a pcv bushing on the drivers side front and a larger rubber bushing on the passenger side rear. It has an HEI style distributor with the coil mounted in the cap an a black plastic cover. The wires are 7 or 8 mm and are grey or black.
I know I kinda went off here and there is a reason for it. That engine I just described is what actually came in those cars and makes good power. The rest of the deal is handling. The grands are allowed certain mods the stocks aren't. Experience will typically excel. It's always been that way. Even in the "checkbook classes" that rule applies. The tire thing and the rest of it have been covered way much here and I stated my opinions about them in the past. Race according to what you can afford (why I've been parked for 14 years) and have fun. It's really what its all about.

nobandwagonhere
05-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Sooooo.......I guess what we are saying is dont tech the cars,.....but review the drivers history? Let them tech the car and if your not dirty then dont worry. If you are then learn how to hide it better. Otherwise what are we all crying about? :rolleyes: You either run or you dont. Bottom line.

Bobby Pease
05-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Its called a claim rule..... If someone has a 10,000.00 motor....you can have it for 1000.00
I agree with Art!! Just go have some fun!!
Bobby Pease

unowho243
05-22-2006, 10:34 PM
I agree with Bandwagon and midge the grands are more of a street stock or blunderbust rather then enduro division they should be on sat nights!
or have like a midstock division that have less then grands but more then stock 8 cyl enduros

Hey Don you racing at Riverhead any time this season or na?

nobandwagonhere
05-25-2006, 03:56 PM
Yeah, we'll be there this weekend...2 cars. See ya then!

W. J.
05-25-2006, 08:16 PM
I agree with Bandwagon and Midge, the Grands are more of a Street Stock or Blunderbust, rather than Enduro division. They should be on Sat. nights!
Just what we need, another Saturday night division. Maybe Grands as a fill-in when another division is off, or (gasp), if one is discontinued. Don't get me wrong, I love watching the Grands run, but there is no room to add ANY divisions to an already crowded Saturday night.

WEEZER
05-25-2006, 10:45 PM
Hey W.J., maybe the track should eliminate a few divisions and then maybe the car counts would go up if drivers would move up or drop down. Speaking of car counts, registered wednesday, 45 stock 8's, 15 6cyls and 15 grands. And congrats to felix from value towing (RACIN.RACIN.RACIN) for his win at wall stadium may 20th in the factory stocks.

W. J.
05-26-2006, 09:50 AM
I don't disagree, Weezer, but which division do you want to tell that their investment ($$$$) was a waste, and they will have to start over again?

racing#s
05-26-2006, 10:21 AM
I think we will, without a doubt, have much less cars/trucks racing this weekend. The reason is people are running Mountain.

WEEZER
05-26-2006, 04:39 PM
W.J. I wouldn't touch that question with a ten foot pole AND your trickle medication. It would just be nice to see full fields.

W. J.
05-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Yeah, Weezer, remember when the Mini-Mods were 'asked' to leave because they could only field 14-15 cars a week? Hmmm...

Bobby Pease
05-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Hey,

Did the Mini Mods have a Points system / champion, and did they race weekly?
Just wondering....
Bobby Pease

W. J.
05-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Yes, Bobby, they did have a point fund and raced weekly. I'm pretty certain the track paid the fund and awarded the points, even though Mini-Mods had formed an association (LIMMA).

Jaws
05-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Something has to be done about the counts.

Too many classes too few cars.

Trucks have never fielded a full fileld and figure 8's have not had 20 in (?? ) I don't know how many years. Does anyone know???

Have the enduros have dropped off the face of the earth or do they have too many classes too?

I guess Neets has hurt them a lot. I sure Neets would love to run a race or 2 at Riverhead!! Like thats going to happen, makes too much sense.

Maybe the regular Sat night show should be 4 classes with a special event each week. I know some drivers would be pissed at loosing their investment but it may have to be done for the good of the track. Merge the trucks with the chargers or figure 8's ( I know I know that one

Bring back the legends, they used to have 50 cars a night.

And someone in recent post talked about promotion, they need promotion to attract new drivers and cars. I remember at Islip they talked every week about how you get involved in demo's, figure 8's and other racing done at the track. I don't think I ever hear anything about that at the track now.

W. J.
05-29-2006, 02:48 PM
To make a point, however you might wish to take it, there were 148 vehicles signed in for yesterday's enduro's, plus 16 Spectator Drag cars, and 6 Blind Taxicab cars. That's 170 total, maybe not as good as in the past, but decent figures, though it would be nice to see more 6 cyl. out there. NEETS had little effect on the car counts, since their event is today, and most Grand teams I spoke with got out of Riverhead with intentions of making it to Mountain for the party and today's racing.

Bobby Pease
06-02-2006, 10:55 PM
I just Read every word on every post here......I dont think anyone trashed anyone here?? Someone told me I was TRASHING them on this post????? Tell me something I dont see......DUH.... :confused:

Whatever!! I dont trash people here....I have no problem telling someone about a problem to there face.... And I never hide behind a post, you know its me!! Enough said!!
Hope all are well! See yaz soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bobby Pease :rolleyes:

rockandrollcafe
06-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Bobby- What did you say about my mother?

Belated congrats on your last win bro?

Bobby Pease
06-03-2006, 09:22 AM
LOL......
We Miss ya Ralph!!! Hope your feeling good bro!!!!!
Bobby Pease and the Enduro Family.... :wave:

Crazy Horse
06-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Ralph, word on the street.... your MOM turns quicker lap times. :-B :eek: lol

rockandrollcafe
06-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Wow it took a momma joke to get you to post on the jam - you're a sick man pete. Welcome to the boards buddy.
PS
Don't ever beleive what you hear on the street.

Crazy Horse
06-04-2006, 08:39 AM
R.R. thank's for realizing I was just GOOF'N no disrespect intended. I'm not sure of your health condition, but I hope you're on the mend. It would be cool to see you and the #4 adding to the car counts. :-B :cool: :-B