PDA

View Full Version : Fans in the stands?

btgoss
05-07-2006, 10:33 PM
I guess opening up against a night Cup race is never a good deal, and the crowd is never great at Riverhead for opening night, but it looked like there just might have been more people in the pits then in the stands this weekend.
I know it got a bit windy, and Riverhead can be an awefully cold place, but does that explain all of the empty seats?

unowho243
05-07-2006, 11:57 PM
I would say so..... Like you said, opening night is always a slow night, not to mention the closing of the expressway might have caused some fans that live more west of the track not to come.

allhailunc
05-08-2006, 03:53 AM
Gee, I wonder why? The attendance has, for the most part, been in decline over the past 4-5 years. Even the "circus acts" don't fill the stands anymore(used to love hearing Bob Finan, in his ever dulcet tone, saying ,"Please move into the middle of the row, there will be no saving of the seats due to the expected crowds") Other, "new", mitigating factors will also turn people away too. Opening night has never been a crowd drawing event, but then again, the fireworks nights don't draw the 5-6 deep on the walkways anymore either, do they? Between entry prices and concession prices, it has become quite an expensive "habit" for the occasional attendee, never mind those that either sit, or "used to" sit through thick & thin". Sure, crowds will eventually file in, but never again in the numbers I used to see in the past 25 years of attending. :disgusted

LongIslandJam
05-08-2006, 07:34 AM
To be honest, this was the biggest opening day crowd I've seen in the 7 seasons we've been doing the Jam. It was a bit sparse, but not bad for an opening night.

RGeeProductions
05-08-2006, 10:20 AM
I agree with JA, the stands weren't too shabby. As usual, during heats, stands were light but by main event[s] time, it was pretty decent compared to past. I found it funny that after the Figure 8 Main, which was run last, I was taking pictures on the track and during the interview I looked around at the stands and they were COMPLETELY empty and I mean NOT 1 PERSON!!!!!!!!! Was weird, but then again it got quite chilly after the sun set, I myself was freezing....I hope they do rotate features this year. Seems a bummer for Figure 8 guys to be there all day with only a Feature to run at the end of the night....And also can get better photographs of their division if run in daylight....

W. J.
05-08-2006, 10:32 AM
I thought it was a decent sized crowd also, and I've been going much more than 7 years. Veteran fans know it gets cold later in the evening, and it did just that. Admittedly, some new track policies may have had a small effect on who came and who didn't, but as announced elsewhere on this forum, that policy has been modified, and less people should be unhappy now, which is good for all of us. It is very important to any race fan to support this track, as it's all we have, and we love racing. You may not agree with certain rules, policies, or decisions, but you also may not be fully aware of why they are what they are. Adapt to them as best you can and move on, because there is little entertainment of interest to a race fan like me outside of going to the races on Saturday night. Cup race on TV??? That's what VCR's and DVR's are for! Give me live, in my face racing, as opposed to TV racing anytime. By recording, I can skip the hundred or so commercials and just watch the action. I can also mute the two non-English speaking commentators when they go off on one of their ever annoying "in depth" analysis' of repetitive information that they've so uneloquently told us about so many times already. (JMHO)
This looks to be a very promising season at Riverhead, and I'm not missing any of it that I don't have to. Maybe all of you out there should begin to think of it that way, too, and make racing on Long Island as big and successful as we'd all like it to be. :)

CIN
05-08-2006, 11:21 AM
I totally agree WJ. And I for one will be out there to support all divisions.
Cin

Jaws
05-08-2006, 01:14 PM
I'll admit I don't go nearly as much as I used to. Mostly because I have been following the tour.

But I have also driven a lot farther to other tracks that put on a better show at a lower cost, at much better facilities. (Dirt and paved)

The more tracks I see the less I want to go back to Riverhead.

What is admission this year? Its a big chunck of change to bring a family of 4.

The food is terrible and expensive. The parking lot eats cars for fun.

And most shows I have been to are just plain too long.

There is a dedicated base of 150-200 race teams that keep that place going and I applaud them all.

I believe most of the regular fans are the ones that contribute to this forum and web site. Beyond these fans, many people on LI don't even know the place is still open.

I think the track has lost most of its fan base by having the attitude for too many years of open the doors and they will come.

Many people must feel the same way, too, or there would be more fans in the seats every week.

Things have to change or there will be no more opening nights, not at Riverhead. I hope not.

allhailunc
05-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Well, there has been somewhat of a change in the policy regarding outside food, so that will help in attendance (I hope).

Jaws
05-08-2006, 02:42 PM
I don't think that will make that big a difference.

art11758
05-08-2006, 03:50 PM
I was in attendance on Sunday. I know better than to try the first night or two unless I wanna wear a snowmobile suit. Sunday was nice until the breeze picked up. That's all it took and it was then uncomfortable. Crowd was light though.
I too travel a bit, although probably less this year. And I don't know what the difference is exactly that makes the 'head just seem ....... I dunno, "old". I mean they finally have all aluminum decked stands and all, it just is different when I go other places. And some of them are as old, if not older, so that's not it. Regardless, I will continue to support the 'head as I have in the past for select shows.

Mortgage Guy
05-08-2006, 04:53 PM
I thought the crowd was pretty good, I have seen it better in the past, but it did get real cold, and with the Cup race on, you may have lost a few. As far as the order they run it, it would be nice to sandwich the Figure 8's in before the Modifieds, they did that some last year and it kept the fans in the seats until the end of the show. Maybe when it gets warmer they will do that again.

btgoss
05-08-2006, 06:59 PM
I made my post last night after having looked at the photo gallery from opening night (thanks for the excellent photos by the way.)... and I failed to mention that my question was based on looking at the pictures... not having been at the track, nor was I trying to get anyone worked up. I just thought the stands looked a bit empty...
I can make enough trouble when I TRY... I don't need to make any when I am not trying..

FLAT OUT
05-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Maybe If They Did Some Advertising On The Radio Or Newspaper To Promote Opening Night The Turn Out Would Be Better...

LongIslandJam
05-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Newspaper advertising is extremely expensive (actually one of the most expensive methods of advertising), and radio can be expensive as well...

However, you CAN successfully promote on a shoe-string with grassroots promotion (flyers, promo cards at retail stores, etc.). It's what Long Island Car Club has done and many other successful venues (like clubs and such). Just takes a lot of footwork.