PDA

View Full Version : Good News! Revised Food Policy

LongIslandJam
05-08-2006, 09:44 AM
Straight from the master of the mic, Bob Finan, here's the revised food policy:

As of Monday morning we've modified out food policy starting with this Saturday night May 13th. It's pretty much the same as 2005 with a minor change or two.

Only one soft sided bag no larger than 6" X 6" X 12" is allowed. (HARD COOLERS; ie IGLOO type, are NOT PERMITTED; soft coolers of this size are allowed for carrying drink boxes, baby bottles for babies, small 'sippy' juice bags, etc.)

Only one clear plastic bag, no larger than 18" X 18" X 4", is allowed.

Fans are only allowed to bring in one each of the bags described above and those bags are subject to inspection by event staff.

No cans or glass/ plastic bottles (Meaning- NO WATER OR SODA BOTTLES)

Subject to change without notice.

(I added the clarifications in parenthesis after a phone conversation with Bob Finan, just so everyone understands the new policy. W.J.)

racing#s
05-08-2006, 09:59 AM
I overheard several upset people in the grandstands complaining about that very issue. I also failed to mention it to my wife who hiked from the parking lot with a ton of yoo hoos and snacks for the kids. She had to hike back to the parking lot and boy did I hear it.... "Why didn't you tell me we weren't allowed in with drinls and food !!" This is a good move on the tracks part.

CIN
05-08-2006, 10:06 AM
I agree that it is a great turn around on the tracks part. On Sunday there were quite a few "families" that turned around and left the track because of the "no food" policy.
Now we have to get the word out to let everyone know the track reversed the policy.

Cin

99racing
05-08-2006, 10:26 AM
I totally agree with what CIN said.. being at the track the whole weekend, I saw a lot of people getting mad about the no food policy.

RGeeProductions
05-08-2006, 10:31 AM
OK, food issue has been resolved, let's move on to racing....

W. J.
05-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Agree, RGee, we need not comment any further on past history. Those who objected in any way have been heard from, the track has re-evaluated the policy, a change has been made, and now racing is once again the important topic, as it should be. I would think posters here would be expressing their happiness about the change in policy. If it starts to go negative, we will stop all comments on the subject. It would be literally 'beating a dead horse', so let's move on.

allhailunc
05-08-2006, 11:33 AM
it is good to see that a "rethinking" has occurred and a semi-reversal has been issued :applause:

Hobo
05-08-2006, 06:43 PM
. It would be literally 'beating a dead horse', so let's move on.
Got to make sure it doesn't get up and run, NO ???

btgoss
05-08-2006, 06:54 PM
I think this is a step in the right direction... and I guess we should be happy, and I will be honest I feel like I am about to be guilty of flaggin that ole horse....
But while this is a step in the right direction, it still doesn't help me too much if I can't bring water. Between myself (in remission from cancer) and my father (diabetic) we need A LOT of water to make it through most of the show. I literally drink 6-8 bottles of water a day, and that is at work, inside, not sitting out in the big blue room with the orange ball.....
So I am going to applaud the staff at Riverhead, but I hope they see the light and let us bring water... or better yet, let us go to our cars to eat and come back... now that would be very good...
Give the families a family section, with a couple of picnic tables, let us bring food and drink, and help bring the next generation of fans into the fold.... that is how the track is really going to survive, bring in the kids, make the local guys the heroes they should and let the rest take care of itself...

rabbid1
05-08-2006, 07:03 PM
I missed opening night last year. Do you think the food thing was a factor for the low turn out? You'd think opening night would draw better . The weather wasn't too great, but that was more later in the evening.

W. J.
05-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Weather is always a factor in people's minds. If they remember being uncomfortable with early season weather from the year before, they wait until they know that evening (after sundown) weather will be a bit milder. Nobody likes to be cold, and as we grow older and wiser, we know the beer isn't going to warm us up, LOL!

RGeeProductions
05-08-2006, 07:15 PM
I think this is a step in the right direction... and I guess we should be happy, and I will be honest I feel like I am about to be guilty of flaggin that ole horse....
But while this is a step in the right direction, it still doesn't help me too much if I can't bring water. Between myself (in remission from cancer) and my father (diabetic) we need A LOT of water to make it through most of the show. I literally drink 6-8 bottles of water a day, and that is at work, inside, not sitting out in the big blue room with the orange ball.....
So I am going to applaud the staff at Riverhead, but I hope they see the light and let us bring water... or better yet, let us go to our cars to eat and come back... now that would be very good...
Give the families a family section, with a couple of picnic tables, let us bring food and drink, and help bring the next generation of fans into the fold.... that is how the track is really going to survive, bring in the kids, make the local guys the heroes they should and let the rest take care of itself...
Have you contacted the track about your situation? I do think if you called the track about this, it would be taken care of. Also keep in mind, Riverhead Raceway is a business, it has to make money, running the track, insurance, electric, etc etc, and part of that business is selling food....

Jaws
05-08-2006, 11:38 PM
I know the answer we will get is insurance, but Riverhead is the only track I have ever been to that you can not go to your car.

It keeps people away from the track. This time of the year when it can get cold later on not being able to go get a jacket or warm up in the car is terrible.

OK don't let large coolers in but let people go to their cars.

Also I can understand the limited cooler policy on nights the place is packed, but the first month of the season there would be room if everyone brought a big cooler.

By the way I didn't notice a notice about the policy change on the web page yet.

I have an autistic son who only drinks a certain apple juice, if I can't bring enough (because I can't go to the car to get more) we are not coming.

And they wonder where all the fans have gone??

RGeeProductions
05-08-2006, 11:51 PM
To Dusty Orange County!!!! (http://www.rgeepro.com/graphics/OCFG2003.wmv)

LongIslandJam
05-08-2006, 11:55 PM
I've talked with a few promoters about policies and such. You are right that a lot of tracks do not have policies in regard to food, etc. However, Riverhead is being proactive in this case. Think of it on the flip side. How many know folks that keep going back to their car to get plastered on alcohol or heaven forbid other things (maybe drugs) or other illegal activities. While many of us have innocent intentions, some do not and ruin it for those who have no problem obeying rules. By not allowing folks to head back to their cars, it gives more control to the track over drunkeness and other forms of problems. Any promoter will understand this philosophy.

Every race I've been too, I usually bring everything with me rather than rely on having stuff in a car (especially with big events like Nextel Cup races, bigger local races, like Race of Champions, etc.). It's a pain, but something that's got to be done.

And I understand about having an autistic son who needs a particular item and will cause great issues to have it (believe me, it strikes closer to home than you think). A cooler or bag that is within the rules, should provide enough juice to solve the issue (in theory, test it out).

Just trying to give you another side of the issue...

Jaws
05-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Been there too, go to New Egypt if you want dirt (Unless you like to eat dirt).

Middletown has very liberal policies and good admision prices but the place is very run down.

LongIslandJam
05-09-2006, 12:01 AM
No track is perfect, and if New Egypt is run down (In 1998, motorsports promoters from all 50 states named New Egypt "Most Outstanding Rehabilitation of a Speedway," putting the central Jersey track in the national spotlight during Daytona Speedweek ceremonies.) , you haven't seen half the tracks I've been too... :lol:

Teds Race Tours
05-09-2006, 03:00 AM
Been there too, go to New Egypt if you want dirt (Unless you like to eat dirt).

They have very liberal policies and good admision prices but the place is very run down.

Jaws, Are you sure you are talking about New Egypt? The place is in great shape. Bridgeport was run down the last time I was there in 03', and Orange County looks like 1962, but New Egypt looks great. I preferred it as a 1/4 mile in 98, than the almost 1/2 mile now, but it's still one of the best in the area, along with Grandview, Lincoln, Lebanon Valley, and the Grove.

RGeeProductions
05-09-2006, 07:49 AM
Not many PERFECT tracks left according to some authors!!!!

W. J.
05-09-2006, 08:30 AM
JA is correct Jaws. If each person is allowed a cooler bag, and you and your son both have one, I'm sure you would be able to bring in what is needed for a typical evening at the track.

I don't necessarily agree with the policy of not going to the car, but I do understand their reasoning for having that provision. When it used to be allowed, on many occassions I saw people go out to get a few beers in them whenever they got the chance. The races are not fun for sober fans when there is a drunk acting stupidly sitting near by. I know they can buy beer in the track, but for most, the 'bar tab' would be huge, and happily, a lot can't afford that. My thought has always been, "Did you come to see the races or to get plastered? If you're plastered, how can you have enjoyed what you don't remember? It would be a lot cheaper to stay at home and get drunk, if that's your aim."

Jaws
05-09-2006, 09:20 AM
I meant Middletown, New Egypt is a great place to see a race and is VERY fan friendly.

As far as going to the car they should let you go at least once especially on cold nights or if you have kids.

That policy alone keeps fans away.

Captain2H
05-09-2006, 11:11 AM
The fans and the Raceway handled the Food Controversy in a proper manner. Riverhead Raceway deserves to be thanked for listening to the Fans and changing the policy as quickly as they did!

allhailunc
05-09-2006, 11:28 AM
upon that i do wholeheartedly agree :applause: :applause: :applause:

Rubbin&Racin
05-09-2006, 11:40 AM
:) Totally agree, time to move on, get off the food issue and be happy Riverhead heard the fans.....now forget the food and send Congratulations to all of last weeks winners, I am sure they would appreciate reading that instead. To all of last weeks Winners, we say Congratulations!!!!! :lol: To all the food people....pack your cooler and sit and enjoy the Race. :wave:

LongIslandJam
05-09-2006, 05:06 PM
You said it best Jo,

Let's dismiss this issue and move on. We are all a little happier now:)