PDA

View Full Version : A new rule ?

racing#s
05-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Did any other truck guys notice the #47. I feel the more the merrier, but that was a Blazer. Are Blazers allowed to run now ?

pitbull113
05-12-2006, 09:14 PM
2-door blazer has a much shorter wheelbase. IMO it has an unfair advantage!

W. J.
05-13-2006, 10:58 AM
I'm not sure about the rules, but the track did allow it to run. Bob Finan did mention it was a 4WD, so it could qualify as being a truck, despite the original manufacturer's intention that it be considered a 'car'. Should make for an intersting debate down the road. I'll try to look into this and get back with a statement from a track official.

vsmidge68
05-13-2006, 11:53 AM
Its in the rules that you CAN run a blazer if it is 2wd or if the front axle is NOT WORKING. Don't ask me, but it is in the rules.

pitbull113
05-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Vicki.

wayne
05-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Hey RACING#S, I Ran The Blazer Last Week. And You Are Allowed The Blazer This Year. It's Supposed To Be 2 Wheel Drive, But Mine Was Indeed 4 Wheel. I Cut The Front Axle's Out. It's Pretty Hard To Find A 2 Wheel Drive 2 Dr S-10. Almost Impossible To Find One With A 4.3, But They Did Allow It. It Handled Great. A flat Tire Killed Me.

RacinRob
05-14-2006, 11:11 AM
wayne forget about these enduros and race your blunderbust again! lol that blazer was movin!

racing#s
05-14-2006, 11:36 AM
That's cool that Blazers are allowed. The rules say, 'subject to change, 1990-1994 Blazers, 2wd are allowed.' I think that before year's end we'll see a few more.Good luck
Another rule change is no more in car cameras. I almost didn't see it, it's written all the way on the bottom of the rules.

DODGE99
05-14-2006, 11:55 AM
I think they should make a separate division for 2 door, 2 wd s-10 Blazers!

wayne
05-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Hey Rob, I Can't Catch A Break, No Matter What Division I"m In, Lol. It Was My First Enduro Ever, man That Was Fun! And Kevin, I Don't Think That That's A Bad Idea.

pitbull113
05-14-2006, 12:43 PM
How about mini-van enduros. Back seat must have five bags of grocerys and one soccer ball! :D

ramit1824
05-14-2006, 01:58 PM
There are a lot of vans around, sounds like it would be cool! :)

DODGE99
05-14-2006, 05:57 PM
They've gotta get something new out there, the car counts have been steadily going down because you can't find the "good" cars anymore. Make a new division of vehicles that are easily available (blazers). I think it would be cool.

W. J.
05-14-2006, 07:46 PM
They've gotta get something new out there, the car counts have been steadily going down because you can't find the "good" cars anymore. Make a new division of vehicles that are easily available (blazers). I think it would be cool.
I don't know if I'd agree. There are just so many who will do this sort of thing regularly, and the more "choices" of divisions you give, the more likely it will dilute what's already there. If there were really only one viable division, no matter which one, you could probably always count on near or over 100 entries. Start dividing that, and the number per division drops.
I do agree that the 'good cars' are hard to find, but that isn't the only reason for low counts in some classes.

wayne
05-14-2006, 08:00 PM
I KNOW ITS AN ENDURO, BUT WHO WANTS TO BE ON THE TRACK WITH A HUNDRED OTHER CARS ? THERE ARE SOME GUY'S THAT ACTUALLY TAKE ENDURO RACING SERIOUSLY, AND SOME THAT DO IT JUST FOR FUN.IMO I THINK THE MORE DIVISIONS THE BETTER CHANCE OF GUY'S GETTING WINS.IF THE ENTRY FEE ON RACEDAY WAS A LITTLE BETTER I THINK GUY'S WOULD DO 3 OR 4 DIFFERENT ENDUROS. SUNDAY THERE WERE ONLY 7 OR 8 , 6 CYL CARS.SO I THINK THE NEXT ENDURO I WILL ALSO DO THAT. TO ME LESS IS MORE, BUT THATS WHY I DID THE SAT NIGHT THING. I LIKE TO TRY AND RACE. I CANT SEE RACING WITH A HUNDRED OTHER CARS. BUT MUST BE FUN THOUGH CAUSE ALOT OF GUY'S DO IT.

RacinRob
05-14-2006, 08:13 PM
my first enduro race ever was a full 100 car field and i didnt enjoy it as much as the truck race kast week. You can work on racing skills and learn more with 30 trucks. I eventually want to race blunderbust and I cant see myself getting any better with 100 cars on a 1/4 mile track. I feel the trucks for teh most part are a very competitive division and has alot of clean drivers who help each other out. However its more expensive than people think to stay up front. But for the most part I feel the trucks are THE division to be in.

P.S wayne see ya in the 6cyl race too. Picked up a 92 cougar.

LongIslandJam
05-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Some comments:

#1) Mini Vans would be a great idea for an Enduro as they are plenty around.

#2) I feel the multitude of divisions in the Enduros right now is actually hurting them, not a lack of cars (although it does hurt to a certain extent). When you have 6 divisions to the two that were around 6 years ago (Full-Size and 4-cylinders), you water down the playing field and spread the drivers thin. Remember that.

#3) The Enduros were founded upon the premise of cheap affordable racing but also as survival! 100 cars, 100 laps, whoever finishes first when the dust settles won. Now that was enduro racing. With 30 cars you got more of a stock car race (which isn't bad), but its not an Enduro, at least not in the classic sense of it (my personal opinion).

Feel free to disagree with me on this, I just want to point out a different perspective for you guys...

RGeeProductions
05-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Some comments:

#1) Mini Vans would be a great idea for an Enduro as they are plenty around.

#2) I feel the multitude of divisions in the Enduros right now is actually hurting them, not a lack of cars (although it does hurt to a certain extent). When you have 6 divisions to the two that were around 6 years ago (Full-Size and 4-cylinders), you water down the playing field and spread the drivers thin. Remember that.

#3) The Enduros were founded upon the premise of cheap affordable racing but also as survival! 100 cars, 100 laps, whoever finishes first when the dust settles won. Now that was enduro racing. With 30 cars you got more of a stock car race (which isn't bad), but its not an Enduro, at least not in the classic sense of it (my personal opinion).

Feel free to disagree with me on this, I just want to point out a different perspective for you guys...

I'm with you on all except mini-vans. I think you would have too many FLIP over!! Think about that.

W. J.
05-14-2006, 08:49 PM
There were 15 6 cyl cars last Sunday, for the record.

jimmy'z
05-14-2006, 08:52 PM
I miss those 100+ car enduros; those were a ton of fun (and definitely an endurance test). If you made it out of one of those, you surely earned it.

Nothing against the races now with the lower numbers (ran the 4 cyl enduro two years ago and I think only 9 or so cars (out of the 60 +/-) didn't drive off the track.

It was more like racing than and enduro. I remember back at that FunkMaster Flex thing up in Waterford they had the Wednesday night show (link to the speedbowl's x-class (http://www.speedbowl.com/speedpages/x_cars_sp.html)); that is what (IMHO) the enduros are now.

Maybe they should make it points, etc. .. I bet they'd get a good turnout.

pitbull113
05-14-2006, 09:50 PM
I guess I'll chime in with my two cents worth. I started enduros when it was four races of 100 cars 100 laps, and it was exciting, but it also was a wreck fest. I got tired of tearing up cars and went to Flemington to run. They had 100 or so cars running at the same time, but the track was bigger (5/8 mile) and the guys had more money in the cars (rollcage, fuel cell etc.), so there was more give and take, but if you wrecked, you wrecked hard due to the higher speeds. Tried the modifieds for a while and that was way too costly, so went back to Riverhead and saw the 4cyl. run, and it looked like fun, so I'm back in Riverhead. O.K. more than two cents. I've also run the wreck fests at Mt. Speedway. What I'm getting at is, I can't afford weekly racing, so it's enduros for now, but I want to race, not run a one directional demo derby. So I like a lot of divisions with smaller fields, it lets you race, and for some guys, it gives them the option of running more than one race.

N.Y. racing
05-17-2006, 05:51 PM
I have to agree with Pitbull, even though I have yet to race an Enduro I definately like smaller fields so you can actually race. People running into you every second is not racing thats what they have demo derbys for, or so I thought.

310fig8
05-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Guys, please understand this is only my opinion. I have been on both sides of the racing world. I drove many different divisions including Enduros. Each division had its different ways which is what seperates them from each other. For "racing" with a set field there are the "Saturday night" divisions. Enduros are another animal with different rules and formats. The idea of enduros was to put many cars on the track and run the race. You had to "endure" the length of the race and the traffic on the track to win. That is Enduro racing, thats what seperates it from the Saturday night races. If you want "small" fields and controlled racing, join a Saturday night division. I had a blast in the Enduros!!!!! it was very different from what I was used to, but fun for what it was.
Please understand i'm not stepping on anyones feet here or saying anyones opinion is wrong, everyone has an opinion and this is only mine.

DODGE99
05-18-2006, 11:48 AM
hey 310fig8, i agree with you 100 % thats what enduro racing is supposed to be about. I dont think anyone could have said it better.

RacinRob
05-18-2006, 04:54 PM
I understand what your saying also BUT not everybody can afford saturday night racing.

Golf Guy
05-18-2006, 09:43 PM
I think the solution to the enduro wreckfest/saturday to expensive problem is the grand enduro. 7 to 8 races with 20 or so cars and not to costly. 4/6/8 enduro's should be an endurance.

LongIslandJam
05-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Thank you Golf Guy... I think you stated many of our thoughts. But, I know some will disagree with us.

WEEZER
05-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Hmmm, lets see, grands, not too expensive, little confused there, but the first race was an endurance race, being a 100 laps.

racing#s
05-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Way back in 1991 they had a Memorial day race that had 116 cars and a whopping 200 laps. Riverhead has come a long way, it used to take 2 hours+ just to get your car tech'd in. The parking lot was mayhem, cars everywhere. They had 4 SOLD OUT full size 8 cyl. races. If you didn't actually physically wait online at the office in Lindenhurst sometimes your check was mailed back to you because they had more drivers then they needed. I for one am happy with the progress the track has taken. I think years back we didn't get the respect,now we do. They are making it much more fun now to race there.

art11758
05-19-2006, 03:38 PM
I was thinking about this a while. Since the thread has kinda meandered I will put in my two cents worth. I'm also from the "200 lap twice a year" enduro school.(man I'm old) We took "shifts" waiting outside the speedway office. I scored for the first enduro ever held at Riverhead.(competed in the second thru about tenth or so) Even then there were guys with way more car than the event was looking for. A certain engine builder had a Chevelle that looked to be a "ringer". He never stood a chance. The ability to "endure" was paramount. If after 150 laps you were still in good shape, you could race a bit provided there was any dry track left. After a few years a few guys figured it out and prolly should have moved up. (JMO as always)
Here is a separate "issue" as I see it: the "entry level" divisions never stay low cost. It is a whole different issue so I will leave it at that statement.
The Grand Enduro's for the moment seem to have resolved that and that's good. The remaining enduros I think need to be "flexible" to the vehicles that are available in the "stream" wether that be minivans, SUV's (don't laugh ....they are just about ready) or whatever. There are some cars I'm seeing show up at the salvage yards I believe no one has tried yet. For instance: 90's V8 FWD cars. Not maybe for there own deal but they fit in with the existing rules and they should be plentiful. It will just take someone to figure out that or some other package to ensure that enduros stay healthy car count wise. We will always be an "attraction" to an extent, so keep that in mind.
As always, be safe and have fun.

wayne
05-19-2006, 03:55 PM
WELL SAID ART, TO JUST GET A LITTLE BACK ON THE ORIGINAL SUBJECT. DOES ANYONE DISAGREE WITH THE S10 BLAZER RUNNING WITH THE TRUCKS ? IS IT A GOOD IDEA ? :rolleyes:

racing#s
05-19-2006, 04:27 PM
I personally have no problem with it. I don't think many will object. When and if there becomes too many of them maybe then it would be a good idea to have a 'Blazer' division. If people are going to go with a Blazer, follow the rules, don't show up at the track and think they may not notice it still has the 4WD. Also must be model year 90-94, S-10's. I assume that this rules out Ford Broncos.

pitbull113
05-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Nobody will mind until the blazers start spankin' the field.lol :D