PDA

View Full Version : Favorite cars from the past.

btgoss
05-15-2006, 08:19 PM
I am starting to get my model table built in the basement, and while I have about 4-5 modifieds I am going to be working on (Including Billy Spade's Coach Modified..) I was thinking of some other cars I would like to build.
So he is my list. (Add to it or flame it... either way is cool with me, just killing time while Dubya is on TV blathering about who knows what now...)

1. Joe Sareceno's Red #61 55 Chevy Figure eight car. This car, along with Jerry Bowers #3, are what I see in my mind's eye when I think of a Figure 8 car, and yes..I am old... But this is one car I am going to build, and then I am going to find Joe and ask him to sign it, just like I had him sign a checkered flag a week for me back at Islip in '76. (Never got his signature down...)

2. Another Figure 8 car, and one that I think was still running up until not too long ago, Chris Young's red #49 Maverick. This was my favorite of the "new" cars... I liked it more than his Mustang... And I seem to think this car was the first that he painted red, but again maybe someone else can tell me for sure...

3. Believe it or not, Peggy Smith's red #21 Chevelle Street Stock. That car looked like something you would see on TV. It was just cool.

As you can see I like red cars.

Mortgage Guy
05-15-2006, 08:36 PM
How about Paul Macs Mustang, I'm sure that would look nice in your collection or what about Buzzys' Pocono Camaro. I am partial to the Street Stocks/Chargers. Good luck with your build.

Tracy87BB
05-15-2006, 08:41 PM
I always liked Scott Lehmann's blue Nova...

And Eddie Mistretta's maroon Malibu Charger car (circa 1991)...

Around about that same time (1991-ish), there was the yellow #19 Modified driven by Bob Park...I always liked that car, too.

btgoss
05-15-2006, 10:27 PM
Tim you've got one of the other cars I am building... that old mustang was cool.. I think there was like a "team" car number 100 as well that was running Freeport... I am going to build some old bombers as well... but there are almost no pictures of those things, so that will be all from memory.... Like Freddie Tuski's mid 70's Camaro, turquoise and white, that was a cool looking car, and the car that Campi's son drove, an orange camaro... but again, no pictures..

A Bill Park 19 is on the list, one of the wacky ones.. like the Camaro or something...

Fkraft99
05-16-2006, 03:26 AM
Granted, I don't have to history most of you guys have... but I LOVED Tommy Ryan's box Nova, with the digital numbers, in I believe either '88 or '89, by far my all time favorite Fig 8 car...

allhailunc
05-16-2006, 05:15 AM
Two that stand out for me were the 43 F-8 coupe that both Keith Repp & George Brown ran, and the Legends of Tony Naglieri.

310fig8
05-16-2006, 07:58 AM
One of my favorites is a Riverhead Modified I believe (it might have been a Sportsmen) in the 70s. The car at the time was a black coupe known as "The X-Citer" driven by Marty Kessler. The picture is a white version of the car.

Teds Race Tours
05-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Robin Vollmoeller had a Beautiful Blue Camaro that was awesome. Peggy's Chevelle was a great looking car too. I love Chevelle's, so Billy Barnes Orange 18 stands out, and Robin had a nice one of those too.

On the Modified side, Wayne Anderson's number 15 was the 1st Cavalier Type I ever saw on the track. It was a light blue, and had Chrome Wheels, what a breath of fresh air from the Pintos that were shoved down our throats in the 70's and 80's. Now I'd love to see some Pinto's.

Gary Cretty's Vega was always a neat looking car, and of course Charlie's Vega was great too.

Brett Bodine's number 12 with the Sherry Cup team in the 80's is my all time favorite race car.

unowho243
05-16-2006, 12:34 PM
i dont remember who drove the car but i remeber a station wagon in the figure 8's in the 90's can anyone help me out on this one?

W. J.
05-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Tim you've got one of the other cars I am building... that old mustang was cool.. I think there was like a "team" car number 100 as well that was running Freeport... I am going to build some old bombers as well... but there are almost no pictures of those things, so that will be all from memory.... Like Freddie Tuski's mid 70's Camaro, turquoise and white, that was a cool looking car, and the car that Campi's son drove, an orange camaro... but again, no pictures..

A Bill Park 19 is on the list, one of the wacky ones.. like the Camaro or something...

Two things I wanted to point out here, by using this quote: Mac's #100 Mustang is the same one, he renumbered it #98, as NASCAR disallowed 3 digit numbers around the time the Street Stock class was forming at Islip. He probably would have just dropped it to #99, but his buddy, Carl Miller, already had that #99.

I think the Bob Park car you referred to was his Mercury Capri #19 from the '70s

Now to look through my old pics to see if I have either of these, plus the ones Tracy mentioned. Give me a few weeks, though; there are other things more important going on right now.

Tracy87BB
05-16-2006, 01:24 PM
I have pics of both Scott Lehmann's blue Nova and Eddie Mistretta's Malibu, but my scanner isn't working.
:*-(

Mortgage Guy
05-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Tracy, stop at my office, we can scan them here.

Tracy87BB
05-16-2006, 02:13 PM
That's good to know, Mortgage Guy. I'll be in touch.

Fkraft99
05-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Chuch Hlacky was the station wagon.....

and another car I'm partial to is my dad's "little car", with the Mustang 2 body..

randomrodder
05-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Back in the old Islip days, Johnny Bush in his custom 55 (57?) Chevy #69 figure 8 car. (time muddles the mind).
Joe Hlacky's 56 Merc Figure 8 car.

randomrodder
05-16-2006, 03:17 PM
Chuch Hlacky was the station wagon.....

and another car I'm partial to is my dad's "little car", with the Mustang 2 body..

Chuck has had some health issues lately. He's up and around again though.

IDRIVEALARGECAR
05-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Hey Guys i am sorry but the coolest and baddest car i remember and very much was around my younger days was Tiger Toms 747 which i have pictues of and will try to get them up i also have a model packed away that i built in the early 70's of that car except his was a 61 i believe and mine is a 62 or the other way around to much has gone by for me to remember anymore. just wanna say hello to everyone up in N.Y. i am having a blast here living in N.C. Joey Colicchio

Jones44
05-17-2006, 05:39 AM
Glen Steger's #4 Pinto.. I always liked the way that car looked.

jimmy'z
05-17-2006, 06:01 AM
By the way; when you make these models do you buy a modified model car model or do you (this is what I do) get like 6 different models and add them to the pile of other models you have sitting in the closet and make them into something?

A few years back one of the engineers I used to work with retired and I built him a model of his old modified car as a gift. It was a lot of fun and I remember taking the model's snap rails and sanding and bending them to make the roll cage, nerf bars, etc...it was a lot of fun.

The last few years though mostly I've been working on HO scale cars. I gotta take some pictures one of these days.

310fig8
05-17-2006, 07:08 AM
Largecar is this the car you were referring to?

Tower Man
05-17-2006, 07:55 AM
My favorite is Luigi's #74 with the driver's seat in the middle. Had the Italian and American flags on the roof.

IDRIVEALARGECAR
05-18-2006, 11:01 PM
310 that is the car i was trying to find the boxes with my cars and so and still havent located it yet it will be months before i get all settled in with all my collectibles and stuff only sad part of the new house is no more basement. Joey C.

Tower Man
05-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Hey Fred, I drove the "little car". How the heck did I fit? I remember there was no room for both of my feet. (No comments from the peanut gallery please).

Fkraft99
05-20-2006, 12:18 AM
hey joe i think everyone in our family drove that car.... thats the car i drove in '04 .... lol

Tower Man
05-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Someone once told me, if there's a will, there's a way. Even when I shifted, my knuckles hit the roll cage.

Mortgage Guy
05-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Another great looking car was the Roger Oxee #39, the Blue Regal. That's the color you should go back to Roger. All your cars are pretty but That car was by far the nicest in my opinion.

Jaws
05-20-2006, 11:29 AM
# 1 all time

Charlie J's offset coupe (Ted I can't beleive that was not your pick!!LOL)

Others

Billy Spades coach from the early 70's

Joe Krukowski's 7-11 coupe -I believe that this was the last coupe to win on LI

Buzzie Reutimann's 00 Dover brake dirt car-which won an all star race at Islip and the trophy girl was playboy bunny!!!!

Bob Parks Corvair at Islip.

Teds Race Tours
05-20-2006, 04:14 PM
I never saw the Coupe Race. 1st time I saw Charlie, he was already in a Vega.

NYI
05-21-2006, 12:35 AM
anything that Ben Dodge owned. He had some cool looking modifieds

RGeeProductions
05-21-2006, 08:31 AM
# 1 all time

Charlie J's offset coupe (Ted I can't beleive that was not your pick!!LOL)

Others

Billy Spades coach from the early 70's

Joe Krukowski's 7-11 coupe -I believe that this was the last coupe to win on LI

Buzzie Reutimann's 00 Dover brake dirt car-which won an all star race at Islip and the trophy girl was playboy bunny!!!!

Bob Parks Corvair at Islip.
Jaws, it is very strange you mention Joe Krukowski and the 7-11 when actually it was Junior Ambrose that made this coupe a fan favorite first, WELL before Joe was asked to drive it.

btgoss
05-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Yes Junior AMbrose in the 7-11 is one of the cars I will get to eventually.

There are a few others, one for looks and two I just thought were cool.

Th car for looks. Pretty much the last coupe I ever remember running at Islip. I want to say it was a number 36. Silver and Purple. I want to say it was Ray Grenhan, but I am not sure. I know latet there was a mini-mod coupe like it, and the T-bird charger. But I am not 100% sure of the driver of the original modified coupe. But this car was a work of art. I have no pictures of it, but I am going to get to that car eventually.

Two others that I like:
1. Jimmy Kroll's mustang. As a little kid I just thougt that car was cool. I liked the guns on the door handles. (I was easily impressed.)

2. Mike Smith (I think). Yellow Mustang Number 5. I think Johnny Bush actually built the car for him. But Mike was a cool dude, a bit of a pimp. But I thought that car was cool. The numbers especially cool. With flames if I recall.

Here is a great link to some excellent work. I only hopeI can be this good.

http://www.fredsresinworkshop.com/phpBB2/index.php

http://public.fotki.com/61-RICHIE/models_too/

http://public.fotki.com/MarkAJeffries/

http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewforum.php?f=17&sid=44e951323c21f921723809ef0442bd00

And if JA wants to start a modelling section of the Jam, I am up for being moderator. And one for the cars as well...... :)

rydogg97
05-23-2006, 10:12 AM
i remember when i was a kid jerry bowers fig 8 car was one of my favorite i beleive it was a maverick. ed purcell's old jalopy fig8 car. another was paul growald fig 8 car. these were islip cars. peggy smiths chevelle and good old billy barnes with the great orange car. too many more too list. had pics at one time cant locate does anyone have pics?

310fig8
05-23-2006, 10:32 AM
rydogg follow the link below for a great bunch of pictures from the old Islip days. Marty Himes has done a great job preserving these for guys like us. http://www.thehimesmuseum.vze.com/
Marty, if you read these posts a big thank you for your efforts!!!!!!!! :applause:

rydogg97
05-24-2006, 08:35 PM
310 thanks for the great advice!!!!!! marty what a great website thank you!! :cool: :cool:

Gravel
05-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Can't forget the Bruno Brackey #171 before he went to the 71. One of my favorites.