PDA

View Full Version : Monte Carlo Egr

WEEZER
06-02-2006, 07:57 PM
If I remove the EGR on a 87 MONTE SS 5.0 liter, computer controlled car that is being built for the enduro's, will the computer see the EGR signal missing and put car in limp mode or will it run like a bag of ship? Just trying to eliminate some of the garbage on top of the intake.
Thanks.

richardpetey
06-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Pull the EGR valve off the manifold and block the supply(exhaust) side of the valve in the intake manifold. Then, re-install your EGR valve and hook all your electrical and vacuum connectors the way they were originally........................... :rolleyes:
The dumb-puter won't even know it lost the EGR....................... :eek:
Just remember to use a little higher octane fuel, without a functional EGR, the engine will have a tendency to ping on acceleration................ :help:
UNCLE PETEY................... :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
P.S. You could just eliminate the EGR and live with a "check engine light" on the dash. The signal from the EGR to the computer doesn't have a big effect on the engine management systems operation.................... ;)

WEEZER
06-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Petey, thank you. I already plated the intake and ship canned the HUGE EGR valve. I guess I'll just leave the electrical connector plugged or should I also junk that? I do'nt have a dash so the MIL lite is not a problem. I'm a poor guy trying to look like a big bucks racer ya know. Any other hints as to maxing out a
305 ci motor, (timing, etc.)
Thanks again.

art11758
06-05-2006, 10:55 AM
Sorry I have taken so long to answer. The EGR is an emmisions tool as I understand it, allowing previously enjoyed air back into the intake to be "burned" a second time, reducing some emissions level. I find it interesting that it will have preignition if the EGR is bypassed. That would mean to me anyways that the 'puter is expecting a "rich" condition when the EGR is functioning and add timing as a result? Or am I looking waaaay to far into this? On the application you are describing, is it TBI or carbureted? On the original 'puter cars I fooled with, when things stopped working the computer went from closed to open loop. Is that still the case? I would think that as long as the oxygen sensor in the exhaust stream is still functioning, the mixture will adjust accordingly.
I have another idea that might help you if you are interested. If you want I can email it to you.

richardpetey
06-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Yup Art! I think ya got this EGR thing way too far under the microscope............. :lol:
An Exhaust Gas Recirculation system simply introduces exhaust gases into the combustion chamber to lower the Nitrogen Oxide emissions.............. :confused:
The exhaust gases lower the combustion chamber temperatures and stop the bonding of the N and O atoms...................... :drool:
If you stop the EGR flow it tends to lean the mixture because of less volumetric efficiency and will cause a spark knock(detonation)............. :rolleyes:
The engine management system(dumbputer) can't do very much about it because of its narrow air/fuel ratio parameters, unless it has a knock sensor..................... :help:
Open and closed loop is just a term that refers to whether the computer is using preset parameters or the O2 signal to set air/fuel mixtures, usually keyed by the coolant temp. sensor, which at proper operating temps., puts the system in closed loop(using the O2 sensor).......... ;)
That's why a higher anti-knock/octane fuel, in most cases, gets rid of the spark knock.................................... :p
There are other things you can do to enhance the performance of your 305, but I'd rather not get into them on this post...................... :eek:
UNCLE PETEY................. :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

art11758
06-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks Petey. I never took the time to really understand much of the later model stuff other than what I owned which was a '84 DeVille. The 77 305 (with a bypassed EGR) that I stuck in my last beater has always pinged and I never fully understood why. And naturally I took lots of initial timing out of it thinking I was doing the right thing. Thanks again for the well written answer.

richardpetey
06-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks Art! Tree ears ugo I cudent spel mechanik, nohw I r whon............... :eek:
Sorry! I couldn't help myself...................... :help:
UNCLE PETEY.......................... :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

W. J.
06-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Thanks Art! Tree ears ugo I cudent spel mechanik, nohw I r whon............... :eek:
Sorry! I couldn't help myself...................... :help:
UNCLE PETEY.......................... :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Oh, I don't know, it looks good to me, LOL!!! .....................:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MOTORHEAD
06-06-2006, 08:40 PM
There another thing you can do that is not to expensive is to take the computer out of the car and throw it in the garbage, then if the distributor has no vacuum advance on it, go to the bone yard or auto parts store where a rebuilt distributor will cost about $70.00 and put it in, then set the timing to 10 degrees with the vacuum hose disconnected. The vacuum line should be connected to a ported vacuum port on the carb, that is it will only have vacuum when the throttle is open and by disconnecting the computer the carb will work as if it had no electronics at all.

WEEZER
06-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I've been so busy picking your brains, I haven't had time to even pick my nose. And Petey, all this talk about N and O atoms, wow, stimulating, what do they call it, this cooling effect, quenching?
Thanks again.

richardpetey
06-08-2006, 07:06 PM
I think the quenching comes after the first six-pack, hehe.................... :drool:
UNCLE PETEY.................. :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Hollywood
07-05-2006, 08:21 AM
well you guys. I'm throwing out 2 305 ci engines. one is in the Trans am and one is out. one I know runs, the other came with the car. Carbs, starters etc. If you want them let me know.

art11758
07-17-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm always game for free stuff....... where are they?

Hollywood
07-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Southampton..... North Sea..... There is one guy interested. I am down to one engine.. and 2 trans. engine is still in the car. I'll let you know.