PDA

View Full Version : Roll-over Contest "reunion"

deathwish86
06-04-2006, 05:29 AM
I was talking with a co-worker recently, and we started brainstorming. We both used to roll cars over, and there was nothing better than having a full field to do it against. Seeing as we are lucky to have ANY cars show up now the idea came up to try and get the big names together one more time. What we would like to have is people like Slim Jim, Long John, Gravel, and Doc show up. I would also love to see Tommy Walkowiak (Tomster), Anthony Aiello (the Snake), "Johnny Dangerously" and Charlie "Zig Zag" Soper there as well. I know there are some I forgot, but these are some of the names that not only impressed me but taught me how to do it. I dont know if some of these guys are still living around here or if any would be willing to do it, but i figured i'd try. We used to have a cut off of 15 cars, so far including my co worker and i there is a list of 10, leaving room for anyone else like myself who wants to take on the best of the best. I know its a far stretch but if any of you are willing, or can give info on where some of these guys are, and if they would be willing, it would be great.

LongIslandJam
06-04-2006, 07:33 AM
I think its a great deal to revitalize a division that hasn't seen much of the spotlight. But it's all up to the drivers you've mentioned to take the initiative to come back...

W. J.
06-05-2006, 07:47 PM
I agree, but a lot of those mentioned are now doing other things. That's probably why they aren't 'regulars' anymore. It does take a certain type of 'gutsy or crazy' individual to roll a car on purpose, just not sure if there is a new breed coming up. Maybe a monetary incentive would increase the entrants??

Gravel
06-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Walt,
In all honesty, purse was never a consideration in the 24 years I was doing rollovers. It was fun and not a thing everyone would do. It's just after a while, your body seems to like the aches and pains and doesn't want to let them go as fast as it used to. [lol] As for me coming back. I just got out of having my 2nd shoulder surgery,[it did not have anything to do with racing], so, I would have to say that I won't be doing it again THIS year. :*-( However, if anyone needs help with advice on setting one up, I'll be glad to help. Remember, safety first, fun second.

Mike "Gravel" Buksa

W. J.
06-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Gravel,
I only mentioned money as an incentive for 'newbies'. I also agree, safety first, fun second; thanks for bringing that up.