PDA

View Full Version : Yaphank Site

CIN
06-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Suffolk County is having another public hearing on June 28th, regarding the Yaphank Site. See link below:

http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/webtemp3.cfm?dept=11&id=2657

Hope to see some of you there. According to the site you MUST pre-register for the hearing.

Cin

PS: I had a problem with registering on-line...so I called the phone number listed.

Rich Mergl
06-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Not a good turn out today. But without posting anything I was told by certain individuals ( NOT TOPGUNSE RELATED ). I left very encouraged about a track being built in Yaphank.

tgse
06-29-2006, 07:00 AM
Not a good turn out today. But without posting anything I was told by certain individuals ( NOT TOPGUNSE RELATED ). I left very encouraged about a track being built in Yaphank.

Yes Rich--poor turnout was due to a complete lack of advertising on Suffolk Counties behalf--BUT for those who did attend it was very clear--that all the other proposers besides Top Gun are nothing more than mega-housing developments-with a soccer field thrown in here and there--plus a couple of arenas--some with 2000 seats--2000 seats?????????--the gymnasium in the HS where the meeting was held fit 2500--who in their right mind would build a 2000 seat arena in Suffolk where there's 1.4 Million people alone----kind of limiting your audience size and revenue potential--don't you think?? Again these things were thrown in to offset the Mega-housing complexes!!!

Question for legislators and Steve Levy?

What kind of economic stimulus does housing on the county property provide to the local community and county as a whole? :confused:

How does housing in Yaphank provide a sorely needed family destination on LI? :disgusted

What kind of revenue and sales tax to the county will housing provide in Yaphank? :confused:

Will housing possibly lower any residents school tax burden or at least help to defray or offset some costs???? :disgusted

What sources of revenue from all these housing proposals will be generated to help offset any increase in school taxes that come from all the housing? :confused: We know all the stats of .000000001 kids come from workforce housing projects--blah-blah-blah--does that mean you can guarantee that very few children will move into these housing units???? :disgusted

Besides the usual suspects ie: the LIA, BNL and Grumman--who supports housing in Yaphank??

What are the stances of the area civic groups , school boards, library boards, residents, fire districts, ambulance districts etc--how do they feel about housing in Yaphank????

THESE ARE ALL QUESTIONS THAT MUST ONCE AGAIN BE ASKED AND ANSWERS DEMANDED FROM STEVE LEVY-KATE BROWNING-CONNIE KEPERT-TOM ISLES-JIM MORGO

CIN
06-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Yes, it was a horrible turnout. With the exception of Top Gun, all were housing developments...or should I say...condo/townhouse developments...ridiculously overpriced. And as stated with an arena thrown in...or better yet a HORSE TRACK...Guess they didn't look across the LIE to PARR Meadows. After speaking to a couple of the developers (the ones that would actually get up off their a**es to talk to you) I realized this: they have no clue as to the surrounding areas, they are not interested in whether this would provide jobs past the intitial building of the area, what impact it would have on the local schools, if it would provide tax revenue, or entertainment for all Suffolk residents. And when I posed the question as to whether these would be gated communities the answer was probably down the road. Which then means that "I" as a Suffolk County tax payer would probably end up being restricted from this place, that is Suffolk County owned Land....

Well, I am off to start writing letters to Mr. Levy, my Legislator and Brookhaven Town Council person...and will start attending my Civic meetings.

I, for one, am not happy with the proposals, with the exception of Top Gun, of course.

CIN

jimmy'z
06-29-2006, 07:56 PM
What kind of revenue and sales tax to the county will housing provide in Yaphank? :confused:

Will housing possibly lower any residents school tax burden or at least help to defray or offset some costs???? :disgusted

What sources of revenue from all these housing proposals will be generated to help offset any increase in school taxes that come from all the housing? :confused: We know all the stats of .000000001 kids come from workforce housing projects--blah-blah-blah--does that mean you can guarantee that very few children will move into these housing units???? :disgusted

disclaimer: all IMHO
Following Long Island Tradition; 85% of the proposed "housing" will be 55 and over communities. :mad:

God help these old timers when it pushes us; the CURRENT WORKFORCE; off this terminal moraine :D

Short & Simple
07-02-2006, 11:01 AM
CIN, I have been following this project since the public meetings. There was a well dressed man who spoke at the 3 meetings and not at the latest meeting.

I believe he addressed the economic impact of housing, schools and infrastructure. He also spoke of the economic impact of the Top Gun proposal and how much tax revenues the County and State would realize.

Where was this person and why wasn't he there? He spoke so well and had all his facts. Someone needs to find this man and get him involved. He sure did know what he was talking about.

CIN
07-03-2006, 09:20 AM
I believe you are referring to Joe Larsen.
This public hearing was not like the last 3. It was set up in the gym at Longwood HS with each developer having a spot to show what their ideas for the property would be. Anyone who attended had the opportunity to look over what the developers were proposing and ask questions of the developers.