PDA

View Full Version : Andrews bumped.......

Mortgage Guy
06-20-2006, 11:37 AM
According to reports on MSS, Mike Andrews will no longer be the full time driver on Ed Whelan's modified. Ted Christopher now has that full time ride. Personally, I think it stinks for Mike, but business wise, it is a smart move by the 36 team. Teddy is a proven winner and they will have a great shot at the championship this year. Mike will still be running a limited schedule for them, but I don't know if it is in his car or theirs. Good luck to all involved.

RGeeProductions
06-20-2006, 06:23 PM
According to reports on MSS, Mike Andrews will no longer be the full time driver on Ed Whelan's modified. Ted Christopher now has that full time ride. Personally, I think it stinks for Mike, but business wise, it is a smart move by the 36 team. Teddy is a proven winner and they will have a great shot at the championship this year. Mike will still be running a limited schedule for them, but I don't know if it is in his car or theirs. Good luck to all involved.
Just note who mentioned that there and it was not a PR release nor Ed Whelan stating this.

Jaws
06-20-2006, 07:00 PM
"Just note who mentioned that there and it was not a PR release nor Ed Whelan stating this."

Anyone who knows me, knows I would have not posted the information without the proper OK from the team. I have known Ed Whelan for many years and would never speculate, just facts.

If you choose not to beleive it, fine.

Ed Whelan does not have a PR guy . So there will be no release right now.

I know some Mike Andrews fans are upset, but the fact is Mike was not bumped out. He will be in plenty of races the rest of the year, on the tour, at Riverhead, True Value races and others.

Best of luck to Mike, Ted and the 36 team.

Wheel Racing
06-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Absolute shame that TC pushed Mike aside. Loyalty does not exist. Why didn't Whelan put TC in the car a New Smyrna when he was crying about Joe Brady's car and then quit the team?? Why give Andrews the shot, only take it away, as well as a great chance to win the Riverhead championship this year? Awfully generous to say he has a ride in his OWN car for the rest of the year.

RGeeProductions
06-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Tim posted here he heard on another website, you [JAWS] didn't post it here. That is my reason for my post. I did not at all attack your credibility, as I have no reason too, but there are many here who have not been to that website, so therefore my post was to clear it up. It is now. Thanks Michael.

Jaws
06-20-2006, 09:46 PM
Sorry, I miss-understood.

btgoss
06-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Maybe I am a bit slow.
But didn't TC win the Jennerstown race in a Whelan car?
When Andrews did not make the show.
How much of a surprise would this move be really?
I know this is harsh, but look at it logically....
One of the most successful modified drivers ever... or some young talent...
I am sure Whelan won't make money on the Tour, but he will lose much less with TC at the wheel then just about anyone else...

Teds Race Tours
06-20-2006, 11:42 PM
Maybe I am a bit slow.
But didn't TC win the Jennerstown race in a Whelan car?
When Andrews did not make the show.
How much of a surprise would this move be really?
I know this is harsh, but look at it logically....
One of the most sucessful modified drivers ever... or some young talent...
I am sure Whelan won't make money on the Tour, but he will lose much less with TC at the wheel then just about anyone else...

Andrews also Outperformed TC by a BIG margin down in New Smyrna this year. Not saying Andrews is in TC's class(YET!!!), but it would have been nice to see him in an "A" car for the full season.

proschoice55
06-21-2006, 12:17 AM
Mike isn't really gettin the raw end of the deal here, he will be running a lot more shows with the 36 team. As a friend of Mike's and a member of the 36 team, we feel this will be a great move for all parties involved. Mike will learn and race side by side with one of the best wheels in the business...

This was just pulled off of MSS and this is as true as it gets...

"I just got off of the phone with Eddie Whelan. He and Ted sat down to iron out the details that will make Christopher the full-time driver on the Whelen Modified Tour (WMT) for J&S Motorsports., Whelan said, "This was a business decision."

2006 WMT Rookie-of-the-Year candidate, Mike Andrews, who started the season as the driver for the J&S team on the Tour, will continue on with the team. Whelan said, "Mike will continue to base his racing operation out of my shop, and he will have access to all of my resources. We all know that he [Andrews] is going to be a big star in the future. He [Mike] will run selected Tour races at Thompson, Martinsville, Riverhead and maybe a few others, and I will continue to help fund his operation."

Whelan feels that the opportunity to hire Christopher created a positive situation for everyone concerned. "Mike will have the opportunity to work with us and share information with Ted. Jumping onto the Tour is a steep learning curve and I have no doubt that he [Andrews] will have a full-time ride of his own." Whelan continued, "I had to do what was best for the team. Putting Ted in the seat of our primary car will yield the best return for the money I have invested. I consider Mike Andrews to be a close personal friend and I feel that he will benefit from this as well."

Whelan also felt that by putting Ted behind the wheel, his team is an instant title contender. "This creates an opportunity for us to optimize our performance immediately, and could help us land sponsorship for the future." J&S will only field a car for Christopher at the race next Thursday in Thompson, CT. "

I hope this clears is up for everyone...

-Doug

Ben Dover
06-21-2006, 08:16 AM
I generally don't post here but when someone writes blatantly wrong as Wheel Racing did, they need to be corrected!

TC was not complaining about Brady's cars in New Smyrna! He started the week in Bear's #14, which he quit before joining up with Brady's backup car.

Please get your facts straight before posting!

Wheel Racing
06-21-2006, 09:11 AM
I generally don't post here but when someone writes blatantly wrong as Wheel Racing did, they need to be corrected!

TC was not complaining about Brady's cars in New Smyrna! He started the week in Bear's #14, which he quit before joining up with Brady's backup car.

Please get your facts straight before posting!

I apologize and I do stand corrected. I just remember TC quitting a team and the Brady car being involved. I got a little confused, I didn't mean to be so "BLATANT".

meanmug
06-21-2006, 04:30 PM
This message is for Neil JR. Why don't you come up with some cash to fund the operation and then you can put whoever you want behind the wheel. Just for your information, Mike Andrew's car that he drove in Jennerstown had all of Eddie Whelan's equipment put into it, so you should probably find all the facts before you print something. But then again, you only try to drive a blunderbust, so what should we expect?

meanmug
06-21-2006, 04:36 PM
New Smyrna is New Smyrna and the tour is the tour. BIG DIFFERENCE GUY

meanmug
06-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Just for your information with or without Whelan, Mike Andrews was running a limited schedule at Riverhead due to funds. How was he running for the championship??? Were you funding the rest??? Blunderbust could get real expensive!!!!!!!

Teds Race Tours
06-21-2006, 04:56 PM
New Smyrna is New Smyrna and the tour is the tour. BIG DIFFERENCE GUY

The level of Competition doesn't matter when you are comparing head to head. Mike outperformed TC at New Smyrna.

meanmug
06-21-2006, 05:15 PM
better equipment does wonders

Mortgage Guy
06-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Meanmug, don't you think you are being a little harsh on Neal. What do you drive??? Any division at Riverhead costs money, he shouldn't be put down because he drives a Blunderbust. He already stated he made a mistake right??

Golf Guy
06-21-2006, 05:53 PM
I agree with Timmy, Neal apologized now be a man and accept the apology. No need to continue to bash him after this.

pitbull113
06-21-2006, 06:28 PM
No need to bash him period. Rookies shouldn't talk sh*t.

meanmug
06-21-2006, 06:52 PM
I am not bashing him for what he said about TC, but what he said about Andrews getting the shaft. I got a better idea why dont mortgage guy, golf guy, and pitbull 113 come up with the money for Andrews to run on tour level. You guys sit behind your computers and type incorrect information about people who put a lot of money into the sport we love so we can enjoy and you assassinate them with your ridiculous opinions, so step up to the plate and spend some money instead of abusing everyone with your opinions. P.S.: as far as your rookie comment, I have spent more money in the sport (of) racing than most, so you can take your rookie comment and!!!!!!!!!!.

Tracy87BB
06-21-2006, 06:58 PM
I think this is getting a little out of control here. Meanmug, perhaps you should consider cooling off a bit. For your information, Mortgage Guy and Golf Guy both sponsor multiple cars at Riverhead and do nothing but positive things to promote racing. Obviously, you don't know either of these very respectable men, as I'm sure they don't know you. (Sorry I can't speak for you, pitbull, as I'm not sure I know who you are.) Remember that this is only a message board (which, I might add, is sponsored by both of the above guys who according to you assassinate racing with their ridiculous opinions) and people write their opinions, regardless of what you think of them. Yes, sometimes the information that people have isn't complete or is downright incorrect, but I think in this case everyone apologized for any possible misunderstandings and/or misinformation. We're all only human. And, as for your comment about ridiculous opinions, remember that opinions are like behinds...everyone's got one and sometimes they stink. Just because you don't agree, there's no need for blatant bashing here.

proschoice55
06-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Whadya got for me chief...

LongIslandJam
06-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Meanmug,

I understand your frustration at times with folks that sometimes comment or speculate about racing situations. However, even the best of people do that (Neal, Mortgage Guy, Unique Golf, Hampton Jitney), these folks are all good people who've been around racing for ages and have helped a ton.

One of the goals of these forums is to clear misconceptions. Neal obviously had a misconception as did a few others on the Andrews-Whelan deal. Folks from Whelan's team cleared it up and provided us with the truth, and in my opinion that's a success from this thread.

Let's not attack folks who are unclear. Let's educate them. That way genuinely good people aren't forced to hide what they feel, and then can't find the truth.

If you would like to discuss this with me further, feel free to shoot me an e-mail. I'll be more than happy to discuss anything with you.

W. J.
06-21-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm reading all this and wondering why 'meanmug' doesn't come up with all this money he wants others to provide ("so step up to the plate and spend some money instead of abusing everyone with your opinions"). Does anyone else wonder if he has anything nice or constructive to contribute on this subject, or are we just going to be exposed to his diatribes against others whom he disagrees with? (I guess I get attacked next, LOL)
Neil did apologize for being misinformed, yet it doesn't seem to count with meanmug. Hampton Jitney is right about head to head racing, no matter what the venue.
Bottom line here is Mike Andrews, a nice young man and talented driver, came up on the short end of the stick through no fault of his own, and his 'fans' are naturally going to be unhappy about it, and make statements here (and probably elsewhere) that people will misconstrue as something other than their disappointment at what happened to Mike. Ted Christopher is probably the most diverse and talented driver out there today, and Ed Whelan has a team to run. He made the choice to go with a proven driver week in and week out, and still back Mike. Not necessarily a choice Mike's local fans are going to agree with at first look, but in time, they'll see the logic of the whole deal. Any exposure Mike gets on the WMT will be good for him, and he is going to be running top-shelf equipment to boot, so let's let this go, and get on with racing, since nothing said here will change what has already happened.

btgoss
06-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Wow his topic went over the fence quickly....

We all have to ask ourselves this... if we had a team that was well funded, and was the best new equipment...and barring our son or daughter wanting to race... who would you put in the car?

Personally I don't like TC, he always struck me as a bit too intense... but I would have him drive for me.... I increase my chances of winning and getting back some of the money I spent.. and I bet winning feels pretty good... where not making the show feels generally bad....

So, we should stop the name calling and start a pool for the next driver to lose his ride on the tour....

Wheel Racing
06-21-2006, 11:36 PM
I am not bashing him for what he said about TC, but what he said about Andrews getting the shaft. I got a better idea why dont mortgage guy, golf guy, and pitbull 113 come up with the money for Andrews to run on tour level. You guys sit behind your computers and type incorrect information about people who put a lot of money into the sport we love so we can enjoy and you assassinate them with your ridiculous opinions, so step up to the plate and spend some money instead of abusing everyone with your opinions. P.S.: as far as your rookie comment, I have spent more money in the sport (of) racing than most, so you can take your rookie comment and!!!!!!!!!!.

Wow this is getting out of hand! I am almost sorry that I spent the night working on my Blunderbust car, which was so belittled in an earlier post by MeanMug. I could have been following this thread closer and really gotten caught up in it. Just because I "try to drive a blunderbust", does that not allow me to be a fan of other racing, and other drivers in different divisions?? I used to go to 5-10 tour shows a year when funds were better and before I was racing myself. I happen to be a big fan of Modified racing and I felt I had a right to voice my opinion on this message board. Yes, I did make a mistake and I DID apologize for it. I was actually pretty embarassed for screwing up that info. As far as Andrews getting the shaft, I am not the only one who felt that way. I enjoy watching him race and was disappointed that this new situation could really hurt his career growth. I feel bad for him and I don't really even know him. My understanding is that Mike was running a full Riverhead season and after watching his progress last season, I thought his chances of winning the championship were very good. I am not affiliated with him and do not know his financial situation, so my "Opinions" were strictly as a fan. Maybe I got some facts incorrect, but not everybody is perfect. Am I not allowed to be a fan because I race in a support division myself?? You claim that Golf Guy and Mortgage Guy are hiding behind their computers, but isn't that the same thing you are doing?? Most people know Tim and Jim very well and see how involved they are in racing, so they are not hiding from anyone. Neither am I, because last time I checked, my identity was not hidden. Everybody knows who I am and I post under my real name. I have nothing to hide. I felt bad for Mike and was upset that the big name once again pushed aside the little guy trying to make it. I do hope it works out for all involved. I am not discrediting anyone who spends a lot of money on racing, so please don't take it that way. My team spends plenty, even if we are only a lowly Blunderbust team, so I do know the costs involved at all levels. Can't we all just get along? Hey MeanMug, stop by the car this week and introduce youself, I might even sign a flag for you if you're willing to accept it from bottom feeding Blunderbust driver. :)

proschoice55
06-21-2006, 11:41 PM
Man he's got everyone all wound up.. I think we should just pump the brakes a little bit, looks to me like meanmug is well... meanmugging.

meanmug
06-21-2006, 11:55 PM
sorry just got a little wound up over all the comments.

Mortgage Guy
06-22-2006, 06:31 AM
Meanmug I accept the apology, but just out of curiosity, who did you sponsor or what do you own? That comment still bugs me a little and I feel I need to say my piece, not bash you, just make a point of where MY money and Jimmy's money has gone over the years: Jimmy I will list mine and you list yours ok:
Proud sponsor of LI Jam almost since the beginning
Riverhead Raceway Charger division for 3 years
Scott Lehmann for 11 years
John Fortin
Chris Turbush
Chris McGuire
Jack Orlando
David Roys
Fred Kraft
I think that is most. Again, I accept the apology, but talk about not having your info straight. Wait till Jimmy enters his credentials. Back to the post, Mike Andrews will do fine and this may be the best thing to ever happened to him.

meanmug
06-22-2006, 08:00 AM
I owned the 17 team and know own the 36 team on the modified tour

Golf Guy
06-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Yes Tim, that comment also was troubling to me, considering many people besides you and I help contribute/sponsor racing and probably do not see the rewards in additional sales from it. I hope meanmug knows that we do not sit behind our computers and bash anyone. I, along with Tim and many others are out at Riverhead every Saturday night to support racing. Here is my list, I help, all because they are great guys and I want them to do well.

I help sponsor all of the following now or at one time:
Long Island Jam
Mighty Mike Mortimer
George Sprague
Tommy Walkowiak
Lenny Fischer
Jeremy McDermott
Tom Baldwin Memorial 77 Lap Race
Tom Baldwin Golf Outing
Turn 1 Cowboys

I just love racing and try to help out when ever I can.