PDA

View Full Version : Boring Heat Races

Jeff T
07-09-2006, 02:04 PM
Not for nothing, but every heat race I saw last night was a boring, follow the leader event. Since every car qualifies because of every division not having a full field, there is no need to push it in the heat race. Even if you come from the back to win the race, you could still start 15th because of the handicapping system.
What is the answer? How about adding something to the heat race that makes it worth while to compete in them. Why not add Bonus Points to the first three finishers season point totals? Any other ideas? Someone I talked to suggested time trials every night for starting positions. To me, watching that would be as much fun as watching paint dry.....

maestri fan 1
07-09-2006, 02:19 PM
That sounds like a good idea but too bad it won't happen. I still think that they should have Time Trials for the trucks every week. There are usually only 12-15 trucks a week out there, but it doesn't matter, it won't happen.

Hollywood
07-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Time trials for the trucks is a good idea........ I love the idea of additional points for the top 2 in the heats That would make things VERY interesting

The Bullfather
07-09-2006, 04:08 PM
BAAAAAAAAAAD IDEA! As a driver, might be a good idea with the trucks counts as bad as they are! As a fan bad! I even get tired of watching Modifieds time trails. But rather see the mods time because of the number of high competitors. (high meaning tough and good)

Hollywood
07-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Sorry Bullfather. I meant the top two in the modified heats...Give them a couple of extra points... That would be interesting

RACENUT
07-09-2006, 07:07 PM
Do Away With The Heats And You Would Have Enough Time To Run All The Divisions Every Week, Even With The Circus Acts.

EricBrill33
07-09-2006, 07:56 PM
If you gave bonus points to the top 3 finishers in the heats, there might be the possibility that drivers would be going at it too hard and would knock other drivers out by going for the points.

Jaws
07-09-2006, 08:58 PM
How about no heats you add 10 laps to the features.

NO TIME TRAILS, I can watch grass grow at home!!!

modified_fan
07-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Boring heat races are a function of the poor car counts. We've had some thrilling mod heat races when we had decent counts. How can one forget the one last year with Jimmy Blewett and JR fighting it out from the rear of an 8 car pack.

So many good mods simply don't race at Riverhead in 2006. Can management look within and perhaps increase the positive incentives that make one enjoy racing his/her car here?

This does not belong on this thread (and I'll start another one for it), but seeing Darryl Baker (Kevin Orlando's 99 Late Model car owner) turned away by track officials from the victory lane photo celebration because of the new regs (Kevin's crew and family numbers more than 10) was a darned shame.

One bummed out car owner = One less car = ever more BORING heat races.

I wonder if track management does the same math?

allhailunc
07-10-2006, 03:48 AM
It has been a long time fact that even when the car counts are below the max for a full field (when have they been more than that with consistency?)that they ill still run heats. Makes much more sense to just run times and get the show going. They are concerned with time, so why not just time every division and go from there? Running heats not only wastes time, but it also allows for the fact that someone will "Fubar" up their car and not have to worry about making the show, just having to make it back onto the trailer. But again I guess that which makes sense to one, doesn't to another. JMO

Jones44
07-10-2006, 05:41 AM
Not to defend the "policy" (because I personally don't like it), but I remember one particular LM driver who, when I'd say that I'd rather see time trials every week for every division (no matter the car count), he'd always tell me that he'd rather have the 10 "extra" laps to shake down the car and make sure nothing's wrong before the feature, and I'm sure he's not the only one who feels that way. But I still prefer time trials to heat races.

TractionControl
07-10-2006, 10:29 AM
The heat races are boring when everyone qualifies. With the LOW car counts,why not change it to make the heat races mean something.
In a heat race earlier this year in LM, only 2 cars finished while 3 parked in the in the infield!

Mods & LM have 5 cars in each heat, why not take the top 3.

Chargers have 6 cars in each heat, why not take the top 4.

JMO

Teds Race Tours
07-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Time trials for a weekly show are horrible. Now yes, the heats have been less than exciting this year because of low car counts. What they need to do is take the top 3 or 4 cars for the feature handicap. Meaning if the doesn't crack the top X amount of cars, they start in the back of the feature. Yes, this would create a "False" Transfer position, but that's kind of what NASCAR is famous for. ReCreating excellent racing conditions with Cautions for Phantom Debris, the Lucky Dog Pass, and heck, they even found a way to throw a caution on their Cup season with the Chase points reset. They are the masters and making exciting racing. This would fit very well into their repertoire.

Time Trials every week? I'd rather they start in alphabetical order. Takes less time.

sobe
07-10-2006, 03:06 PM
What They Need To Do Is Get The Car Count Back Up!!!!!!!!!!!!

allhailunc
07-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Why have heats when the car counts don't even come up to a full field? All this B***in' about too much time, well take a look at the next series of heats(6-7 cars maybe), and figure out if time would be saved by time trials. Never mind the one poor driver that always winds up getting stuffed into the wall and is done for the night. Time trials over, features start and you're all home in bed before sundown.

The Bullfather
07-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Well I'm dissappointed in car counts, but grateful for the drivers who come out week after week.

So some people need to stop complaining and stop being an old man!