PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of revisiting the victory lane policy?

modified_fan
07-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Dear Track Management,

Car counts are not exactly very good this year. Many drivers, car owners, car sponsors and other past racing supporters have found 'other' things to do with their Saturday evenings.

I watched as Darryl Baker, Jack Orlando's car owner, and a few others of his group were turned away because of the new victory lane rule. I implore track management to rethink this rule. You already did a smart thing by making on track celebrants exit under the flag man's stand to save time.

I realize that you can't keep everyone happy at this place. However, this 10 person rule is only leading to hard feelings which will hurt this place in the long run.

You've done a great job in shortening the Saturday night festivities by running a tighter schedule. Please rethink this 10 person rule.

Sincerely,

Douglas Corwin

DODGE99
07-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Yeah, it's about time Jack ... haha ... nice job and I'm sure you'll get some more!!!!

P.S. - does anyone know why they have a new rule stating that no more than 10 PEOPLE will be permitted onto the race track after a victory???? Jack won saturday and we had 13 people up on the ramp to go out for the picture, including a few potential sponsors. When we were informed that only 10 of our crew, sponsors and family members were allowed out, the car owner and the crew chief backed down and sat out the celebration in victory lane. Now I don't know about anyone else, but to me, the first win of the season means something and is something to enjoy, but Saturday night a few of the people who made that victory happen weren't "allowed" to enjoy it in victory lane.

P.S.S - not to stir up any more stuff, but Sap, congratulations to him and his crew, he's a great driver and deserved a win. He had 15 people come out onto the track to celebrate!

RGeeProductions
07-10-2006, 10:19 AM
This has been in effect since the beginning of this year. 10 people limit and also only 5 minutes or they were going to move Victory Lane to the setup in the pits. They felt people wanted a shorter show and some Victory Lane times have been too long, interviews and getting people off the track so the next division can come out to line up. Since this went into effect, all has been going smoothly, so it has stayed on the track, in fact more than 10 have been let in and came real close to losing the on track Victory Lane when Chris Young won, as they they spent more time then allowed but show was early and nothing was said. I don't feel it's right to cut friends, family or sponsors from on track activites but then again if limit is 10, it should be up to the crew, families and sponsors to decide who. We had a full thread on this and some Victory Lane times were posted from a night last year and I couldn't find the thread to show you but it was a lot more than you would imagine. Not really sure how this can be remedied as taking Victory Lane from the fans or cutting family, friends or sponsors from the picture is not the way.

luvmods
07-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Doug, I agree with your statement that the Track Management should revisit this "10 person" Victory Lane policy. I, too, saw Daryl Baker (car owner for Jack Orlando's #99) and several other crew members walking away very unhappy after being told that they could not go to Victory Lane with their driver because there were 10 people out there already. Then, after Dave Sap won the modified race, there were 15 people (counted by a number of people) allowed out from the pit gate ramp, and rightfully so. This did not go unnoticed by Daryl, as he was by the fence counting. Whether a team has 3 crew members/sponsors or 23 crew members/sponsors, ALL should be allowed to partake in the Victory Lane celebration! How can management ask a driver to tell any crew member(s), sponsor(s), owner(s) that they can't go out and celebrate in Victory Lane because we're "only allowed 10 people", so you stay behind.

In any racing division, you have dedicated crew members who spend countless hours (and all for the love of racing) working on their car. You also have the car owner(s) and the sponsor(s) who give their hard-earned money. And we certainly cannot forget the families who don't see their loved ones on many a night because of the hours the crew spends getting the car ready, and, of course, they're gone all day Saturday too. And, as we all know, if a car leaves the track Saturday night with any problems, depending on the extent of the problem, well, we can say goodbye to the rest of the week too.

With the weekly car counts (or lack thereof) and diminishing spectator counts, I would think that Management would notice and try to remedy the situation.

Lastly, a BIG Congratulations goes out Dave Sap and the entire #36 Team on a great race and a truly exciting win.

Teds Race Tours
07-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Victory Lane should be moved to between turns 3+4, and this would speed up victory lane celebrations. You could have 100 people down there, and still get them off the track quickly.

allhailunc
07-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Hey, what happened to the fantastic idea of the victory lane celebration off the track? Though the on track was just for driver & immediate crew-not everyone and his grandmother-guess we should chalk this one up for the circular file.

hollywoodmic
07-10-2006, 06:10 PM
I wrote that in a previous post, do the interview on the track and do everthing else over in 3 and 4. The only problem you may have is if one driver dumps another and the fans don't like it, then you may have a riot over there. On the bright side, you can have as many people over there as you like for pictures, and the driver can sign autographs, perhaps talk to the fans and one fan may even become a sponsor. Just a thought, I don't know how you would get the car out there unless they came in through the side gate between the Cromarty's office and the funnel cake stand. It could be real interactive for the fans.

modprincess8x
07-10-2006, 08:03 PM
The problem with taking pictures in the pits is that there is only one track photographer. He can't be in the pits taking pictures and out on the track taking pictures (which are needed not only for everyone to buy, but also for the track to use, in newspapers, on the website and for their sponsors). I say let everyone out on the track that wants to and limit the number of pictures that are taken. Right after the interview is over, take a group picture and get the group off the track through the starter's stand while the rest of the pictures are being taken. Taking the group picture first will get the majority of the people off the track quickly; then take family, crew and maybe a sponsor picture. Limit the amount of pictures to 5 plus the picture of just the driver and whatever sponsor the track has that night. It's really not fair that family, crew members, sponsors or even just friends don't get the chance to celebrate with the driver in victory lane, that's the best part! Just my opinion, though.

DODGE99
07-10-2006, 08:33 PM
First of all, from what my watch has been telling me the last few weeks, is that the "real" racing is over by 9 o clock. I remember when the races were getting over at midnight. And for the "victory lane" in the pits, that's been going real well, because the first time I have seen it in use was this week, but it wasn't a race car in it, it was a police car with the candidate for Governor taking pictures.

W. J.
07-13-2006, 04:19 PM
As RGee pointed out earlier, this policy was put into effect at the January meetings, and modified to allow it on the track (as opposed to the originally proposed off turn 4 area) as long as the limit was 10 and it was over in 5 minutes.
While it could be said that we have more time these days, what happens when we don't have that time? Will it just be more complaints about cutting down the amount of people again, and limiting the time? I think keeping it within the guidelines is the best way to avoid future controversy, but, in the case cited here, a few extra for this first of the season wouldn't have made it a big thing. I believe I also saw more than 10 people out there for Wayne's fine Blunderbust victory, and the 'exit at the start/finish line' policy seems to be working at cutting down what the Turn 1 Cowboys refer to as 'boring' time.
So where is the middle ground? I don't know, but I do see an awful lot of idle time lately, so something's got to give if you want to keep your fans and drivers happy. The suggestion of a 'meet and greet' off turn 3 after the race is great, but would involve some set-up work to get that area ready, so don't look for that to happen soon. More constructive ideas would be appreciated by us all.

turn1cowboy
07-13-2006, 09:26 PM
People like to see the driver celebrate. I know I do. The 10 people rule stinks too, like in Jack's case, he had some people that where thinking about sponsoring him and for the owner and crew chief not to go out, that's crazy. If one of my friends wins a race, you better believe the turn 1 cowboys want to go help celebrate, so we gotta find something. :wave:

44chargerfan
07-19-2006, 08:42 PM
I notice almost every week that there are way over 10 (sometimes in the 20's) people in victory lane. They could move it to the backstretch or even move it to the X but i would not like to see them do away with having a large number of fans/crew members out there

MY 300th POST :lol:

maestri fan 1
07-19-2006, 10:14 PM
I have to say that what I see is that some people the rule counts for and for others they don't really mind.

Turn2Guru
07-19-2006, 10:31 PM
Why not move Victory Lane to the back stretch, closer to the fans. Once everyone is out on the track they can line up the cars for the next race, then exit everyone out the pit gate in turn three. It wouldn't take a lot to make this move, just some white paint and a few boxes. Allow drivers to enjoy their win and you won't be holding up the show. I'm sure the majority of fans who sit on the back stretch would enjoy being able to see Victory Lane for a change.

RACENUT
07-19-2006, 11:54 PM
Why Do You Need A Victory Celebration At All Anyway? It's Just A Waste Of Time. they Can Call A Race Because The Time Limit Is Up, But Then They Waste 20 Min. With A Victory Lane Celebration. I Would Rather See The Complete Race Than Watch People Running Out On The Track. Maybe Then They Would Have Enough Time To Have All The Racing Divisions. Let The Winner Drive Around With The Checkered Flag, And Then Interview Him, So He Can Thank His Crew And All His Sponsors. Then They Can All Celebrate Together In The Pits. That's How They Did It At Islip Speedway.

Turbo
07-21-2006, 12:53 AM
The whole point of victory lane is to thank all your sponsors personally and crew members. Its a time to be the only car/ team out there on the track to celebrate what you have just earned, a victory. If you take victory lane away, it will start to be dull. If it's a waste of time for victory lane, why does anyone have it? From Nextel Cup down to your local short tracks...There really shouldn't be a limit to go out there on the track.. 10 people? I think that will just cover my family.. now what about the crew and sponsors? lol They need to be more organized out there so they can get it done , badda bing, badda boom. I like the idea of Group picture first, then they can clear off the track while the crew and sponsors take the next pictures.

turn1cowboy
07-21-2006, 07:44 AM
Turbo, well put. I like your sugestion. I'll see you in turn one on Saturday or at beer pong Friday at the barn!! :applause: