PDA

View Full Version : Who's Car Was This? History?

DAN D.
07-09-2006, 10:53 PM
I FOUND THIS ON CRAIGS LIST .. JUAT WONDERING IF ANY ONE KNOWS THE HISTORYT OF THIS VINTAGE MODIFIED? HERE IS THE LINK

http://longisland.craigslist.org/car/178814207.html

Teds Race Tours
07-10-2006, 12:09 AM
It looks like it might be one of Lenny Fischers old Mods. He was number 77 long before he changed to number 85.

Longtimeracer
07-12-2006, 10:24 PM
For those that like a good mystery.
I was emailed by Dennis Shivers Islip modified driver from the 70's and, Greg Shivers uncle about the car on Craigslist. He thinks it might be his #5 from the late 70's that Dennis ran it as a new car at only Islip about 2 times. His Vega was red with a white stripe. He crashed it at Islip and did heavy front end damage, never ran it again and eventually sold it. Mr Shivers has called the number on Craigslist but only got an answering machine.
I called Lenny Fischer. He had a Vega, but not with coil front end. Lenny has seen this car that is for sale at the 'head during either :confused: old timers day or at the swap meet and told me it is not his.
For those that care, More info to follow if info becomes available.

Jaws
07-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Seeing that old mod, makes me wonder how many other cars are out there.

There have to be a few more out there somewhere.

IDRIVEALARGECAR
07-13-2006, 10:01 PM
That almosts looks like the Vega that Tom Baldwin Built for former riverhead owner/ Promoter Vinnie Morabito way back in the early seventies, i just cant remember who drove it for him, i bet Wayne Anderson Would tremember.
Joey Colicchio

QUICKMC73
07-21-2006, 01:44 PM
The mod you are inquiring about is in Patchoque. It's at Brian's autobody. brian x pro

Longtimeracer
07-21-2006, 07:21 PM
:wave: Dennis Shivers called and spoke to the owner of the Mod, it looks like it is Dennis' old car. He and I are planning on going to see the car in the near future. For those that care about this subject, I will update when the car is seen by Dennis and or myself.

UPDATE: I went to see this Modified, it was Dennis Shivers old Mod. On the drivers side the number is still 5 as his number was. Mystery solved.

Longtimeracer
07-22-2006, 01:46 PM
:help: Since the mystery of the modified on Craigslist has now been solved, here is another car to look for. I would like to find MY old #28 Vega Modified. It was a coil over front, leaf spring rear ended car. Since my partner and I were trying to run a modified with little money to back us, I had put Impala spindles and rotors on the car. When I sold the car it was painted baby blue body with a white roof. It was numbered 28. To jog some old timers memory about the cars we ran and who we were, besides being "unknowns". The Mod I am looking for was driven by my driver/partner David Kroll a few times at the head in 1978. Dave and I had a "Bomber" (street stock now) at Riverhead in 75 and we ran a two tone orange 65 Chevelle #26 at Freeport with one feature win in 76.
I do not remember who I sold the Modified chassis & body to. I do know that the fighter Jerry Cooney ended up with it and he put it into car shows during his 15 minutes of fame. I saw the car in the Nassau Coliseum back in the late 70s' or early 80's
It was a 2x4 chassis that Baldwin was building and I got it from him when I was on TB's crew. I finished the cage and body and we ran it a few times until my driver and I went different ways.
If anyone remembers the car Cooney had, and knows where it might be, I'd like to know. :help: