PDA

View Full Version : State of Affairs for New Tracks in NYC area

LongIslandJam
07-13-2006, 05:03 PM
http://www.libn.com/article.htm?articleID=35655

btgoss
07-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Ok. This article has got me thinking, and that is a dangerous thing, I know.
I personally feel we do not have much of a shot of getting either track.... unless we can get more political support.
So why don't we make our own special interest group. Support the candidates who support racing. Do voter registration drives, publish a list of who is up for election and where they stand on our issue; racing... and nothing else... we are going to be a true special interest group... We can use the web to get all of the local fans across NY together and get a racing Governor, and State Senate...
Well... what does anyone think? Or have I have posted too close to the time before I take my evening meds? I think I have mentioned this before, but seeing all the political types at Riverhead last week makes me think we might get it to work.

LongIslandJam
07-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Brian,

Check out http://www.racerhub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8542

:)

art11758
07-27-2006, 08:05 AM
I dunno if this is the right thread for this, but in the linked article check out what Mr. Levy sez is goin' in Yaphank. Done deal or just hype??
http://www.libn.com/breakingNews.htm?articleID=5437&sourceReferrer=flashReport

W. J.
07-27-2006, 10:45 AM
It's a tough call, Art. There are a little over 300 acres at Yaphank, and TopGun is only looking at 250. 1000 units of affordable housing on 50 acres? Depends on the type of structures built, but it might happen that way.
You have to wonder how the people in the area, both those for and against other uses for the land, feel about adding 1000 units of housing (1000-1500 new school kids?) to their schoool district. It isn't over until it's over, so let's not pass any judgment yet.

CIN
07-27-2006, 11:02 AM
WJ
You're right when you say it is not over until it's over.
But we need to get more people to let their Legislator's know that this we want - more racing on the island.
Top Gun's website is back up. www.topgunse.com.
Under "Current Project" you can find who to write too.
We need to keep letting our "elected" officials knowing that we don't need 1000 units of workforce housing, but a place for racing and entertainment; which Suffolk County is sorely lacking in.
Oh and by the way...most of the developers - with the exception of TG - where proposing way more than 1000 units - one is proposing 3200 units with a horse track....
The time is now though. The committee (yes the County put the committee together again) should be making their recommendations to the County soon for an RFP. Would hate to see 10 people make the decision for all of Suffolk.

44chargerfan
07-27-2006, 12:11 PM
I can't see Longwood being able to fit that many more kids into their schools. They're already the 4th biggest district on the island. If the property is in Floyd, that's even worse, because they're 3rd on the list.

CIN
07-27-2006, 12:25 PM
The property is located in the Longwood District and South Country. Neither SD would be able to support an influx of students without further building, which then would be on the taxpayers backs. (of course what I was told at the public hearing by the developers was that "statistically speaking", these type of units would not produce that many children. Call me stupid, but with "new generation housing" the way they are proposing it to be, to have "affordable" housing for young people to stay on the island - if you have a 2 bedroom, there will be kids. Or do they tell these Young people that they can't have school age children. I think not. And we sure don't need anymore senior housing.) Top Gun is the only one proposing anything that would not place a burden on the school districts, or for that matter the ambulance & fire departments, along with all other things in the area. If you go on the Top Gun website, you can also link over to what the other developers are proposing.

Cin

W. J.
07-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks, Cin. As our up-to-date spokeperson here at LI Jam, you keep all well informed about the Yaphank site, and we thank you for your info and hard work in that area. :applause:
Like Cin said, got to TopGun's site, click on the link, and contact the politicians who claim to represent you, and let them know you want the Yaphank land used mostly for recreation and entertainment, not just more housing crowded into a too small area.

CIN
07-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Some more info:
When I asked these "housing" developers what these "units" would be going for, they stated that they would be starting at $249,000 for a one bedroom. I personally do not find anything affordable about that price. None stated that any rental units would be available.

FYI: Levy's take on this is because companies like BNL and Northrop-Gruman are looking for places for their people to live. Supposedly, they would help subsidize the units. Well, maybe they should start buying up some of the homes that are currently on the market for sale (according to the RE listings some 24,000 unit/homes are currently on the market on LI, from people that can no longer afford to live here)

We need sports and entertainment on LI. We need jobs. We sure as s... don't need more overpriced housing that will end up looking like Queens.

JMO

CIN

vsmidge68
07-27-2006, 02:39 PM
:applause: Very well put, Cindy. My house is going on the market soon. Tired of the struggle here.

CIN
07-27-2006, 02:51 PM
http://www.libn.com/breakingNews.htm?articleID=5448

Here's a link to an article today about home sales....further sends the point home that we DO NOT need these housing units in Yaphank....