PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys going to Pocono

turn1cowboy
07-22-2006, 08:12 PM
:applause: The cowboys are heading to Pennsylvania. We're bringing some signs. I hope you see us on T.V., were gonna be sitting on the front stretch, so look for those cowboy hats and signs. See you next Saturday for Tom Baldwin 77!! :wave:

LongIslandJam
07-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Enjoy Pocono Turn 1 Cowboys... Hope you have fun!

Bullet09
07-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Have FUN!!! Even though we all know you will.

The Bullfather
07-22-2006, 10:43 PM
You're not going to be in the turn one bushes? Maybe run out on the track like some idiot did years ago....a few beers, who knows what the cowboys will do! Maybe it's good they're not in the turn one bushes! But we may see a deer or rabbit tomorrow during the race, like in years previous.

The only stands are on the front! I grew up going to Pocono for Cup races and saw a few modified races in the infield. The biggest problem is seeing the race, hard to look down the stretch and hard to see turn two without optical help! Great track, great fan friendly track!

A few wishes, make turn 3, like turn 1! Maybe not totally like turn 1, but I think a 3rd turn with great banking would make the frontstretch racing that much better. Kinda like Darlington or Charlotte the 4th turn makes for great racing for the fans.

Love to see stands in turn 3, great action to look down the front! Don't mess with the 1st and 2nd turn stretch, the trees are awesome! You've got to love when animal wild life leaps over the fence!

Seems the track is starting to become rough, 2nd turn has a nasty bump due to the tunnel, seems Pocono may see a repavement sooner than later.

The owners, they are some the greatest in Nascar, great to the drivers and fans! I want to see at least one Busch race there, Busch East and man who wouldn't want to see the modifieds again. I understand about how much money it takes for a team to run a motor and chassis program for Pocono. But I CAN DREAM!!!!

The Indy style cars need to come back. IRL? I know they ran there, why did they stop? Was it because of turn 1? The Front of Indy is similar to Pocono long and fast, great to pass!

W. J.
07-23-2006, 10:33 AM
there are fewer repeat customers at this track because of poor sight lines, ever changing fan UNfriendly rule changes concerning, parking, camping, etc. Absolute worst access highways/roads of any track on the circuit, also contributes to the "let's not go to a race at THIS track again" attitude. A grandstand in turn 3 would have been installed by a savvy promoter/owner YEARS ago. Turn 2 was repaved only a few years ago, after the tunnel was rebuilt; the rest of the track could use a new pavement job.
Modifieds ran the tri-oval for 3 years, 1977-79, before being moved to the infield 3/4 mile track for 11 years after that. Pushed out of there by a Cup garage rebuild, they moved on to Flemington, a story in itself.
IRL/Cart stopped running there for lack of spectators during the beginning of their unglorious feud when they split into two. IRL seems to be the winner on that count, but it is strange that they don't run a track designed partially by Mario Andretti with that type of car in mind.
I don't believe a Busch race of any kind has ever run there, one of the oddities of the place, especially now, since Busch/Cup cars are so alike.
The Mattioli's have built a beautiful facility for the racers, but never had the expertise to hire someone to advise them on sightlines. The most often heard complaint about viewing a race there is, "You can't see the whole race". That is something that should have been addressed as Cup racing was growing by leaps and bounds, and it wasn't. It is sad to see such potential wasted, but that's the story of this track, unfortunately. If the Staten Island track is ever built, look for Pocono to be the place to lose a race date that will go to Staten Island.

Jaws
07-23-2006, 07:22 PM
I have been there a couple of time.

The problem is from some seats you can't see MOST of the track.

LongIslandJam
07-23-2006, 07:40 PM
I've only been to Pocono once, but I do agree, its a tough track for sightlines... But aren't a lot of tracks like that? How's some of the other bigger tracks like Talladega, Indianapolis, Charlotte? Just curious as I haven't been there, but I assume (which can be dangerous), they face similar sightline issues.

vsmidge68
07-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Staten Island has OH so much highway access??????

W. J.
07-23-2006, 07:52 PM
I haven't been to Indy, but the TV view tells that story, as soon as you realize how big the infield stands are. I've been to Charlotte and Talladega, and other than needing binoculars for distance, the sightlines are good, with only a few of the lower seats being a problem. At Pocono, the whole lower tier of seats is lousy. NHIS, Darlington and Daytona are other tracks I've visited, and none has as many BAD seats as Pocono does, and Pocono is the only one with a potential to correct that, by adding seats in turn 3, which has never even been mentioned as a possibility by the track.

CIN
07-24-2006, 09:28 AM
I went to Indy for the first NASCAR race. Our seats were on the front stretch; which I thought were going to be great. Besides having to stand the entire race (because everyone else was), the only part of the track we could see was the front stretch. It was fun to be there, but I for one would never go back there. I would rather watch it on TV.

Give me a nice short track like Martinsville any day.

On second thought, give me the "locals". Cup racing is getting boring.

CIN

art11758
07-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Staten Island has OH so much highway access??????
True. However Staten Island has something that no other track I can think of has though. Local rail acess to an international airport and hotels. Imagine if you will coming in from say Ohio (or anywhere else) by air to see a race and not need to rent a car to go to the races. Your lodging and entertainment are all accessible by a low cost shuttle. I know the whole idea is a bit "out there", but it is feasible and quite doable. Look for much of the supporting amennities for the S.I. track (if built) to come from the New Jersey side. I honestly think the only folks who would be stuck on the 278 to go to the races would be us Lawn Guylanders.

Slightly more on topic post:
I've never ventured to Pocono for the reasons stated. Even folks I know who went as guests of a major sponsor (Champion Spark plugs) told me of all the things you all mentioned. That was enough for me.

W. J.
07-24-2006, 09:55 AM
Art, just a note on the rail link subject. California Speedway has a metrolink station just off their backstretch, which delivered over 9000 fans to the first race ever held there. It's a great idea, and more places (like Dover, right in the heart of town) could utilize.

P.S. The turn 1 cowboys wouldn't have a problem getting there, they'd probably just ride their horses, like they do to other races, right guys?!! :lol:

turn1cowboy
07-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Well of course we would ride our horses, how else are we gonna get there. :lol: We don't ride them to Riverhead because we just drink too much and couldn't ride them home without falling off. :lol: See you guys Saturday, the cowboys can't wait to get back!!! :applause:

Ace
07-24-2006, 04:59 PM
I've been to the last 4 June races at Pocono. My seats are about a 1/4 down from the top and I have only about 25 people to my right. I can see most of the track. Anything I miss, there is a jumbotron in the infield that I can watch. The seats in the bottom section are useless,who would buy tickets and sit there?

I have my stuff ready to leave as soon as the checker flag is out. If you leave on Long Pond road you will sit in traffic for days. In the past 2 years I have found a faster and not much traffic to speak of route leaving the track.

LongIslandJam
07-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Yes, so have I and a friend of mine... It's called riding on bikes! :D LOL

turn1cowboy
07-24-2006, 05:55 PM
No, it's called after the race you walk around to where everyone camps and party with them for the night and leave in the morning. :applause: and play some game called bean bag toss and drink yet more beer. :lol:

W. J.
07-24-2006, 08:35 PM
No, it's called after the race you walk around to where everyone camps and party with them for the night and leave in the morning. :applause: and play some game called bean bag toss and drink yet more beer. :lol:
Yeah, that's what I did the last 5 years I went there. O:) I found some of those secret routes to get out, but the traffic you had to sit in just to get off the grounds was horrible. I never did try JA's method, riding a bike to your car, that's a good one. :)
Now, except for Talladega, we always stay over night and leave around 8 AM on Monday.

turn1cowboy
07-24-2006, 10:36 PM
Just like to give a head start thanx to Bonsignore Cart Shoppe, our newly acquired sponsor of the turn 1 cowboys. They will be sponsoring us for the Baldwin 77. Thanks again!!!