PDA

View Full Version : Just an Observation

Short & Simple
08-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Other than going to the races maybe once a year over the last 20 years, I have started coming more often this year. I have seen things I cannot believe are happening and I see things that impress me. Someone stated something about low car counts. I remember from 1999 until 2002, seeing many cars in most divisions. I never counted them, but it was many.
Now I see heat races that have 6 or 7 cars and they all qualify.
Not really knowing who is who, I saw an official screaming at a driver because he asked a legitimate question. Maybe there was more to what I saw, we'll never know.
In the winter I like to bowl, but if the management of my bowling center yelled at the bowlers the way this official yelled at this driver, the bowling alley would close.
Friends of mine told me not to submit this because the officials would have this deleted, because it is not nice. And the car I am involved with would pay the price.That's okay, I am not with a car. I am a potential sponsor looking for a team for next year. But from what I see, screaming officials, poor car counts and empty seats, I may have to reconsider.
Maybe I will wait and see if a new ownership gets announced and they hire a professional group of men and women.

broz
08-07-2006, 02:00 PM
You have a private message, please read it when you have a moment....

Thanks!

tstiles
08-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Officials have a tuff job. Sometimes they react in a way that they think will defuse the situation at hand. Don't get me wrong, things could be a little different, however in response to you and your bowling hobby. I did a little homework to respond to that......... just in Suffolk & Nassau County, there are over 50 places to bowl. If there was only one place to bowl, I would bet anything that the management of that one and only bowling alley would act a little different to the patrons... I'm not saying its right, I'm just stating a fact. If you owned the only show in town, you could spit on the patrons knowing they will probably be back next week. Yeah, you will lose a few, but this is not the Cup series, you're talking about patrons who are blue collar, median income people, who probably dont want to - or don't have the time or the budget to venture out to a venue 150 plus miles away every week. My point is simple; if you love racing and live on Long Island and are not rich, you will probably go to Riverhead, whether to race or to bring the kids, and they know that. So it's their way or the highway... However, after going to Riverhead and racing there, one thing is for sure though, if you respect the officals, they will respect you. If you come to them pissed off, or sarcastic or antagonistic etc... they will put up their guard (just like any human would).

nobandwagonhere
08-07-2006, 11:17 PM
tstiles:....You sure your talking about Riverhead? :help: :help: :-|
Short and simple:....some ARE afraid to say...but Riverhead Raceway has become Hazzard County.........you're right. :wave:

And by the way...do the math...it may NOT be the cup series, but if the track loses 1 driver a year, the track loses about $20000-$30000 a season. It adds up after a while.

Jimmy D.
08-15-2006, 08:00 PM
I don't think all the blame should fall on the officials. The blame is about 50-50. At every drivers meeting, we are asked to show respect for our fellow drivers, That does not happen. To me, respect is not driving under the white line to pass and coming up and slamming someone. Nor is it using the car in front of you as a brake, or left turning a car that is passing you. At the drivers meetings, we are also told (threatened), if you are rough riding, you will be put to the back or sent to the pits. Heck, I'm all for it. Use that black flag. Let's face it, you can threaten all you want, but until you follow through with it, it means nothing, and nothing will change. The only thing that will change is that the handful of clean drivers will get tired of getting wrecked and will either stay home, or they will start wrecking the guys that wrecked them. I chose to stay home.