PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of Mulcahys/Junior visit.........

racing#s
08-11-2006, 09:06 AM
So, quite a few NASCAR fans assembled last night at Mulcahy's. I am sure there were/are a lot of disappointed fans. It was mad crowded and I think A LOT of people thought they were going to be able to 'meet' Junior, and at the least get an autograph. So many people had items with them they thought would get autographed. In my opinion, anyone who's ever dealt with Mulcahy's knows the deal. It's ALWAYS overcrowded, & last night was no different. It was evident the crowd was getting impatient, but finally he came out. The first 15 minutes of the interviews were not audible, couldn't understand a word. It sounded like the teacher in Charlie Brown cartoons. But, overall it was great to have the top name in NASCAR in Long Island. He still seems to be humbled by crowds, and still appears to be down to earth.

fastgal
08-11-2006, 09:46 AM
I will be nice and say i was only disappointed. I would say worse, but I wasn't drunk and falling over like some of the others who had a good time. :rolleyes: I guess if I was blown out of my mind, I would have had fun, but as far as the Jr. thing, I'll pass next time.

Tracy87BB
08-11-2006, 10:05 AM
I was surprised that the place was so crowded already when I got there (around 7 pm). I had actually called Mulcahy's the night before (because I've never been there and really had no idea what it was going to be like) and the girl who answered the phone told me it would be fine to simply show up at 8; I found out yesterday morning that someone else had called Wednesday afternoon and was told that they should be there no later than 6:30 (which was just physically impossible for me to do). I actually even considered not going, but didn't want to pass up the opportunity (if nothing else, at least I can say I went). I didn't see it myself, but I heard that they did actually reach a point where they were turning people away. Surprisingly, I felt like a sardine shortly before Jr. came out, but by the time he had been out for about 15 minutes, there was plenty of room around, as a lot of people got disappointed/disgusted and left. I know that even some of the people with "VIP" passes who were entitled to autographs were disappointed with how even that went - it was supposedly like a cow herd being moved through, with no opportunity to even take pictures with him. I guess that's to be expected when you're dealing with someone as popular as Dale Jr. and such a large crowd. It wasn't quite what I had expected, but I did get to spend some time with some people I don't see very often these days, and I did enjoy myself (without being blown out of my mind...maybe I'm just not used to the whole "bar scene," but I thought it was expensive for beer, and I wasn't in any rush to consume a whole lot of them) in spite of the disappointment with the whole "Hangin' with Dale Jr." part.

The Bullfather
08-11-2006, 11:41 AM
I'm friends with a huge rock band that sold over 8 millions album worldwide. The worst place they play is NYC, they don't get enough time for themselves to chill a relax. They usually have a meet and greet before showtime. I've seen theses and they only spend about 10 mins with the crowd.

I'm sure Jr. flew in, got to the city, did PR all day long, and by time the night comes around, you're wiped out. I'd hate to be a NASCAR Nextel driver when it comes to the PR part. I'd love to be a driver and I'd love to have fans and all. But when it comes to PR, you're in and you're out, it's not a personal conversation, let's sit down and talk. Your best bet to meet Jr.; move to Mooresville and move next to him. lol.

I knew going in a lot of people were going to be dissappointed, but you've got to realize how many obligations Jr. has to Budweiser, that's what the bar thing was about. They brought him, the bar paid the tab to have him and get money through the door and at the bar. Jr. himself must feel like part of the cattle, just a little favorite by the wrangler.................did I say wrangler? Ok he's like a sheep with the herd being lead by the shepherd, just a little favored by the shepherd............Morgan Shepherd. :O) :applause:

RGeeProductions
08-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Some pictures are now posted on Main Page.

Teds Race Tours
08-11-2006, 12:14 PM
I have heard plusses and minus from those that I know that attended. Those that made it in, said it was sardines like inside, but Mulcahy's can always be like that. Another friend of mine didn't arrive until about 8, and was told the fire marshall wouldn't allow anybody else to go in. They did see Jr get out of his car, so at least the drive from Southampton wasn't completely for nothing. It sounds pretty much like I'd expect it to be.
Times have changed in 20 years. In the early 80's, the TV announcers used to brag about getting to go into the pits after a Cup race and meet the drivers, and that certainly helped the sport grow into what it has become today. Now, there is little to no personal time possible with the Cup drivers. I got Tony Stewart and Matt Kenseth's autograph at a Home Depot in Orlando last summer. It was very cattle like the way they get you in and get you out, but at least you can get an item signed. There's no going back to the early 80's, is there?

The Bullfather
08-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Security down isle 8, two gentlemen are hitting each other with #20 kids carts.There seems to be some kinda altercation between the two, paint cans are flying everywhere! Their headed towards bath accessories now!!!Somebody get Tony and Matt behave themselves, this isn't Bristol!

Teds Race Tours
08-11-2006, 01:02 PM
This was actually July of '05, so the swinging chain saw incidents hadn't happened yet. :)

W. J.
08-11-2006, 01:39 PM
I originally was going to do a front page story on this, but as you've already learned if you've read the posts above, it was a bit of a disappointment for those who attended. I had a decent vantage point (see the pics I took on Jam's front page), but the sound person who was working this wasn't too familiar with the equipment at Mulcahy's, I guess, because that was one of the biggest complaints; now you hear them, now you don't, as the guy fiddled with amps and wires. Combine that with the ever increasing warmth of the place, the background noise from around the room, and the experience was less than satisfying to anyone who built it up in their mind beforehand.

A really good rock band, Radio Riot, opened the show, and seemed to suffer from the same problem, sound issues as far as audio mics were concerned. The music, thank you very much, came out great. Roger and J.P., from WBAB came out at the beginning to get things started, and the mics were fine at that point, I heard everything they said. After that, the sound was erratic at best. The event was videocast on Budweiser.com, but I have no idea if it has been archived for anyone to see now or in the future.

Junior and Arturo Gatti came out for a 1 hour Q & A, but with a commentator, not the audience. Clips of Jr's racing moments were shown on TV screens all around the place, as were clips of Gatti's fights. Much of what was discussed was not discernable due to the audio deficiency, but even that was overshadowed by the volume of the cheering of those present everytime a clip showed Jr. doing some good racing.

I wouldn't refer to it as a bad experieince, as I know of people who would like to have gone, but had no pass to get in, so to have been there for the event was indeed an honor for me, but the sound system and poor acoustics for voice audio made it a less than memorable experience.

One ironinc thing is the idea that Mulcahy's brought in Junior (and Gatti) to boost business, which I'm sure was a motive. Problem turned out to be, I think, there were so many people there, it was hard to get close to where the Bud's were being sold, unless you were at the outside bars. I noticed the inside barkeeps mostly standing around, and always ready to serve anyone who got close enough to the bar. While there was an elbow to elbow crowd around the large bar, anyone more than a row away didn't stand a chance of getting much closer without a lot of jostling to get there, and then you could lose the spot you had on the floor unless a friend was there to hold it for you.

Lastly, it was good to see all the local drivers and fans from Riverhead Raceway in attendance. Some even had VIP passes and were able to obtain Dale Jr's autograph on a limited number of items. I would like to publically thank Bob of Marzzmotorsports for obtaining the passes that LI Jam had available for myself and a guest. A thanks also to Dave Brigati for the extra pass for a friend of mine. We also found out later that News12 used up some of Jr's time doing an interview, which may explain why he didn't get on stage until after 9 PM.

There is a link to see the WHOLE 2 Hr show at Budweiser.com. If you don't have high-speed broadband, don't even bother, it will take forever to view. Good luck, and enjoy if you watch it. (The actual footage with Dale Jr. starts at 1:22:00 into the broadcast.)

IDRIVEALARGECAR
08-11-2006, 04:25 PM
WJ its Arturo Gatti Gotcha Buddy :) :) :wave: NY'ers

Yeah, you did Joe, sigh! LOL! WJ

RGeeProductions
08-11-2006, 08:11 PM
WJ is on the list of members who don't want to be edited, LOL!!!!!!

W. J.
08-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Actually, that's incorrect. I edit myself, humbly, if someone catches an error, LOL!

Wheel Racing
08-11-2006, 09:05 PM
I had a good time myself, probably because I had no pre-conceived notions of meeting anyone. Like Walter said, there were a lot of current (and past) drivers there hanging out and enjoying a night together away from the track. They probably would have had more positive feedback if Junior was there without Gatti, and then possibly took a few questions from his fans, rather than the Marty Smith pre-planned questions. It was a good time overall and nice to see Budweiser taking a chance with a Nascar promotion in NY. Those that were the most disappointed were just the ones that had the highest expectations. Bullfather hit the nail on the head with Jr. having to deal with all the PR and not having time to meet and greet his fans. I would like to say thanx for the tix guys, it was fun.

fastgal
08-11-2006, 11:06 PM
The problem that bothered me the most was during autographs, when most people were in awe of a icon in racing, only to be snubbed without even a smile, or even a look, for that matter. He could have had a bad day, but when sponsors shell out 20 million plus a season for you, I think perhaps "just grin and bear it" should be the norm, not looking down at the table just to get "NEXT".

The Bullfather
08-12-2006, 09:41 AM
That why no one should look at anyone with high expectations. People are people, we all have good days and bad, even at work!!!

IDRIVEALARGECAR
08-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Well, what did everyone expect to happen at a venue like that? It would have been worse had the Rolling Stones played there. Thats why he, Jr., goes to this little out of the way place down here near his house when he wants to go out for a drink with his friends. I really feel for the kid, even down here he can't go anywhere without all the hoopla and fanfare. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind having all he has, but think about it; at times being a prisoner on your own property. But I guess that's the price of stardom.
Livin' the good life in N.C.
Joey Colicchio

fastgal
08-13-2006, 02:16 PM
It wasnt like Jr had to sign 1000 tee shirts. When I was on line, I was told there were only 55 to 60 that were getting autographs. Too bad the cowboys couldn't get a pic with him... it would have been cool.