PDA

View Full Version : Just curious?

Gravel
08-13-2006, 07:56 AM
I noticed in the mod results that there were 18 mods that qualified for the feature. However, in the heat line ups, there were only 17 listed. I didn't see Dennis Freese in the #80 anywhere on the track or the pits. Did I miss something?

Mortgage Guy
08-13-2006, 08:37 AM
I was not there last night but I also have a question. Where was JR?

modified_fan
08-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Dennis drove Bill Park's 2nd car for a half a dozen or so laps in the feature.

I have been told that Nascar does not include races in their point fund unless there is a minimum field. I have also been told that track management has asked various drivers (Wayne, Bill, etc.) to utilize their backups to meet this minimum field size, which in turn benefits the track and the drivers that are showing up.

The typical rumors swirled about JR, but I heard nothing factual.

Gravel
08-13-2006, 09:36 AM
OK, that part I understand. But I thought as a NASCAR division, to race in the feature, the car [or driver, not sure which] must make an attempt to quailfy. Mind you, I'm not complaining. It's better for the drivers in the regional point standings. Like I said, I'm just curious.

W. J.
08-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Though I'm not entirely sure about the why's of how this is done, it's already happened a few times earlier in the season, involving other cars and other drivers. It's like being added to the field after a consi, though none was run (or needed). I guess as long as the driver starts in the back, it isn't a big deal.

As to the JR question, no one that I spoke to knows why he was not there last night. It's more important to him than any of us, since it would be his loss, but I'm sure in time if he feels we need to know, he or his team will tell us. If not, just chalk it up with others who don't run weekly either.

Jaws
08-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Is that the same Dennis Freese that ran a Late Model at Freeport in the 80's?

RGeeProductions
08-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Yes and the same Dennis that sells parts at the track for YEARS..........

W. J.
08-13-2006, 12:15 PM
Is that the same Dennis Freese that ran a Late Model at Freeport in the 80's?
And in the 70's.....

Hollywood
08-13-2006, 12:44 PM
And the same Dennis Freese that will park your trailer for a nominal fee!

Thanks Dennis....

Jaws
08-13-2006, 05:16 PM
So Dennis puts out the "back in a 1/2 hour sign" and goes racing!!!

Here some pics of Dennis's Late Models.

http://www.lasheefs.com/Pages/FreeportLM/Freeportlm1.html

And go down 2 pic's for a pic of his mod.

http://www.lasheefs.com/Pages/IslipFreeport/freeport4.html

Short & Simple
08-14-2006, 04:39 PM
Okay, I'm new, want to get involved and learn as much as I can. So I called the NASCAR general number and asked the questions about field size and how many cars needed for points and point funds. After the lady laughed at me on the phone she said, "It doesn't matter how many cars start a feature. The purse is paid by the promoters and the point fund is a percentage of the purse." I don't recall if she said 5% or 3%.
So I called the track and they said they would take a message and have someone call me back.

allhailunc
08-15-2006, 05:22 AM
good luck getting a straight answer

Drumz1959
08-15-2006, 10:50 AM
They are talking about the Nascar division point standings. Riverhead does have cars in the Div 3 standings.

NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series tracks are grouped into one of four Divisions – Division I, II, III or IV. The Divisions are not based on geography or types of cars, and each Division includes a variety of tracks. The Divisions are equally weighted; drivers in each Division are eligible for the same point fund awards.

Each track designates one class of cars as its “top class,” or “feature class.” Drivers in those classes will be eligible for the NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series Divisional and National championships.

Drivers in the top class collect NASCAR points in each NASCAR-sanctioned event from Jan. 1-Oct. 1, 2006. NASCAR points are awarded per section 17 of the NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series rule book.

NASCAR bonus points are awarded based on the number of cars in the field for a given event. If there are between 15-20 cars in the field, each driver receives 10 bonus points. If there are 21 or more cars, each driver receives 20 bonus points for that event. Bonus points are awarded on a per-race basis, and are not based on the average number of cars at a track.

Each week, the driver with the most NASCAR points at each track – based on their entire season record at that track and including bonus points – will be ranked in the Division standings. One driver from each track is ranked in the Division point standings and eligible for the Divisional point fund awards and championship. Division standings are announced each Tuesday during the season, once the weekend’s race results are officially verified by NASCAR.

Note: It is possible for track championship points to be awarded in a different manner as NASCAR points, and therefore the track championship point leader may not be the NASCAR point leader and may not be ranked in the Division standings. Conversely, the NASCAR point leader may not be the track point leader, and could therefore lose the track championship despite being ranked in the Division standings.

Short & Simple
08-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks Drumz.
I was also informed it is the driver's best 16 finishes. So a driver in Connecticut can race 3 nights a week and take his best 16. But a driver at Riverhead is limited. So a Riverhead driver will never win the National title, let alone a regional title.
Oh, never received a call back (from Riverhead Raceway).