PDA

View Full Version : Super Pro Trucks

RacinRob
08-13-2006, 10:37 PM
What's the next set in stone date for the Super Pro Trucks? Is there no promoting for this event or what? The 43 SPT team, as well as the 97, both wanna make the trip, but we have no dates!

NEETS-1
08-14-2006, 09:07 PM
The Super Pro Trucks are, and have been on the schedule for Sunday, August 26th BIG DOG event since last December. The ad will be in this weeks and next weeks Area Auto Racing News. It has been on the speedway website schedule since January. It has been discussed on the phone w/ many SPT drivers that called me. It has been discussed by the drivers in the Riverhead pits. It has been posted and discussed on the Long Island JAM forums.
What else do you want me to do...give ya's all a ride here? Seems to me there is no interest by some SPT drivers to come here. I was asked by a few of you SPT drivers that said they were speaking for the division, to have a few special races....and I did it. I think you should also help out in trying to get trucks here if you want this to continue. Remember, the ARTS trucks are also eligible to run this too, as well as I think the Wall trucks.

RacinRob
08-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Billy, I was told by somebody that the whole idea was scrapped.....I'm excited to know its still on.

badone07
08-31-2006, 01:16 PM
On Saturday, the #38 truck from Riverhead gets tech'd, ran less motor and his 1st time on the track. Then almost wins his heat by 6 inches, against street stocks. Only to get sat down afterwards because he has a "truck body." What a bunch of BS. Like he disguised it before, during and after tech. Seems like someone didn't want their SS' showed up by a truck. We didn't finish our conversation yesterday, but might be one less truck driver there now.

Lad3der
08-31-2006, 05:26 PM
i am assuming since the spt race was cancelled on the big dog mod day, that the next show will be on october 21 like the schedule says.

NEETS-1
08-31-2006, 07:27 PM
On Saturday, the #38 truck from Riverhead gets tech'd, ran less motor and his 1st time on the track. Then almost wins his heat by 6 inches, against street stocks. Only to get sat down afterwards because he has a "truck body." What a bunch of BS. Like he disguised it before, during and after tech. Seems like someone didn't want their SS' showed up by a truck. We didn't finish our conversation yesterday, but might be one less truck driver there now.
WAIT A DARN MINUTE HERE JOHN!!!!!
Now, here's the TRUE story. I tried to be nice to the 38 truck and help him out. He originally called me and asked if he paid to get in on Saturday, can he practice w/ our cars so he can get some track time for the truck race. I said yes. Then when he was there, he asked if he could fit in anywhere and run a heat race. I said I would put him in with the Street Stocks for the heat and feature if he stayed in the back and NOT PASS ANYONE since this is the end of the point year for each division and all positions are IMPORTANT. he said that he didn't want to hurt the truck anyway and agreed!!!
He was "safety teched"...not divisional teched like you said, to make sure his truck was safe, not to see if it was legal to run. We already knew it was not legal. Dropped spindles, 3 link rear suspension, just to name 2 things illegal. The motors are about the same.
THEN...the 38 truck went out in the heat and started passing cars and made a mockery out of me. He screwed up a few good runs on some cars that were in the points. I called him to the tower after the heat and told him he did not listen to me and I did not allow him in the feature (as was not the deal from the beginning anyway).
NOW, why is it that I tried to help a guy out, he disobeyed the rules we set forth, I took away something he did not have in the first place and You BADMOUTH ME?????
THIS IS TOTALLY DISGUSTING ON MY PART TO HEAR SOMETHING LIKE THIS!!!! Just see if I help out again. END OF STORY.

Fisha695
08-31-2006, 11:17 PM
Ok I don't go to Mountain Speedway much, but what Billy is saying is right. If the driver from another track came down to get some track time, and they were not running his class. So he ran his truck with the street stocks, and he was told to stay in the back (for whatever the reason might have been) and that driver did not stay in the back of the pack, he should have been set down. I'm sure it's not because he "showed up" Mountains SS class. He was running his truck to get some time on the track, he was instructed to stay in the back of the pack, he knew that before he took to the track, and he did not do that, therefore, what was done to him was fair. I understand trying to get some track time and running with another class and being competitive as long as the other drivers car meets the rules of the class he is running in. But if the truck was not legal to run as a street stock, because of it's equpiment (not the body as mentioned in another post), then maybe it should have been put in with the Late Models, or a division that it was closest to being legal for (if there was one) or the driver should have done what he was told to do. I wasn't at the track and I'm sure that I don't know the full story, but if a driver did not do what he was told to do, then the action that the track officials took against him was right.

stomas
08-31-2006, 11:29 PM
They never told us that they get points for heat races.He needed to run the truck hard so we could learn more about the track as we only got 2 6 lap practices.Sorry if we screwed anybody up.Riverhead does not give points for heat races so we didnt think it made any difference.We will come back if they ever get the dates figured out.Now the schedule has been changed again to 10/14-15?World Series weekend. :confused:

Tom 38spt

fastgal
09-01-2006, 01:05 AM
I understand and retract my post, but the trucks have the most restrictive stuff in them. Don't expect a 310hp truck to run with a 450hp Late Model.

NEETS-1
09-01-2006, 07:52 PM
because it will not happen again. I hope the trucks are happy with all this intervening.

fastgal
09-02-2006, 07:14 AM
Gee, it almost sounds like an answer you'd get at Riverhead. :rolleyes:

W. J.
09-02-2006, 10:34 AM
I understand and retract my post, but the trucks have the most restrictive stuff in them. Don't expect a 310hp truck to run with a 450hp Late Model.
I think you are missing the point here. If you read Billy B.'s explanation, the truck was supposed to FOLLOW the field from behind, just like sometimes at Riverhead during hot laps, cars from other divisions test their cars out for during those laps whatever reason, then pull into the pits before the start of the race. If he had hung back 1/2 lap at the start of the race, he could still 'put his foot into it' to test how his truck was running/handling without being in the way of cars that were running a race for qualifying positions in a points race that was important to them. That is the point that Billy is trying to get across, and believe me, I know Billy, he's giving it to you straight. He really does care about racers, as he himself was one, and thankfully, he still remembers what it is to be on that end off things.

ladydriver
09-02-2006, 10:50 AM
I went to Mountain with a Flemington truck (very similar to a Riverhead truck) and did rather well against the late models. The bottom line is, Billy let it be known what the driver was supposed to do, and he drove up through the pack. He could have taken out a point contender, then Billy would have gotten crap for letting him out there any way!!!!Darned if you do, Darned if you don't!!! :wave:

badone07
09-26-2006, 06:02 PM
I was reminded about this post by one of my cousins today. Should've responded to this earlier, but got distracted by going to Virginia and Maryland for 2 weeks. :rolleyes:

First, I'm not affiliated with Riverhead's SPT #38 truck in anyway, racing-wise. Nor have I ever been. Know him basically from many years ago when he was pitted across from a bunch of DBR cars, back when he drove his Top Notch Nova and T-Bird charger cars. So it's not like he's a rookie. Nor does he have a comprehension disability. I'm not going to get into what was told to him by you, Billy or any other track officials. Might not exactly be the same thing, just like the "truck body" comment. Could've just been some complaining from those that were passed up. There's no way anyone of sound mind would screw with officials the day before a Truck race, after buying tires and paying for fuel & travel expenses. Especially after calling ahead of time and having his crew and himself pay at the gate.

I'm sure there was a black flag available to give to him if need be. He didn't rub, dump or get in the way of anyone. So not sure where he screwed up anyone's run to the front. He also could've been told he was able to run just the hot laps and then exit before the green. Which isn't uncommon at other tracks.

I've seen "safety" and "tech" inspections there before and know the difference. Prior to heat races or qualifying, I've seen illegal items get by, no problem, based on another Mountain driver's word (amazingly, he happened to post in this thread) or inspector's haste or knowledge, resulting in a sticker. Looks like someone assumed that SPT would run similar to the Wall trucks that have run in the KOTM in the past. When all the rules are taken into consideration, I'm guessing that if the SS's & pony cars had 1.94 intakes, dropped spindles, a third link (not a spring loaded torque link/bar), and AN ADDITIONAL 400 lbs (3300 lbs), he would've been able to race as long as he brought up the rear. ;)

That whole "points" reasoning is ridiculous and maybe only PA related. I've seen that before at Mahoning, where another Riverhead driver was allowed to run in the SS. That was until he was a second faster than everyone, with a LR flat, 1st time on the track, during warmups. Same excuse, except the aftermarket body and narrower tires made him too fast with the early 70's Chevelle package & chassis.

No, I'm not badmouthing you Billy. Like others, I also have an OEM bodied prostock/charger collecting dust, to which I haven't decided if I want to convert to a SS or not. Wouldn't take more than putting in a stock firewall and floor, but who knows. I'm actually looking forward to this truck race.