PDA

View Full Version : Mountain August 19th

leah28racing
08-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Anyone going to Mountain????

DOR 58 FIGURE 8
08-15-2006, 06:00 PM
YEAH, RIGHT!!! Are you looking at the figure 8 division to go some place else to race? Notice how many are really into that. Look at what happened to the Black Rock trip!

unowho243
08-15-2006, 06:11 PM
OK, but does Mountain even have a figure 8 course?

And I don't know about ther rest of you, but I'm kind of fed up with all of the attempts to take drivers away from the 'Head.

LongIslandJam
08-15-2006, 06:43 PM
Mountain does NOT have a Figure 8 course...

Figure 8's ARE allowed to run in the Late Models there with some minor changes if any. However, I honestly don't know how competitive a Figure 8 would be there with full blown Late Models...

Jim, I understand your frustration... I too agree that we should have higher car counts here on the Island. The best bet is for you (and everyone for that matter) to preach about Riverhead Raceway and how much fun it is being involved in racing. That's how you increase car counts and fans and sponsors, all of which are vital to the sport.

Lastly, there's nothing wrong with the occassional trip for fun. Just as long as it doesn't become habit.

figure849
08-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Roger is going to Mountain, only because the figure 8's are off and we are running the victory fleet # 74 late model. Then we will spend the week off at Daniels family resort. All are welcome.

RACENUT
08-15-2006, 10:08 PM
The Fans Might Be Able To Say It's Fun At Riverhead But The Drivers Can't Say That, The Way They Get Treated And Talked Down To.

nobandwagonhere
08-15-2006, 11:25 PM
Maybe if Riverhead was getting BETTER instead of WORSE, then more people would stay rather than looking for the back way out. How much can anyone take? Reality is....some are just fed up.

W. J.
08-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Then we will spend the week off at Daniel's family resort. All are welcome.
Can I get that FREE room with a Queen sized bed???

Short & Simple
08-16-2006, 02:41 PM
I think the preaching needs to come from the top. As a newcomer, I am appalled at the way the drivers and crews are treated. Having gone to a half a dozen or so tracks over the past 3 or 4 years, I am flabbergasted at how the Riverhead competitors are treated. And that is why teams travel to Pa. & Ct. From what I see, it's not about the money. It's about having fun. And from what I observe, only the promoters, the tire guy and the guy who sells sponsorships are making money. Drivers and crews are just looking to have fun.

Tower Man
08-16-2006, 05:15 PM
Let's get back to this Mountain thing. Let's get cars to Riverhead and stop this "wishfull thinking". I am sure a couple of cars could compete there. Roger, I believe, finished 6th last year in a Figure 8 car at Mountain. George could run well there, as well as T.K. in that old Chevy. So could Hyde.

racerwife
08-16-2006, 08:55 PM
We were there last year for the Walt DeMorris race. Yes Roger was there. We hung out together at Daniels waiting for the rain to stop, as spectators only. As far as I remember...Roger was lucky enough to borrow a late model engine I believe. These cars have a lot more horsepower than any fig-8 engine has that I know about. He said he had a lot of work to do to make his car even competitive.
And if we are racing there with our fig-8 motor, then it should definitely be teched for legality at Riverhead. Mountain is bigger and faster... gearing helps, but you need blatant horsepower to keep up with their hometown guys. More horsepower and compression than we are allowed to have in our division, I believe.
Yes, there were other teams from Riverhead there that day also, mostly late models, since it was for Walt. The teams that did well are the same teams that do well on a weekly basis at Riverhead. Engine power and good handling cars.

leah28racing
08-17-2006, 12:28 PM
My dad had worked every night to change everything over to race at Mountain last year. Yes, he had to change things on his motor to race there to be competitive.
This year he is going to race Carl Rackoff's #74 Late Model. It's going to be wierd not seeing the 28 on the track.

racerwife
08-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Leah,
I wish we were able to see him race at Mountain on an off weekend for our division. He did really well last fall with his car. And like I said, he made the comment that it took a lot of hard work to make his car an oval competitive one. And he did have to change his engine also, as you know.
Most of us don't have the offer of another teams loaned motor.

As for us...we will be clipping our car, maybe going to the Safer picnic if the weather co-operates. Paul will need some R&R after these past couple of days.

In any case...good luck this weekend. Hope you do well and have no problems. Enjoy Daniels'. Everyone of the Daniels' family and staff were really nice to our family when we were there last year. We had a good time with everyone.
Karen.

leah28racing
08-18-2006, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the support.