PDA

View Full Version : Illegal chargers

theshow7ny
08-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Track management is really getting out of control now after last weeks tech meeting. Declaring nine cars illegal, with three races to go in the season. they are out of their minds. I work on a car that was said to be illegal, and let me say that no official looked at it, other than some woman looking under it as it was on the ground. According to the rule book from Daytona, our car is legal. No wonder car counts are down, pulling this kind of crap in the middle of the season. :mad:

Mortgage Guy
08-22-2006, 12:47 PM
What did they say about your car that it was to low??? What was illegal about it??

theshow7ny
08-22-2006, 01:12 PM
They said our crossmember under the engine is modified not to their liking. That's what most guys got flagged for.

RacinRob
08-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Same deal with the SPT's....the cross members are notched either to fit the fuel pump or oil pan.....

theshow7ny
08-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Section 20f-11.2 Of The Nascar Rule Book States: The Sub Frame Must Remain Stock. The Only Modifications Permitted Are For Spring Buckets And The Bottom Of The Crossmember May Be Cut For Oil Pan Clearance. The Crossmember Must Not Be Moved From Its Original Location.
So Track Management I Believe Is Wrong And I Don't Think It Is Fair. The Penalty For The Infraction Is 100 Pounds On The Right Front.

W. J.
08-22-2006, 03:24 PM
I know a little something about this, as I discussed it with one car owner Saturday night. It revolves around the cutting and/or removal of the crossmember for engine oilpan clearance, and according to him, the NASCAR rule book says that is allowed, though track officials seem to have ruled differently. He said their proposal is to add 100lbs of weight just behind the "A" pillar on the right side of the car to compensate for it, but he felt that it will throw the cars 'off balance', requiring a change in the overall set-up to compensate for the fact that it will affect handling. The alternative is to re-install a crossmember in the car, with the appropriate cuts for the clearances required to not have to move the engine. This supposedly affects cars all currently in the top ten in the Charger points. Either way, this has definitely upset more than a few owners and drivers.

Jimmy D.
08-22-2006, 04:02 PM
The rule book also says under 20F-10.8.2 C, "The same tires must be made available to each competitor."

allhailunc
08-22-2006, 04:45 PM
Gee does that mean that all of those top 10 are going to be penalized or only some of them? :rolleyes: Seems to me, like in many cases, the "rule" book is written in pencil-which is why they include erasers. :lol: If a car/part is deemed "illegal", then there should be some sort of punishment handed out, but that punishment must be unilateral, not biased. Question I do have to ask is this: Were these cars inspected in the past with these "illegal" parts on them then, and if so, why wait until now-or were modifications made after an inspection? JMO

fastgal
08-22-2006, 04:59 PM
I don't feel the least bit sorry for the cars and trucks who purposely cut and moved crossmembers and control arms. I feel bad for the ones who are legit and are perhaps 3rd or 4th in points. You catch my drift. Altering 'A' frames and crossmembers isn't for oil pan clearance, it is for a advantage, otherwise they wouldn't go through the extra work to do it. They cheated and got away with it for this year.

RacinRob
08-22-2006, 05:03 PM
fastgal, you have no idea what you're talking about...it's not about going through the EXTRA work to do it, it's about getting the engine with oil pan on it in the car without raising the height of it.

Jimmy D.
08-22-2006, 06:07 PM
I just don't get it. I had a win taken from me last year for 21lbs. on their scales, that everyone knows are screwed up. With that, I think if your car is illegal, you should be DQ'd. Just like every other rule violation. If you're going to play by the rules, play by all of them.

LongIslandJam
08-22-2006, 06:27 PM
The NASCAR rule book is for Late Model Stock Cars, a Charger is NOT a Late Model Stock Car. Track rules will ALWAYS override the NASCAR rule book.

The question at hand revolves around this rule in the Charger rule book, located under Suspension:

1. Stock production lower A frames only for the make of the frame, coil springs must mount in the stock original position and MUST be factory stock for the make of the car.

This was fully discussed during the driver's meeting, which I had confirmed among several drivers.

Any questions, feel free to contact Walter Bonczyk at the track (he's a good guy, chock full of info) or any of the tech folks.

On that note, that's where it stands. I feel this is a driver issue and because of that, case closed.