PDA

View Full Version : Spectator Drags

Scotty Wolf
08-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Schlaugies should be ashamed of himself, that was not racing. I sure hope he did not get the 200.00 dollars, if he did, he should do the right thing and give the guy in the red Honda the money (and then some) to fix his damaged car. That was a BS, not a racing deal, a blatant frustrated move.

nobandwagonhere
08-27-2006, 01:01 PM
I guess you didnt see the prior spectator drag when the same honda ran the red firebird into the fence for no reason.

Scotty Wolf
08-27-2006, 01:07 PM
OOPS,sorry I was not there that night, and did not know about that. I guess it was a good move then lol.

Ace
08-27-2006, 03:19 PM
I thought it was BS! The red Firebird had HIS chance to payback the bad *** Honda, he nearly did put him in the fence off turn 4 last night. Schlaugies was BEATEN and wrecks the guys to win. What a joke, and to think that people were cheering Schlaugies when he left the track.

Old Man
08-27-2006, 04:43 PM
He is noted for putting people into the wall when he is getting beaten.
Remember a few years ago when he was winning all the time till a VW with a Porsche drive train was really putting a whipping on him and he put the guy into the wall on the backstrech.
Another thing is that spectator drags are supposed to be street driven cars but he brings a car that is set up for the track in on a flatbed and unloads in the back parking lot but is still allowed to race it against guys that drive their cars on the street every day.

BOWATCHER
08-27-2006, 04:54 PM
I'll take a rear wheel drive/ old school win any day of the week over an import .

Turbo
08-27-2006, 05:54 PM
They should make spectator drags every Saturday night. :applause:

The Bullfather
08-27-2006, 06:57 PM
A LOTUS?!? What was B. Sexton thinking..... Looked like he had Pallone but backed off a bit coming of turn 2, down the back after Pallone was pushing hard.

rabbid1
08-27-2006, 09:34 PM
best show of the night !!! time for a 4 cyl division . Good points Dave right on !

unowho243
08-27-2006, 11:38 PM
I don't feel bad for the red Civic at all. He put That red Firebird in the fence on purpose last race, so karma sucks!

And Schlaugies car is registered, so it's still legal. So what if he brings it there on a trailer, it's still a street legal car.

allhailunc
08-28-2006, 05:29 AM
While it's fun to watch, any moron that takes his street car out there and race it gets what they deserve.You can sure as hell bet that guy is gonna have one heck of a time explaining that to the insurance company. Sorry to sound so "down" on a subject/division that many folk like, but this is one of the reasons that insurance rates are as high as they are. :disgusted

randomrodder
08-28-2006, 09:49 AM
Give me the old 6 lap run what you brung Islip days. Now that was fun. Saw many a street car wrecked. I ran a Vega a couple of times. With 20 plus car fields coming in 4th both times in a 4 banger wasn't too bad. Fun part was driving around and through all the wrecks.
For the old timers, my Vega was not the blue one that won a number of times, it was the yellow one.

vsmidge68
08-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Sounds to me like someone should introduce these guys to the demolition division. That's when you're expected to wreck your car. Maybe if they were asked not to come back they would rethink their "driving skills" Chances are the insurance companies never even know these guys wrecked while racing. Maybe they got hit in the parking lot @ the Walmart..lol

The Bullfather
08-28-2006, 03:53 PM
The damage wasn't as bad as it sounds by reading this post. He did dent in the panel behind the passanger's door. I notice he checking his motor quiet a bit outside the track, wonder if he did something on the track to it as he was late working on the car before hitting the track.

Jaws
08-28-2006, 08:31 PM
I remember those races. They were wild.

It was a long time ago but I think I remember about a 20 car race and let me tell you, 20 did not finish!!

art11758
08-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Random Rodder and Jaws......thank you!
The Run what ya brung at Islip started during the Suffolk County Fair IIRC. I helped Neal Feola put a "good" engine in his sisters Road Runner for the first one of those. Besides the regular folks that entered, you had Mike Knoud (sorry on the spelling) and Charlie Viletsky (more lousy spelling) with two big cars they got from Chets in Deer Park beatin' and banging on each other and spinning each other out. When I drove by them they looked like they were laughin' so hard they couldn't see. They were still laughing about it later that day, said it was the most fun ever... I seem to remember some fella in a reaallly nice red Mustang stack it up pretty good that day too. Told his wife he was going for smokes or something. I finished sideways spinning in my own overheat overflow stopping right at the pit gate. Fun times indeed.

bulldozer
08-29-2006, 03:05 PM
I thought the spectator drag was the best race of the night. I have been saying bring them back for years now. I thought that move should've been in a Charger race. Does that green car still have a port engine in it? I remember winning a spectator drag. The next week I raced against a Nova with a cage in it, a three speed, and cambered wheels, and I ran my little Datsun 280zx as hard as I could into the third turn and bounced off his door, but the s o b still beat me. GOOD TIMES. RUBBING IS RACING.

deathwishracin1
08-29-2006, 03:15 PM
Do you have to realize that people are putting their street cars out there? Last I checked, you only win a trophy (I could be wrong, it may have changed). It's not sensible to damage your street vehicle or someone else's over something stupid like this. Yes, accidents happen, but you should be banned from spectator drag competition for purposely hitting another car. If you want to hit people to win, go do an enduro. Stupid people like that make me rethink wanting to run my 74 Torino out there (I've already run my 90 Lesabre and 89 Prelude). That's my .02 though.

bulldozer
08-29-2006, 09:08 PM
You are right, anyone stupid enough to race spectator drag should know they have a good chance to wreck. Street cars going as fast as they can around a short track, disaster. DON'T RACE, sit and watch. I wouldn't race my new truck out there.

W. J.
08-30-2006, 11:00 AM
The latest word I get is that someone put up $200 to see these two cars race each other. That means they each took the chance with their street cars to win that kind of money. They've both run many times before in spectator drags, so it's real possible they knew the risks involved. Sad it turned out the way it did, though. I agree with the earlier comment here that anyone who wrecks another car (purposely) should be banned from any future events (spectator drags, anyway).

randomrodder
08-30-2006, 10:05 PM
The people that entered the old Islip Run What You Brung races went in with their eyes wide open. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out you just might wreck your fancy car. Worse yet, Mommy and Daddys'.