PDA

View Full Version : Special Thanx

Wheel Racing
08-27-2006, 08:06 PM
I just wanted so send out a special thanx to a few people so that everyone could see how important the racing family is. My wife, sons and crew chief were victims of a nasty hit and run accident leaving the track Saturday on Route 25 (near Getty) that totalled my wifes car. Tommy and Gail Walkowiak, along with Scott Malizewski, were on the scene just as the cops arrived and before the EMT's. By the time I pulled up, Tommy was in the back seat with my kids checking on them, Gail was consoling my wife and Scott was directing traffic, (and then also towed the car from the scene to Tommy's house for us, so I could get to the hospital). Big kudos to the Riverhead Police Department for finding and arresting the guy who hit them and took off, as well as my crew chief Josh for scrambling to get the guys license plate(the whole front bumper came off before he left and Josh hid the plate) so that the PD could start the search. Hit and Run/DWI with kids in the car is not something I would want to have on my conscience and I am very happy he was caught minutes after the crash so there will be no question of his guilt. Christy, Austin, and Cody are all OK (Josh Too) but it was not the easiest thing for me to watch my 5 year old loaded in an ambulance with a neck brace and a confused look. I received calls from many people including Wayne Okula at around 3am offering any help as well. My crew, family, and racing family really came through at a tough time and they all deserve a big THANK YOU! Never underestimate the friendships that are formed in the pit area and the "Family" we are all part of!
Neal Jr

The Bullfather
08-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Wow, Neal sorry to hear about this, I left after the Modifieds and didn't stick around like I usually do. Where did this happen, on the grounds or pulling unto highway? I'm glad to see the blunderbust family band together and help each other out. Most important, I'm glad to hear your family is doing alright and everything seems to be ok. If you need anything let me and the Jam know. You and your family are great people and big part of Riverhead racing.

selah
peter

LongIslandJam
08-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Oh wow Neal!

I'm sorry to hear that. If you need anything, let us know at the Jam. We'll help you out in any way!

I'm glad everyone in the racing community pitched in when a racer was in their time of need. This is what makes our "racing family" great!

RGeeProductions
08-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Glad to hear no one was hurt and the guy was caught ....

BOWATCHER
08-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Just want to say hope everyone is doing well/ racing family did a great job.

BBWIFE
08-28-2006, 11:57 AM
OMG Neal....I am so sorry this happened...I am very happy to hear that everyone is ok. Whoa scary...also very happy to hear that they got the guy! Give everyone a squeeze for me!

allhailunc
08-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Neal-thank God that idiot :mad: was caught, for his own sake. The fact that all seems okay is great too. Make darn sure you take this moron for everything. To me, and take this from someone who sat on that other side of the fence (I was a lucky one-there never was any sort of incident). You drink, you drive, you lose. These people should never be allowed to drive again. Again, it's good to hear that all are okay. :applause:

wayne
08-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Neal, Glad To Here Everyone Is Ok. Better The Police Got Him Before One Of Us Did!

unowho243
08-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Glad to hear everyone is ok. Neal, that's a scary thing to have happen and also glad the idiot was caught because Wayne is right, if someone else would have caught him, there would have been a homicide!

I hate drunk drivers. One almost put me in the guardrail last Friday night on the LIE. 2 exits later, he himself was in the guardrail backwards with every side of his truck bashed in. It's people like that that you just want to smack.

Mrs Wheel 16
08-29-2006, 09:59 AM
I would just like to take a minute to thank everyone for all the e-mails,posts, and phone calls. We are all doing OK(banged up and sore), but OK. Thank God we are all in one piece.

Special thanks to Tommy for checking and helping with Cody and Austin, Gail for staying with me and calming me down and Scott for all your help with the car

It has been said over and over how special the racing family is and we are extremely proud to be a part of that family. When something like this happens you find out everyone is there for each other, it doesn’t matter how well you know someone or for how long, the racing community will always pull through.Thanks again for all the calls,etc.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart

Christy

tstiles
08-29-2006, 02:08 PM
What a great ending to a horrible story. I wish we could enter that hit and run guy into the next blunderbust race with that car he was driving. That would beat any spectator drag.... lol. He is lucky the cops got him and not a bunch of weekend racers.... lol. Glad everyone is ok.

Wheel Racing
08-29-2006, 08:04 PM
What a great ending to a horrible story. I wish we could enter that hit and run guy into the next blunderbust race with that car he was driving. That would beat any spectator drag.... lol. He is lucky the cops got him and not a bunch of weekend racers.... lol. Glad everyone is ok.

It was a 2002 Suburban. Anybody who knows my recent luck with Suburbans, will know that I would love the chance to go 1 on 1 in a Suburban Demo with this guy! Thanx again for the support.

Tracy87BB
08-30-2006, 08:26 AM
I was shocked to hear about this...I just heard of it this morning. I'm glad to hear that everyone was okay. I've known your families almost as long as I've been going out to the track, and I'm just glad that no one was seriously hurt and that there were others around to help you out. Mrs. Wheel, as a parent myself I can only imagine how traumatic the experience was for you, but I know first-hand how calming, helpful and supportive both Gayle and Tommy can be. I'm glad to hear that the moron was caught, and I hope that he gets punished unquestionably for his actions (rather than a simple slap on the wrist). I know you've probably heard it from a ton of people, but if there is anything you need, let me know. It's nice to know that members of our racing community put themselves out in times of need (not that I'd really expect any less). Kudos to everyone who helped, as well as those who weren't present but offered assistance afterwards.