PDA

View Full Version : Another track closed

Richie
08-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Catskill Mountain Speedway
Tuesday, August 22, 2006
Catskill Mountain Speedway Goes Silent

by Greg Hertzog
WHITE LAKE, N.Y. -- Effective immediately, all racing activities at Catskill Mountain Speedway have been discontinued. Current promoter Michelle Gannon sites a low car count and grandstands as the main reason that operating the Sullivan County facility is no longer cost affective.

To date, a third of the 2006 season has been rained out, contributing to the ill financial health. Another contributing factor to her making this difficult decision, has been a local ordinance which restricts racing to only Saturday nights. Last year a number of Sunday events helped fill the rainout void.

Geno
08-28-2006, 08:10 PM
CATSKILL MOUNTAIN DEMISE PUT ON HOLD
By Greg Hertzog

WHITE LAKE, N.Y. (08-28-2006) - This past week has been a roller
coaster of emotions for everyone associated with Catskill Mountain
Speedway. Things went south when then promoter Michelle Gannon
announced that financially, she could no longer manage the speedway.
In a span of just 7 days, the situation has come full circle.
Effective Monday, August 28 Donna Aumick takes over at the helm of
the Sullivan County 1/4-mile asphalt oval under it's new name, White
Lake Raceway.

"Racing resumes with a new attitude" says husband Mike Aumick, who
leaves his racing seat to help manage the speedway.
The Aumicks bring decades of experience in the racing business, and
certainly hope to parlay that into a successful stint at race
promoting. They're fully aware of the challenges they face trying to
get fans and drivers back to the track. In an effort to do just that
the adult grandstand admission price will be lowered to $10. Past
track employees are still being contacted, so their full operations
team has not been finalized.

Racing could return to the speedway as early as this coming Saturday
night, September 2. The biggest obstacle Aumick faces in making that
happen, is the transfer of all the necessary operating permits into
her name. There will be a future press release when the reopening
plans become finalized. Since there are only 8 events remaining on
the existing 2006 calendar, racing would continue with the current
regular divisions of CMS Modifieds, Pro Stocks, Street Stocks, Pure
Stocks, and 4 Cylinders. The semi-regular Legends will also stay on
the remaining races. Aumick will determine what other touring
divisions will remain on the schedule, and contacting them
individually.

Aumick's main goal for the rest of this year is to prove the
financial viability for next year. It has yet to be determined if
there will be any changes to purse, but the remaining races will be
non-points events. Aumick will be meeting with Gannon in the coming
days to go over the purse structure and other financial details.
"Michelle's (Gannon) been extremely helpful getting me up to speed
quickly" says Donna Aumick of her indoctrination.

As word of the track's brighter future circulated through this small
racing community, her phone had been ringing off the hook. Any
questions regarding the remainder of the 2006 season should be
directed to Donna Aumick, phone: (973) 764-9893

Richie
08-29-2006, 02:49 PM
Thanks Geno I just heard this today and was going to post it.

44chargerfan
08-29-2006, 06:17 PM
I was just at a camp there for 2 weeks and was surprised to not hear any racing. No wonder :rolleyes:

Scotty Wolf
08-30-2006, 01:26 PM
Just got a press release forwarded to me from Paul Dodorico stating that the track will not open this Saturday, but will be opening soon with a new promoter.

maestri fan 1
08-30-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm a little confused, is this the Mountain Speedway that Brunnhoelzl and Coll and everyone else is racing at?

LongIslandJam
08-30-2006, 08:04 PM
No, this is Catskill Mountain Speedway located upstate NY in the Catskills. Formerly known as Kauneonga... Many of our former Legends cars drivers made this track their new home...

RGeeProductions
08-30-2006, 09:26 PM
Formerly known as Kauneonga AND White Lake and Sullivan County....

The Bullfather
08-30-2006, 09:34 PM
aka, the track formely known as..............(your sponsor name here!),TFKA,

How much racing side by side do they get at that track, the straight look very narrow, the turns flat and the grass wasn't cut in ages. Maybe lawn mower races could bring in extra money.

I thought by now, Riverhead would be hosting drifting events, Wall Stadium has done them in the past, not sure if they still do.

randomrodder
08-30-2006, 09:57 PM
I heard a couple of old timers Sunday mention the track was closed, but maybe not down. I wasn't part of the conversation, so I didn't ask what they were talking about.

310fig8
08-31-2006, 07:35 AM
Bullfather, Wall does still do the Drift thing, and in fact, has it scheduled for Sept 9th, at 12 noon.

Scotty Wolf
08-31-2006, 12:44 PM
Bullfather......the place is actually a fun place to race (or spectate). The track is pretty much like old Freeport Stadium ( maybe thats why I like it lol), it is actually wide enough to race. The tracki s great for the Legend cars. I also ran in the 4clyd division there for a while, plenty of roon, much fun. Something to think about.....they do not allow mirrors(or radios) in the cars and I believe that makes for a better show, less blocking and more passing. I sure hope they reopen it.

Note: Legends cars do run mirrors, as per INEX rules.

Richie
09-01-2006, 11:38 AM
FANS HAVE TO WAIT FOR WHITE LAKE RACEWAY REOPENING

By Greg Hertzog

WHITE LAKE, N.Y. (08-29-2006) - The reopening White Lake Raceway, formerly Catskill Mountain Speedway, and will definitely not be happening this Saturday night, September 2. Though a tremendous amount of progress has been made in such a short period of time, there's still more that needs to get completed before racing returns to the Sullivan County asphalt oval.

"We want to make sure we do things right and have everything in order before we start racing" says Donna Aumick of preparing to be the new promoter.

At this point, picking a date for the start of racing doesn't make sense. It won't be this weekend, but it will be sometime in the near future. Once everything is in order and a date is finalized, a press release will be issued.

The remainder of the 2006 racing schedule and latest news can be viewed at the raceway's website at www.photosplusbylisa.com.

unowho243
09-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Bullfather, Riverhead does hold drifting events, every Thursday night.

Richie
09-14-2006, 04:46 PM
WHITE LAKE RACEWAY REOPENING SET FOR THIS SATURDAY

By Greg Hertzog

WHITE LAKE, N.Y. (09-13-2006) - Finally all the ducks are in a row and the reopening of White Lake Raceway, formerly Catskill Mountain Speedway, will occur this Saturday night, September 16. It's been 4 long weeks since racers turned competitive laps at the Sullivan County asphalt oval. But that wait is now over, and drivers and race fans are set for the return of racing.

"We really had a lot to get done to get to this point. Thanks to a lot of people, it’s finally going to happen" says Donna Aumick of preparing to be the new promoter.

The weekend racing program will include all the regular divisions of WLR Modifieds, Pro Stocks, Street Stocks, Pure Stocks, and 4 Cylinders. Adding to this special night will be the Legends and Northeast Vintage Dirt Modifieds will both be part of the night's racing action. The pit gate opens at 3:00 p.m., while the grandstand gate opens up at 4:00 p.m. Hot laps will begin at 5:00 p.m., and the first heat rolls off at 6:00 p.m. The new adult grandstand admission price is $10.

The remainder of the 2006 racing schedule and latest news can be viewed at the raceway's website at www.photosplusbylisa.com.

The Bullfather
09-14-2006, 04:54 PM
By the way drift no more, lasted a week or two due to noise I heard from a different site, think it was top gun. A drifter wrote it.

W. J.
09-14-2006, 06:57 PM
?????

What does that mean?

The Bullfather
09-14-2006, 08:48 PM
no drifting at riverhead on thrusday nights.